Awful MCAT, great ECs and GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inlivingcolor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I attend the University of Virginia and have a 3.65 GPA. UVA is one of the top schools in the country so I guess you could say this actually "means" something, but when coupled with my 22R MCAT score I'm afraid I won't be given a chance anywhere.

I've pretty much already made up my mind about applying DO over MD (little to no chance with the latter), but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or thinks I should withdraw all applications to improve my MCAT score. I really have no desire to take time off or retake that god-awful test if it can be avoided or if anyone thinks I still have a shot.

I really appreciate any insight!!

Members don't see this ad.

what are your individual scores from the mcat?

Your MCAT is about 4 points lower than most DO schools. However, DO schools are less number-concerned than other schools so depending on your EC's, PS, letters and interview you could stand a decent chance at them. Remember to apply broadly and early...really focus on your PS and your EC descriptions as that will be the forte of your application.

Honestly though, if I were you I would just man-up and study my a** off for 3-4 months and retake but you could roll the dice this cycle if you are strongly against that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may consider waiting a cycle to apply. Your GPA is average and while having great ECs may help you get a DO acceptance it may be better to spend a year improving your application and intensely studying for the MCAT. If you can bring it up to the 28-30 range you will be a lock for DO schools and could even throw in some MD ones as well.

what are your individual scores from the mcat?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Here's the MCAT breakdown for the 22R
PS - 7
VR - 8
BS - 7

I should also add that I'm strictly interested in primary care, which may or may not give me an advantage.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Here's the MCAT breakdown for the 22R
PS - 7
VR - 8
BS - 7

I should also add that I'm strictly interested in primary care, which may or may not give me an advantage.

Being interested in only primary care will help you, but only if you're able to get past the primary "weeding out" of people through their numbers. I'm interested as to why your MCAT is so low. Did something happen on test day? Was something going on in your life that could have contributed? Or did the stress just get to you? Also, what were you scoring on your practice tests before you took the actual MCAT? I'm with the other poster in saying that you should study harder than you've ever studied for anything in your life and retake the MCAT. Good luck!

Hi,

No chance at MD. DO may be possible, cause your GPA is stellar. But the MCAT is very low and your chances will be tough. I suggest you apply very broadly to only DO schools, and you may have a chance. Just be sure to apply to places that will not screen you out cause of the 7s.

Being interested in only primary care will help you, but only if you're able to get past the primary "weeding out" of people through their numbers. I'm interested as to why your MCAT is so low. Did something happen on test day? Was something going on in your life that could have contributed? Or did the stress just get to you? Also, what were you scoring on your practice tests before you took the actual MCAT? I'm with the other poster in saying that you should study harder than you've ever studied for anything in your life and retake the MCAT. Good luck!

I honestly couldn't tell you why my score was so low. I was making 27 consistently on practice exams (I've never been a great standardized test taker) and figured I'd do better on the real thing since I'd take it more seriously. A lot of the exam questions were just out of left field and I let that stress me out, which obviously hurt my score.

As far as retaking, I'm sure I would improve, but IF I can get into DO schools, preferably VCOM, then I'd be more than happy with going there and forgetting about the MCAT altogether.

Thanks for the feedback!

Why don't you retake it? I am asking a question, not giving advice.

Why don't you retake it? I am asking a question, not giving advice.

Well, it was enough of an ordeal the first time around. Plus, I feel like I'd have to start back at square one almost with the studying since I've been away from the material for over a month now.

Like I said, IF I can get in somewhere with the low score I'd rather just do that. I'm more concerned with getting the degree than where I go to get it so ranking isn't a huge deal to me.

What other schools are you applying to? Are you applying to a bunch of schools? Also, you say you have great ECs, what does that mean, what are your EC's?