SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

away rotations for residents

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by radonc, Apr 13, 2007.

1. radonc

radonc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2002
    med students have been running this board for a while now, so i thought i would propose a resident-friendly question.

has anyone out here done a rotation as a resident at another institution? what have people been able to do in their residency programs? where did you go and why did you choose that rotation? have you heard specific things about other programs (which you may not have rotated at)?

i have the opportunity to do several aways during my next year and i wanted to get some ideas. i was thinking about going to st jude for peds and stanford for a month. any thoughts?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Boston
    yes U Wisconsin. Its top notch and was the leader in tomo (this was 2003) and they had good brachy (breast and prostate) that hopkins didnt at the time. Also jim Welsh is one of the smartest guys and best teachers in the field and i wanted to work with him as I had at JHH when he was there.

Why stanford?

4. radonc

Oct 17, 2002
    stanford...really, to do a rotation at a top notch place on the west coast for a change of scenery...

5. StanGetz

StanGetz 7+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2007
    I've heard that MD Anderson is a nice place to visit (maybe not necessarily Houston). Good volume and I've heard they have excellent conferences and tumor boards. Plus protons. I would definitely agree with Stanford since it's in such as a nice location and I'm sure their expertise is as good as anywhere else. If not there, how about UCSF? Pretty much the same beautiful area. How about Harvard for protons?

If you're considering an academic job, I might suggest you go wherever you'd like to take a job, though it's hard to predict if there'd be a job opening.

6. clintpark

clintpark Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Has anyone done this externship offered through ABR? What was your experience like? Thank you.

7. radonc

Oct 17, 2002
    what is the externship offered by the ABR (American board of radiology??)?

8. clintpark

clintpark Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sorry, I meant to say ABS (American Brachytherapy Society). I remember receiving this brochure from Seattle area (Seattle Prostate Institute?) for a 2 week course on brachytherapy. I would like to know if anyone has any personal experience. Thank you.

9. radonc

Oct 17, 2002
    ah ok, ive heard that during the 2 week rotation at seattle, although you are on a scholarship, the residents at the program get first dibs on some of the procedures there. plus, there may be private docs that pay a lot of $$$ to participate as well.

does anyone know of established international rotations in radonc?

10. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Boston
    i think acro has scholarships too (or did). my friend ahd one.

11. radonc

Oct 17, 2002
    they still do.

astro offers travel grants to their smaller meetings, as does arrs, acro, aacr, and others.

12. BigEasy

BigEasy

Oct 21, 2006
    I am also interested in hearing about opportunities for residents to rotate overseas. Are there any established rotations, can we set them up with other institutions abroad, and are there restrictions or limitations to what residents can do based on insurance/GME policies? If anyone has had any experiences I would be very interested in hearing about them. Thanks!

13. cdf95cro

cdf95cro Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Houston
    A friend who's a resident in Innsbruck sent me this when I was a fourth year; apparently you can choose what Dept. to rotate with... I tried to set up a rotation in Innsbruck but ran out of elective time :(

http://www.aaf-online.org/clinical.htm