Away rotations for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeinateddoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been hearing conflicting things and just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Members don't see this ad.

You can set that up using the world wide web. Does that answer your ambiguous question?
Maybe you could invest a little more time into asking your question.

Reactions: 2 users
I've never heard anyone say they are a bad idea to do for IM at an institution you want to be a resident at one day, assuming you work hard & represent yourself well. The only specialty I have heard otherwise is rads.

I wouldn't consider myself well-read on this topic though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're great in person -- much better than you look on paper -- an away rotation at a site slightly better than you might otherwise reasonably expect to match at might open a better door. But if you look good on paper and aren't guaranteed to impress on the wards, it doesn't seem to be necessary or even advisable. Don't aim so high that, even if you are great in person, they'll ignore you for a 'better on paper' Harvard grad.

Reactions: 2 users
IM aways can be helpful at weird places that are out of your schools geographic area for getting your name in as a realistic candidate. I think for the average student, 2 is probably a decent number with at least one of those getting you a letter.