1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

AZCOM 2007 Acceptees...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by fozzy40, Oct 27, 2002.

1. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How are you guys doing? First of all, I would like to congratulate all of you on your acceptances! Basically, I wanted to know if you could share your stats.

I interviewed on 10/18 and I felt I interviewed very well. The interviewers seemed pretty receptive to me and I walked out of the interview feeling good. I have good ECs and good LORs but my MCAT isn't the greatest (23). I have a cumulative GPA of 3.341, which I feel is okay considering their cut off is a 2.75.

I was pretty excited to get an interview here, especially since I applied there last year and didn't even get an interview. I was very impressed with the school in all aspects and I REALLY want to go to this school. So if you could, please share any insight. Thanks again guys!

Fred

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

Hello!
    Hey, congrats on having a good interview experience. Historically, these posts don't get good responses, and I can see why. However, I also know very much how important these issues are to some people. Yes, there ARE several factors that weigh into an ADCOM's choice, but it just feels good to know where you stand "by the numbers."

That being said, do you have some credible experience in medicine, and more importantly, with osteopathy? I think that this is SO important. Schools want to know that you know what medicine is about. D.O. schools want that, PLUS some evidence that you know about and believe in osteopathy. I think that it is really important to not only use the D.O. letter of rec, but to elegantly state your zeal for osteopathy in you statement/secondary essays to accomplish this. In my interview, I wasn?t being asked anything referring to osteopathy, so I incorporated it into my responses.

As for my application vitals: My GPA (sci/cum) was just below the average for matriculated students to AZCOM, but my MCAT was pretty good (well above AZCOM?s stated average). That probably helped out a lot for me, since my early college career is littered with Fs. I didn?t have a lot of ?actual experience with osteopathy,? but I believe in it and I made sure they knew it.

I swear, sometimes I feel the app. process is random as hell. I buddy of mine got really into osteopathy in the last year (hung out with me too much) and has better ?stats (#s)? than I do. He has been waitlisted at AZCOM and accepted to TUCOM?so great numbers definitely do not always get you in.

I know that I didn't state any "#s" but I really feel uncomfortable doing that.

Best of Luck!

4. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I interviewed in Sept., and the range of MCATs was pretty big in my interview group. Some less than 20 (awaiting August results), some 30+, and a bunch in between.

If you felt the interview went well you are hopefully in pretty good shape. Most people felt pretty good, but a few were pretty upset. (Dang, I use the word "pretty" a lot.) Of course, I don't know which of those got in and which didn't, but eveyone that has gotten in seems to have had a good interview experience. Best of luck.

5. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do have credible work experience in the health care field. Alot of the questions I was asked during my inteview were not questions that I could directly relate to osteopathy. I tried my best to incorporate osteopathy into my answers though. However, I did mention that I have studied the philosophy, shadowed D.Os, and also have a cousin, a DO, who has given me a lot of insight. If anything, I showed that I truly am passionate about the things I believe in. Well, I guess we'll see in a week or so

Fred:(

6. San_Juan_Sun

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In reference to osteopathy, all I'd done was shadow DOs and study a little bit. I was asked what appealed to me about osteopathy. I had figured that was coming. I figured that many people say something like "I like the holistic philosophy of treating the entire person". That is well and good, but i wanted to focus more on nervous-muscular-skeletal relationships, and how osteopathy really focues there using OMM.

I thought, and still think, that learning about osteopathy as a philosophy is important, but I think it's equally important to identify and express what exactly appeals to a person. For whoever might interview in the future, just be aware that interviewers probably hear the party line about osteopathy every day. Make sure you can express your thoughts on the profession with your own voice. Best of luck to you all.

7. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know I definitely did that. I simply stated that I have studied the principles and left it at that because I didn't want to give a generic answer. I went on to state what exactly attracts me to this field. Hopefully, this all goes in my favor...I am more concerned about my numbers than my interview...cross your fingers for me!

Fred

8. San_Juan_Sun

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm sure you did fine. Best of luck to you.

The whole generic answers thing wasn't directed to you. It's more for those who'll be interviewing later on, maybe even next year. On a side note, at my interview there were like like 5 people who were wearing blue shirts with dark suits and shiny blue ties. It looked like a Regis Philbin look-alike convention. So much for tying to look different. :)

9. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh, I know. I'm just agreeing with you. Thanks for your support man.

Fred

10. bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

It sounds like you have a lot going for you this time around. I wasn't there, but what you are saying sounds good!

San Juan has a great ponit. The adcoms likely hear something to the tune of "I love the holistic approach to medicine" multiple times/day. And it is cool to have that be your driving force, but do show that you can express a common thought with your own voice and style.

That you mentioned what particularly attracts you to the field is great, I think. Could you get any kind of read from you interviewers? Did they resond in any visible manor to any of you responses?
    By the way, who were your interviewers???

11. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The people who interviewed me were:

Craig Hoffbauer, D.O.
    Michael Quinlan, Ph.D.
    Jon Susa, MSIII

As for the tone of the interview, it was pretty light hearted. I actually got them to laugh a little, which made me feel like the interview was going okay. I got a lot of head nodding to my responses, which I think is good.

I really feel I did well on the interview. I do realize that the interview feedback is only half of what the adcoms are going to look at. If my interviewers were the admissions committee I think I am good shape. I know that this is not the case and I am worried on how the adcoms are going to look at me as a whole when they take my stats into account, specifically my MCAT. This is my second time applying to AZCOM and I really hope I get in.

Thanks again guys for caring!

Fred

12. San_Juan_Sun

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had Dr. Quinlan as well. He was really nice and made me feel at ease. So did my other interviewers.

In reference to med schools in general: When you spoke about interview feedback, it made me remember something. Adcoms, or admissions staff at least, read these message boards and the interview feedback stuff. I've heard this from at least two schools. I doubt that anything someone posted would alter their chances at getting in, but is a fact nevertheless that adcoms are watching what we say.