1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Awesome Extracurriculars

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by COMBAT MEDIC172, Jan 5, 2009.

1. COMBAT MEDIC172

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :

#1 COMBAT MEDIC172, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emttim

emttim Addicted to SCUBA
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Thank you for your service. Quite honestly, your experiences, leadership, etc. are simply amazing. If you can bring your GPA up even further and score well on the MCAT, I see no reason why you won't get in somewhere.

4. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One small point: your medic stuff is work, not an EC.

For ECs, they want you to provide evidence of clinical exposure (you got that as a medic) but also want to see your altruistic side through volunteer activities.

For you, a volunteer EC need not be a clinical activity, too. You could do just about anything.

5. COMBAT MEDIC172

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you , I had a bad first year. I have been getting A,s since I started college again. However I have four C's in my generals from years ago. Oh well we live and learn.

6. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Uh, . . . I think your altuistic side has been adequately demonstrated by your volunteer service in the military.

7. exoslimjim

2+ Year Member

I seriously don't believe he would need any more ECs/work/activities or clinical. and you were an officer right?

focus on GPA and mcat?

8. COMBAT MEDIC172

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    emttim , you have some very impressive experiences as well. It seems like students are starting to realize to start early. I think the average amount of E.C. 's now will be irrelevant in a few short years with all the outstanding oppurtunities out their for students.

9. HawaiianPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I wish more people today had that kind of attitude. Even with the GPA you still have a good application, good luck!

10. COMBAT MEDIC172

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    exoslim jim , I am still currently a Non commisioned officer wich is enlisted. (SGT). The commisioned officers are the captains and majors ect...

#9 COMBAT MEDIC172, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  11. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would agree with that, but I have read enough posts by people in health careers (nurses, EMTs, etc) who report that, as insane as it sounds, med schools want to see volunteer activities.

If you are paid for an activity, it isn't volunteerism, and even though the work you do may be very altruistic in nature (say a social worker), everything I have read indicates that you need to have some sort of volunteer activity in the service of "those less fortunate" than yourself...

For all the hell we go through in applying for med school, I wouldn't want this to be the reason this dude doesn't get in...better safe than sorry...cover every base...

Maybe he should post here or on the non-trad thread an open question for people who have gone down this path before him...

12. Mike7704

Mike7704 Undergrad
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    you might have a problem because you only scored a 3 on the MCAT

13. emttim

emttim Addicted to SCUBA
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    You would think...I wonder if adcoms would consider it as such. Volunteer seems to be defined as stuff that isn't paid, but honestly, the dictionary definition of voluntary is something you chose to do that you didn't have to. The military is all-volunteer so I don't see why that wouldn't qualify as volunteer experience. *shrugs*

Thanks cmedic...well, hopefully it won't get too much more competitive than it already is. The amount of people who do stuff just to impress adcoms as it is has become quite ridiculous. One of my fellow students in the paramedic program I'm in is a National Registry skills instructor and he says a common problem with the UC Davis EMT program that he helps out with is all these pre-meds come through and they don't care about doing the skills right, understanding the material, etc...they just want the cert to say "look, see I did something medical, yay me!" to adcoms. I think the aforementioned sort of behavior will only get worse if it gets even more competitive.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with flip. On the flip side (I had to :p), you could always do something such as search & rescue for a volunteer activity...I don't know about you, but hell I'd do that on my own anyway with or without applying to med school just because that sort of **** is fun. Some of the S&R groups get pretty hardcore into it too...in Placer county not too far from where I live, the mountain S&R team that operates out of the sheriff's dept there actually is trained to the point where they will rappell out of a helicopter into mountain terrain to initiate a search for a missing person.

I dunno about you guys but I'd rather do that as a volunteer gig than fold sheets at a hospital.

14. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Looks great so far. I disagree with the lack of altruistic volunteerism. Not all schools are big about this and certainly no one can say that you've been wasting your time on less important activities.

You have altruism, clinical experience (foreign + domestic), leadership + teaching, and two more years left to improve your GPA.

I would only caution against doing too much now that you'll be back in school. ER + pathology + ACLS might be a bit much and you really do need good grades from now on.

Welcome home!

15. COMBAT MEDIC172

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would love to do that as well. I talk to one of the paramedics I work with that was in the Air Force. He did the pararescue and man does he have some unique stories. I will try to find some something that I enjoy and then volunteer. I not going to do something just to check the box. I see too many people trying to be president of this club and vice president in that club but what do they realy do for the clubs, and how much time do they realy put in.

16. emttim

emttim Addicted to SCUBA
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    If he ended up being an ACLS instructor though, that'd be great experience and I have a paramedic friend who does that and brings in like 30/hour for the class...great way to make some cash and have fun teaching medical stuff at the same time.

Long time no talk btw koko, how goes the app cycle? Send me a PM if you want...on my second quarter at UCD right now. :)

17. COMBAT MEDIC172

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah your right I have a wife and young son and I think she is starting to get fustrated with me not being around. I can see how pre meds become consumed with every thing they need to be competitive. The pathologist is at my hospital , I just spoke with him today he said he will call me with enough time in advance for me to show up and watch , or help. Im not exactly sure what he is going to let me do if any thing. I do think that it will be a nice experience however.

18. COMBAT MEDIC172

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ive been trying to get the ACLS course for some time now. 8 months ago some medics got to go to it, but now they are just sending the nurses. Ill get it if i keep bugging them.

19. COMBAT MEDIC172

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so would it be possible to get away with out doing any research?

20. emttim

emttim Addicted to SCUBA
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I would like to think so. I'm not going to do any research before I apply at all...no interest in it. I do patient care, not lab reports. :p

21. Superman78

2+ Year Member

Research is not required, and your service in the military is exceptional enough to stand on its own with no other volunteering really necessary, IMO. I didn't look at your profile but with a good GPA and decent MCAT you'll get in somewhere.