Awkward interview moment...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karine04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
....alright, thanks for the advice. yes, I went back and deleted the contents of the post because I got nervous that it wasn't anonymous!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was on an interview recently and the PD asked me if I'd read my LORs. I said no, since I waived my right. She then said, "Well, program X (a place I rotated and liked very much) wants you back," and proceeded to read a couple of sentences from my LOR from a faculty member at said institution. Now, granted, I am quite interested in program X, but I recognize that it would be silly to put all my eggs in one basket (especially with the increasingly competitive nature of the match), so of course, I'm interviewing widely, within reason. I just wasn't sure what to say. Anyone ever have something like this occur?

I would have just said that I worked hard and did the best job that I could while I was doing my away, and that I am flattered that they thought so highly of me, but <insert why you want to go to their program/why you are a great fit for their program>.

Boy would I love to read some awkward interview moments. Anyone mistake the PD's wife for his mother in a picture? Slip on a banana peel? Forget to button your pants and have them fall down hilariously around your ankles as you stand to shake hands at the end of the interview?

Boy would I love to read some awkward interview moments. Anyone mistake the PD's wife for his mother in a picture? Slip on a banana peel? Forget to button your pants and have them fall down hilariously around your ankles as you stand to shake hands at the end of the interview?

I did have an interview that was a job not residency where I left my fly unzipped. I noticed about halfway through the interview, but what was I going to do pause to zip. Yea, so I just went on with a breeze. I am pretty sure the interviewer noticed and I didn't get an offer from there. I guess he must have not been interested in my qualifications.

dude the same thing happened to me!! he said, i read your letter, and it seems this person really wants you to stay at program X. I wonder whether its true or its one of those interviewing techniques, to judge your response......hmmmm. (of note, this same interviewer did ask a lot of those silly questions, like name a time you made a mistake and learned for it, etc).

ranmyaku's response is spot on.
Part of interviewing is learning to manipulate/redirect the conversation as needed!

Had a bloody nose during an interview this past week.

Too much digital exploration, I guess :eek:

Nothing says you have a real interest in a program like using the wrong program acronym for most of your interviews that day. I'm guessing they picked up on my lack of interest. (I suppose I should have had that extra cup of coffee.)