ukrainian

c-c-c-combo breaker
Sep 17, 2010
Canada
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all

I started my first term of university in January 2010. There was a mixup with my transcript which made it unable for me to register until then. Spent the whole semester I had off doing... essentially nothing.

Anyways, a month after starting university, my grandma was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer. I took it REALLY hard. I spent 99% of my evenings at the hospital with her while homework and concentration fell by the wayside. Final grades were a D in bio, two C's and a C+ (bio was the only prerequisite). My GPA from that term was 1.8. Should I retake the bio, or would the adcoms give me a chance to explain this?

Fortunately it was only one bad semester and I'm doing moderately better this time around, but will this completely ruin my application, or will a noticeable improvement in grades over the next few years be enough to help me out?

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Yes, you'll have to retake bio. Pre-requisites need to be C's or higher to count in the eyes of medical schools. Also yes you'll be able to explain yourself during the interview. Also know that 1 bad semester isn't going to kill your chances.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
Retake the BIO. You need to do substantially better to dig your GPA out of the hole it's in, like near straight As. But if you had to mess up a semester, it's far better for it to be early in the college years, though.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.