Awful semester due to unfortunate circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ukrainian

c-c-c-combo breaker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I started my first term of university in January 2010. There was a mixup with my transcript which made it unable for me to register until then. Spent the whole semester I had off doing... essentially nothing.

Anyways, a month after starting university, my grandma was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer. I took it REALLY hard. I spent 99% of my evenings at the hospital with her while homework and concentration fell by the wayside. Final grades were a D in bio, two C's and a C+ (bio was the only prerequisite). My GPA from that term was 1.8. Should I retake the bio, or would the adcoms give me a chance to explain this?

Fortunately it was only one bad semester and I'm doing moderately better this time around, but will this completely ruin my application, or will a noticeable improvement in grades over the next few years be enough to help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you'll have to retake bio. Pre-requisites need to be C's or higher to count in the eyes of medical schools. Also yes you'll be able to explain yourself during the interview. Also know that 1 bad semester isn't going to kill your chances.