Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Away rotations & residency

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by PTH859, Mar 27, 2002.

1. PTH859

PTH859 New Member

I'm a 3rd year trying to plan out my electives for next year. I'm in the midwest but would like go for an IM residency in the east/mid-atlantic region. So far really like these programs: UVA, MCV, GW, Gerogetown, Maryland, Jefferson, Temple, and a few others in NY, NJ. My advisor has really emphasized doing an away elective in one of the places that i'm really interested in. Unfortunately, i had to take couple of months off in 3rd year and scheduling an away elective has become rather cumbersome, if not impossible. I'm wondering how much this would play in to the selection process. Should i try to schedule an away elective at all cost? Would greatly appreciate any advice in this matter.
    And just to help assess my situation, my academic record is descent at best, top 1/3 of class, 1-2 honors in years 1 & 2 and so far 6 months of clinical honors in year 3. Fortunately did better on step 1 (244). LORs should be good.
    Thanks again for any feedback

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Whisker Barrel Cortex

Opinions on doing away rotations change from person to person. For IM and most other specialties (exceptions include ortho, ENT, neurosurg), an away rotation is by no means necessary to match into a great program. I have read and heard from many sources that if you are a good applicant (as it seems you are from your stats), doing away rotations can actually hurt you more than they help. If you don't absolutely shine (which can be hard to do at a new hospital in a different city), they opinion of you may be worse after the rotation.

Most people that match in IM do not do away rotations at these sites and I don't think you should do one if it is going to put extra stress on you in early fourth year when you are in the midst of the application process.

Several people from my midwest school class matched into great east coast programs with stats similar or not as good as yours (including Maryland, Duke) without rotating there. Good luck.

4. BeeGee

BeeGee Member

Whisker or anyone else, what about general surgery? I am interested in several programs like Maryland, U of Virginia, UNC, Emory, Mayo, Georgetown, Baylor, etc. Do you think I need to do rotations at these programs just to get my foot in the door? Also, do you have any other advice about these programs? Thanks in advance. --BeeGee

5. PTH859

PTH859 New Member

Thanks a lot whisker, appreciate your advice.

6. LaCirujana

LaCirujana Smoking Gun

BeeGee--
    I would agree with WBC's assessment that in a lot of cases, doing an away rotation can often hurt, rather than help you. Only in the most competitive specialties would I seriously consider doing one. On the other hand, if you have your heart set on one specific program in general surgery and you feel confident that you can positively shine on your away rotation, it MIGHT be worth doing. I would also say it can depend on your other stats (grades, board scores, LORs, etc.) I didn't do a single away rotation but I do have good "stats" and I matched into an competitive, top-tier general surgery program.

As to the specific programs you mentioned, I can give you more details about them in a PM if you want, but without knowing more about you, it's hard to give any sort of responsible advice.