Awful Md or Good DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lm1120

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interviews at Tuoro Ny and Neoucom. I know Touro NY isnt well established since its still new but neoucom isnt really a good school and its had its time to prove itself. If i get into both school Im going to have to make a really hard decision:

Touro NY
Pros: Its in new york, it has new facilities, in a culturally diverse area
Cons: its new so not well known, cost of living is expensive

Neoucom
Pros: Its an MD school giving me better chance at residency
Cons: Its in hicktown, ohio, the mere though of living there for four years gives me stomach pains. Its rep is not that good.

So Im wondering what you guys think, do I go to neoucom if accepted and suck it up for 4 years for the sake of becoming an MD or do I go to Touro ny? Is being an MD worth the sacrifices that I would be making? I'd appreciate your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

2335178061_4d6b5dc594.jpg

LOL I wouldn't call Touro NY a good DO school...the known solid DO schools are PCOM, NYCOM, LECOM, and a couple others that I don't know of the top of my head, UNECOM maybe? Either way you're foolish to think that touro COM would give you some sort of advantage. You do bring up some good points about being happy where you are, and this IS very important. So if you can't see yourself being happy in "hick town" Ohio, then by all means don't even go to the interview. If it's something you're considering then I think the answer is clear where you should go.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were PCOM or NSU there could be some discussion. This is a complete and utter obvious choice.

hahaha this thread? or my decision?

This thread. It will erupt into a firey abortion. It looks like you're going to be a doctor no matter your decision, so I think you'll be aiiight.

Run, do not walk, away from anything with the name "Touro" attached to it.

From what I read, I thought it was a good school.
I didnt know so many people had negative feelings towards touro.
Why is that? Is it cuz its new or is something wrong with the the education?

Turn down both and keep reapplying every cycle in the hopes that Harvard will accept you.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I read, I thought it was a good school.
I didnt know so many people had negative feelings towards touro.
Why is that? Is it cuz its new or is something wrong with the the education?

This did it for me.

Ny also has nice perks like required attendance and a dress code for lecture... Fun stuff.

OP, I don't know where all you applied, but I'd say at this point in the cycle try to not worry about it. Right now just worry about getting accepted, and once you see where all you get in, then decide where to go. Who knows, maybe you'll even get another interview (or interviews) and you'll end up getting accepted there. Good luck!

Everyone's right... Touro does not have a very good reputation... Their pass rate for boards isn't all that high either

I thought it was clever...along with your username. The two go hand-in-hand.

This is the best thing I've seen all week.

:D thanks peeps.

that whole squatting thing is this huge tl;dr rant but you should at least go down and find the part where the person believes she cured herself of cervical cancer by ****ting over a hole. priceless.

Everyone's right... Touro does not have a very good reputation... Their pass rate for boards isn't all that high either

Not that this has a HUGE bearing on medical school, but Touro's PA and law programs also have bad reps. Touro really gives off the impression that they're in it for the money, like a Caribbean school that somehow snuck into the ranks of the accredited.

>implying that there are any good DO
33ncjsy.jpg

Touro NY is now an MD school in Valhalla, isn't it?
Touro bought NYMC but it isn't yet officially part of the Touro university system. Either way it was the first school I withdrew from once I got my first acceptance.
Run, do not walk, away from anything with the name "Touro" attached to it.
Agreed. Touro is just a really bad university. They just seem to be interested in having every kind of professional degree school, without any regard as to the quality of those schools.

Also see further:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19797601
I don't know how pervasive this problem is throughout the school, but still it's pretty ridiculous that the school had no controls in place to prevent that from happening.

:D thanks peeps.

that whole squatting thing is this huge tl;dr rant but you should at least go down and find the part where the person believes she cured herself of cervical cancer by ****ting over a hole. priceless.

Haha that is so hilarious. The only benefit I've heard is that it lowers the risk of hemmroids.

Yeah, and it's not the only thread like that. I don't even pay attention to the DO forums and I've seen at least 5 threads on what a train wreck the Touros' clerkships are.
+1. schools like touro & rvu contribute, imo, to the general anti-do sentiment

Touro NY is now an MD school in Valhalla, isn't it?

Touro NY is the DO school in harlem. NYMC is the MD school in Valhalla, and while Touro has purchased NYMC from the archdiocese of Westchester, they are still in the process of working out the deal so it is not set in stone yet. When the deal is 100% set in stone, NYMC will still be NYMC, it will however also be part of the Touro system. Administration, faculty, quality of education etc will not change, so while it isn't great to have Touro attached to your name (especially to an already reputable institution), nothing about the school will change, except maybe improvements to facilities, additional dual degree programs and additional clinical sites with the infusion of cash (30 million+)

This did it for me.

wow, that was some rant!

Well, your problem is crystal clear. Like most osteopathic students, you actually expected to be human while in medical school and have some life not shattered by fat, overpaid, underworked, over-complimented faculty that raise your tuition 5% annually who fail to understand what education is or how to provide it to people that are overpaying for it. I mean, common, getting married, what were you thinking?

You know, I have a REAL problem with people who blame themselves for what is not their fault. I also have a problem with one-legged hookers, but that is a different story.

IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO PROVIDE YOU WITH GREAT ROTATIONS AND EDUCATION. THAT IS THE JOB OF THE FU**EN SCHOOL THAT YOU BORROW A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS TO PAY. PERIOD.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE FU**ED UP SCHOOLS SUCKING THE LIFE OUT OF PEOPLE TO STAY IN BUSINESS AND PROFIT, INSTEAD OF INVESTING YOUR HARD BORROWED MONEY THAT YOU HAVE TO AT LEAST DOUBLE TO RETURN INTO THEIR MOST VALUABLE ASSETS, THEIR STUDENTS.

I WILL TELL YOU, I HAVE BEEN AROUND THE COUNTRY AND HAVE DONE SUB-Is AT HOPKINS, MAYO, TEMPLE, UNIV. PITT AND WHAT I HAVE FOUND IS NOT A SUPERIOR QUALITY IN THEIR STUDENTS, BUT A SUPERIOR INVESTMENT IN THEM.

ITS SAD, BUT REALITY IS THAT OUR STUDENTS HAVE TO WASTE TREMENDOUS TIME, GO THROUGH TREMENDOUS STRESS, TRAVEL TREMENDOUS MILAGE AWAY FROM THEIR HOMES AND SPEND A SHI*LOAD OUT OF THEIR POCKETS IN ADDITION TO WHAT THEY BORROW TO PAY THEIR FU**ED UP SCHOOLS JUST SO THEY CAN GET A GOOD EDUCATION. I CAN'T EVEN CALCULATE HOW MUCH I HAD TO BORROW AND SPEND OUTSIDE OF MY TUITION, JUST TO TRAVEL AND DO ROTATIONS OUTSIDE MY SCHOOLS "LOTTO SYSTEM" SO I WOULD NOT BE FU**ED FOR LIFE.

TELL ME, WOULD YOU BET YOUR EDUCATION ON THE "LOTTO" COMPRISED OF HALF-ASSED PRECEPTOR ROTATIONS IN WANKER-VILLE OR PODUNK?

I MEAN WHEN I THINK ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT WERE IN CHARGE OF MY CLINICAL EDUCATION AND COMPARE THEM TO PEOPLE THAT I WORK WITH NOW, THEY SIMPLY SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ALLOWED NEAR MEDICAL SUTDENTS. THEY DID NOT EVEN CARE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STUDENT. JUST WANTED TO GIVE YOU A ROTATION AND GET YOU ON YOUR WAY. ONE OF THEM WAS ACTUALLY FIRED BY THE INSURANCE COMPANY HE WORKED FOR AND SOMEHOW GOT A HOOKUP INTO FACULTY AT THE SCHOOL.

Anyways, this is probably the longest post of my SDN career. But there are real problems in the osteopathic education model that have to be repaired in order to better the lives and careers of our students. It simply unethical to double the class size every 2 years, open a new osteopathic school every weekend, charge a ridiculous and continuously rising tuition annually, when the basic education structure (Hospital based rotations, residencies, fellowships) is not even there to support all these increases. Instead, people are forced into desparate crap like going away from their home for a year just to complete maybe fair 3rd and 4th year rotations.

To the OP, don't give up. Search and find yourself an awesome residency program DO or MD to get into, where they will train you to be an awesome physician.

I will tell you about the one-legged hooker another time.

Does Touro = NYMC?

No. Different schools, NYMC is an MD school, Touro a DO. Touro apparently purchased NYMC, but like the person above stated, it means very little to NYMC or Touro students as far as the degree, administration and faculty is concerned. NYMC is a very good school. But I have friends who ended up at Touro NY, and not one had anything positive to say about it...they all say to avoid it like the plague and go to ANY other DO school.

No. Different schools, NYMC is an MD school, Touro a DO. Touro apparently purchased NYMC, but like the person above stated, it means very little to NYMC or Touro students as far as the degree, administration and faculty is concerned. NYMC is a very good school. But I have friends who ended up at Touro NY, and not one had anything positive to say about it...they all say to avoid it like the plague and go to ANY other DO school.

Well, the fact that people are saying avoid it like the plague AND that Touro bought NYMC makes me think to "avoid NYMC like the plague"...

Hasty conclusion?

It only makes sense that if the leadership from Touro takes over NYMC that whatever makes Touro so bad would be transferring to NYMC. maybe not, I don't know.

Well, the fact that people are saying avoid it like the plague AND that Touro bought NYMC makes me think to "avoid NYMC like the plague"...

Hasty conclusion?

It only makes sense that if the leadership from Touro takes over NYMC that whatever makes Touro so bad would be transferring to NYMC. maybe not, I don't know.
When I interviewed at NYMC I asked my interviewer what he thought about the Touro thing and his impression was that nothing would change about the level of education the students would receive and that NYMC would only benefit through better funding. So :shrug:

When I interviewed at NYMC I asked my interviewer what he thought about the Touro thing and his impression was that nothing would change about the level of education the students would receive and that NYMC would only benefit through better funding. So :shrug:

:shrug: + $200k + medical education = :lame:

Hasty conclusion?

Absolutely, because there is no plan whatsoever to change the faculty or administration. A school with 160 yr history in the NYC area all of the sudden takes on the reputation of a university system that purchases it? I think not...

That thread about DO 3rd and 4th year experiences is ridiculous. Wow. How can the AOA approve new schools and allow class size expansion without fixing those issues?

Absolutely, because there is no plan whatsoever to change the faculty or administration. A school with 160 yr history in the NYC area all of the sudden takes on the reputation of a university system that purchases it? I think not...

This makes sense... but I still raise an eyebrow because of what Touro has done.

It seems like they just screwed over students for money in the past.

it definitely takes a hit imo..

That thread about DO 3rd and 4th year experiences is ridiculous. Wow. How can the AOA approve new schools and allow class size expansion without fixing those issues?

They really do need to govern that stuff better. There are some excellent DO schools but then there is Touro.

The stories about their 3rd/4th year are absolutely unacceptable.