Awesome way to remember Sn2/Sn1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Intersting way of thinkin about the characteristics of each:

I like to call this approach, the "Party Strategy"

Sn1....it's a lot of fun..
Sn1 is someone who knows how to throw a party. It likes having a lot of people there (3? carbons) rather than having no one else around (methyl). Plus, it's all about having the right 'solvent' there. (alcohol and other polar protic solvents)

Sn2....yea, it's not for you
Sn2 is the uptight pre-med who really doesn't have a clue what's goin on in the social scheme of things. It would much rather surround itself with other boring things (hydrogens) rather than go out and mingle with other people (3? carbons). And you think it'd go anywhere near that alcohol? HA! what a crock. You'd most likely see this cat near all the acetone in lab on a saturday night. (prefers polar aprotic solvents).

I think this analogy is the strongest indicator i've received that the MCAT has officially driven me clinically insane. Hopefully after this bloody exam and a few years down the road, i'll be able to write myself a prescription for it. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.