AZCOM 3rd year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgbb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into AZCOM's 2014 class. Seeing as we choose our 3rd year rotations before school starts, I was wondering if any AZCOM students (current, or former) could shed some light on the different rotation sites available and which ones are typically more desirable. Any input would help out a lot. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's less confusing if you use the right class name. You've been accepted into AZCOM 2018 I'm guessing.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're AZCOM class of 2018. Are you interested in any particular location?

Anyone know which locations have the most numerous H-1B VISA offerings?

I'm not too familiar with AZ so it's hard to have a preference, but I would be really interested in any rotations in Northern CA.

I don't think they have any Northern CA rotation sites. Closest would be Modesto, but the other CA sites as of last year were LA and San Diego. Still haven't heard a finalized list for this year tho.

Edit to add: Since we're on the topic, I'd be interested in hearing how much traveling can be expected if you pick the Eastern/Western AZ sites. I'm leaning towards Modesto but I know my GF would like me to stay around for third year if she gets a job in Phoenix.

Anyone know which locations have the most numerous H-1B VISA offerings?
They require an H1-B visa now to do rotations? News to me.

I don't think they have any Northern CA rotation sites. Closest would be Modesto, but the other CA sites as of last year were LA and San Diego. Still haven't heard a finalized list for this year tho.

Edit to add: Since we're on the topic, I'd be interested in hearing how much traveling can be expected if you pick the Eastern/Western AZ sites. I'm leaning towards Modesto but I know my GF would like me to stay around for third year if she gets a job in Phoenix.
Norcal was taken off the list when I started, but it sounds like they're bringing it back? Can't help you with that since it's so new. As for Socal, I have a friend in LA for his rotations and he's liking it so far, except for the lack of OR time during the surgery rotation.

AZ sites? It depends. I'm technically West Valley and most of my sites are in the West Valley, but I do have a few East Valley and Tucson sites. They do try and respect your wishes and keep you in the region you request, but that doesn't mean you'll have everything in your particular region. My drive times have been anywhere from 5 to 60 minutes depending on location and traffic at the time of my commute. Also, keep in mind you will have to be one month of rural rotations.

They require an H1-B visa now to do rotations? News to me.

Norcal was taken off the list when I started, but it sounds like they're bringing it back? Can't help you with that since it's so new. As for Socal, I have a friend in LA for his rotations and he's liking it so far, except for the lack of OR time during the surgery rotation.

AZ sites? It depends. I'm technically West Valley and most of my sites are in the West Valley, but I do have a few East Valley and Tucson sites. They do try and respect your wishes and keep you in the region you request, but that doesn't mean you'll have everything in your particular region. My drive times have been anywhere from 5 to 60 minutes depending on location and traffic at the time of my commute. Also, keep in mind you will have to be one month of rural rotations.
Nah
It's just that I like to rotate in areas where I see myself doing residencies at if possible.
Even if not, think it's a important factor to consider. No harm considering it early!
CK

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

I have no idea how I'm going to choose a rotation site. I mean I've been to Phoenix a total of once, for 2 days, when I was interviewing. I've never been to northern/southern California, Chicago, Tucson, etc.

At first we (my wife and I) were excited AZCOM let us choose from such a wide range of locations across the country. We just assumed we'd do rotations in AZ. So when asked to rank our location preferences, my wife got excited at the prospect of moving back to the Midwest area to be near family, and I've heard positive things about where we ended up being assigned (Kankakee, IL). However, that was before we fell in love with the life we started here. Now, a few people have approached me to trade assignments with them (they were assigned AZ). We're at a loss for what to do... All that I've heard is to choose your rotation based on where you want to live, not based on one being "better" or "worse", since each site has it's own ups and downs, and even those seem to change from year to year. Ugh, I guess I'll make a pros/cons list...

All that I've heard is to choose your rotation based on where you want to live, not based on one being "better" or "worse"

Who the hell told you this?

Reactions: 1 user
If you have an opportunity to be at a big teaching hospital, pick that. If they are all community hospitals just pick based on location. You can be fine at most rotation sites but some you will have to work a little harder to get more out of it.

Reactions: 1 user