AZCOM, CCOM, or TUCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s2o0o

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so here's the deal. i have been accepted to both AZCOM and CCOM while being placed on the high alternate list for TUCOM. it seems that AZCOM and CCOM both have excellent reputations, however, the info on TUCOM has been kinda sketchy. i have found that it is hard to really even find much info on the TUCOM program. i initially got the impression that it was not a very good program before visiting the school but i was very surprised to hear several of my fellow DO applicants rave about it (these are people i met while on my interviews at AZCOM and CCOM). upon visiting TUCOM, i was impressed with their anatomy lab which had absolutely NO SMELL! but was most definetely not impressed by the rest of the campus and the dreariness of the surrounding island. of course, TUCOM does have the great advantage of being close to the SF bay area and i would be able to stay in and enjoy this perfect CA weather (since i am originally from here). my boyfriend would also be able to keep his fantastic job in silicon valley were i to go to TUCOM...soooo, if anyone has any opinions as to the reputation of TUCOM or any suggestions for me, i would greatly appreciate it! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you plan to go into? Are you going to specialize? This is a major factor as it seems AZCOM and CCOM have had very good matches in recent years. Although I'm sure TUCOM is very good as well. Since AZCOM and CCOM are both a part of Midwestern University which has been aroung 100+ years, you might be better off taking this route. I did and I love AZCOM. Another plus is we are getting a new Anatomy lab (very nice). Just be glad you have the opportunity to choose!

Later :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hi There!
I would suggest going to CCOM! That is where I would go give your choices. It is the oldest, most established school of the three and is probably nicest in location (i.e. the campus is really nice AND it is near a large city). AZCOM has a nice campus is really growing in connections, etc, but is still a young school struggling in some areas (i.e. helping students get out of state rotations, competition with Univ of AZ med students for the big local hospitals for rotations and residencies). I'm not as familiar with TUCOM, but it does sound like a dreary place, plus it is even less established than AZCOM. Good luck picking your school and congratulations on getting into so many of them!

Members don't see this ad :)
IdahoDO: as of right now, i think i would like to go into OB/GYN. i would also like to eventually get my residency back in CA since my family is here which is really the only reason that i am considering TUCOM. As of right now, I am debating between CCOM and TUCOM (but i am still on the waitlist here). were it not for my boyrfriend, i would definetely go to CCOM but we've been together for over 6 years and i'm not willing to give him up just for medical school...

Hands down.........AZCOM!

i never saw ccom so i can't really say too much regarding the school but between azcom and tucom-- i'd say azcom with out a fleeting second thought. The school is incredible! Student oriented and very well prepared to train you in the most effective way possible. What many forget is that azcom is a sister school to ccom, so as for established and experienced, they have taken all that worked at ccom and expanded on it!! I have worked with some faculty from uofa and they all compliment azcom students, some azcomer's are even over uofa residencies!! imho, tucom has potential, just not yet-- it is a good school, with good students, but is still lacking--i wouldn't go there yet. Maybe in a few years when they really have the school running like a well-oiled machine. Just think, pheonix is a $33 one-way flight on southwest back to the bay area!! Good luck to you!!