AZCOM Class of 2005?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
swdave-- congrats for at least making it to the alternate list! I know how you feel because I'm on the list at another school, and can sympathize. When and how were you able to get them to tell you over the phone about the results? I may try and get the word Monday if the Dean is in. Did you find out if AZCOM has a ranked wait list and when they will give you the ranking? Hang in there!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Muonwhiz,

I asked for the admissions director when I called and I wrangled it out of him.

The Alt. list is ranked in June! So the wait is 2 months until I find that out.

Maybe I'll slip into a coma until I hear something definite! It'll be painless that way.

Attempting to be patient,

Dave

I spoke to the admissions director at AZCOM today, and he told me that I had been accepted! Hang in there, swdave- I have confidence that you will also get in there. He told me that letters were going out and that I should receive written confirmation by the end of this week or the first of next week, so probably everyone's letters are in the mail. Guess I'll have to break down and fill out all of those financial aid forms.

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATULATIONS Muonwhiz!! If you don't mind me asking, how are you going to go about paying for college/living expenses? I too believe that SWDAVE will make it also. I know that our confidence doesn't help the anxiety of being on the waiting list so hang in there the best you can SWDAVE. When are you moving down to Arizona muon? By the way, what is your undergrad major? talk to you soon, Shane

Thanks for the encouragement you two.

I spoke with the admissions director today and he said that last year they actually went very deep into their alternate list.

I am checking into one thing. The science GPA he quoted me sounded a bit low, maybe even 3 or 4 tenths off of what I remember it being in my AACOMAS application.

Anyway, I'm going to write a letter to the committee tomorrow probably and wait for them to vote on the alternate list come late May. I'm going to continue working on them and MSUCOM where I'm also on the waiting list.

I still have the DMU interview next week. I wish this was more straight forward. I tend to invest myself personally at each school I interview at and I'm finding it hard to be so divided since I don't have a firm answer anywhere yet.

Dave

swdave, I know how you feel because I'm on a wait list at DMU. They will rank the list in June, and I found out that there is a note in my file stating that I will be placed high on the list. Last year they went down to #25 on the list and 18 of the wait list students accepted. I thought that I had a much better interview at DMU than AZCOM, so go figure!
Shane, I will probably go through the financial aid deal for the first year. I have money in investments and want to see what the earnings vs. finance charges will be. If it makes good sense, I'll pay for it myself but if not I'll use someone else's money and let mine earn for me. I will have to go to look for housing, and I have 2 dogs to factor in! I figure that I'll make a trip out there in May or June, after I have figured out the finances and completed what I need to do there. Let me know when you are going out there! Be on the lookout for the official letters. Have you received your yet?

Muon, I am looking online for apartments and comparing them to the student housing. The student housing might be the way my family and I start this endevour. I will probably make another 'scouting' trip in May or June and plan on moving in late July or early August. By the way are you considering any other schools? I have not recieved my confirmation letter yet and when I do - I'm gonna frame it!!
smile.gif
By the way, doesn't any other AZCOM first years use this site?? talk to you later, shane

Congrats out to the two of you. I am also starting at AZCOM this fall. As for me, it is all loans baby, pretty scary when you consider what I already owe. My fiance has an interview set up at a Biotech company in Tempe, so she will be set hopefully, the extra funds will be nice. I think we are going to buy a house. You can buy a new (1-4 years old) house in Glendale for ~100,000 and that is with 3/2 and a nice fenced back yard (great for those with kids). Check Realtor.com. With interest rates low and our time there being at least 4 years, it makes sense, especially when you consider you will be spending 20-40 thousand in rent over the next 4 years. That money could be equity. If anyone wants to chat, email me...Dave

Shane, I'm on the DMU wait list and still have not heard anything from Nova and KCOM. I don't now if that is good or bad. I have checked with the admissions offices at those schools this week and both said that my app was still under consideration, the classes had not been filled and to be patient. So I will have to wait and see whether or not I will have other choices. I like AZCOM and think it would be a great school, but feel that I should wait and see what happens first. I may also look into the real estate situation, and wonder if any future classmates out there might be interested in going in to purchase a duplex. We should get the official letters by the end of this week or the first part of next week, depending on location. I was told that they would be put out yesterday or today. Let me know when you get yours. I'm not going to feel completely safe until I have it in my grubby little hands!

Hi all,

Congrats to all new acceptees!!!!!!

It's interesting that we'll have so many Dave's in the class this year......
smile.gif

I, like many others as well, would have to go with lovely Sallie Mae and Stafford loans and even maybe some private loans too......even the thought of how much in debt I will be upon graduation gives me the creeps, but you gotta do what you gotta do....
wink.gif
See you all in August. Oh and in terms of housing, I first thought of buying, but later I changed my mind; now, I am going with off campus housing....there are tons of options for rentals off campus.

Dave

Whoops, I guess she posted that message elsewhere!

Hey Tiffany,

Congrats, here I am stressing on being an alternate at 2 schools with still one interview to go!

I wish I could offer you some better advice between UHS and AZCOM. Both cities have a lot to offer. KC is cheaper and safer and Phx is always sunny. I grew up in Phx and almost took a job in KC at one point and had researched it quite a bit.

Hmm, smaller classes in Az but less facilities, more established program at UHS.

I don't think I'm helping, you'll just need to find out what's important to you personally and make your list if you haven't already.

Good Luck,

Dave

[This message has been edited by swdave (edited April 05, 2001).]

Hi everyone! I just received my acceptance letter!!! I will see all of you in August!

How is everyone planning on moving down? Since I am moving from Chicago I am thinking of selling everything and starting over when I get there. Moving seems to be a little expensive.

Also, i am female and looking for a roommate if anyone is interested.

Well, I will see you all very soon!

Kelly

WOO-HOO! I'm in to AZCOM! I've been looking forward to doing this post for a long time!

Congrats to everyone else who received the BIG envelope this time around, and good luck to the alternates!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, got my letter yesterday that said I was in!! I'm really excited but I have also been accepted to Nova and TUCOM. I don't know what to do. So, any advice you guys can share would be a huge help. Thanks and best of luck to all of you future doctors!!!

zach

Got in yesterday, too. I got a call at work, something about a fat envelope, nice. I'm in the same delightful dilemma...options. However, I have been losing sleep over this. Got into TUCOM, DMU-COM and now AZCOM. I'd love to hear the advice you give Steve2000.

Dieselkid,
I have no idea and have also been losing sleep. What a great problem to have though! But, at the same time I am tired of constantly thinking about it and wish I knew what to do. I almost feel like I can't really go wrong with any of them but I want to be sure and make the right decision. I keep telling myself that it will all play out eventually, but it sure is nerve-wracking! Good luck with your decision and maybe I will see you soon!
If you want, you can e-mail me at [email protected] if you have question or want to talk about the schools.

zach

I got the fat envelope yesterday, now I can breathe a little easier since it is real. I'm on the wait list at DMU, but found out that I have a good chance of being placed high on it. The tuition is a bit less there than AZCOM, but the class is larger. I'm also worried about the posts that I've seen elsewhere about DMU. It appears that many first and second years have positive statements, but that those farhter advanced say that people are completely on their own as far as finding rotations, etc.

Kelly,

you wrote:
"How is everyone planning on moving down? Since I am moving from Chicago I am thinking of selling everything and starting over when I get there. Moving seems to be a little expensive.

Also, i am female and looking for a roommate if anyone is interested."

I am moving from Chicago as well. It is a long hall. My wife and I took 3 days in a Uhall 5 years ago from Flagstaff to here. What memories! We even stayed one night at the largest truck stop in North America (Iowa border) sleeping on top of the Uhall. Best of luck in your adventure out west. Our trip will be a little different this time around...kid in tow!

I doubt you will find me of great help on the roommate situation. However, we may be able to work something out on the move.

Send me an email if you are interested (I think it is posted in my profile).

samuel

[This message has been edited by slaminsam (edited April 10, 2001).]

congrats to everyone who has been accepted to azcom! i just learned about this website today and i am so excited i can talk to some of you guys. i was accepted in november and i have been stressing about finding a place to live. i live in tempe right now but i am looking for a place next to the school. last week and went to the school and looked at some apartments around campus. the brand new apartments across the street are absolutely amazing! they are not that expensive if you can find some roommates. they have 2 and 3 bedroom apartments and they are HUGE. so if some of you are looking for roommates e-mail me and maybe we can talk about it. i am a male and 23 years old, but one of my current roommates is a female so i don't mind living with girls. good luck to all of you and can't wait to meet you all. take care

berkeley

[This message has been edited by Berkeley (edited April 10, 2001).]

Hey guys,

Congrats to you all. Swdave, thanks for trying to help with my decision. I have been contemplating between both schools since I interviewed (wishful thinking I guess!) The final decision....drumroll please...AZCOM!!!! I am releasing my seat at UHS and DMU for those of you wait-listed, maybe you can have mine!

MONEY...well, I am definitely leaning towards loans, loans, and maybe some more loans.

Kelly and Berkeley,

I am also looking for roomates and had no idea how to go about doing it! I was talking to a guy from CA who is going to AZCOM next year also and he checked out the apartments across the street from campus for me. He was looking at singles, but he checked out 2 bedrooms for me...no idea what the cost of 3 bedrooms are. I can't remember the prices off the top of my head, but email me and I'll pull them up. I am from Detroit, so I also have a long drive ahead of me and am very nervous. Don't want to live by myself either!

Although I'm female (did the name give it away!) I don't have any qualms about living with guys either Berkeley.

Anyone else looking for roomates? Maybe we should start a separate post? Good Luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Tiff
[email protected]

Tiffany,

Congrats!

Man making that final call really will simplify life eh?

I know if I get in I'll be hosting a BBQ for everyone. My parents have an acre so we could fit the whole stinkin' class in the backyard!

Heck, I'll throw a party wherever I get it just to celebrate the moment!

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on my status as it changes.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

No matter what, don't get discouraged! About half way through this whole process I thought about giving up. It was so frustrating, I felt like all I was doing was writing checks to people! Good Luck to you and I am sure you will get in! Thanks for the congrats.

tj

To all AZCOMers,

Here is something to perhaps make you feel better about the decision you made and your choice of AZCOM over the rest; or something to show off to your friends about the school you're going to attend:

http://roughgod.homestead.com/files/DCP_0087.JPG

Byu the way, ain't that an awesome feeling to have to REJECT medical schools and turn their offers down?....
smile.gif
smile.gif
I'm glad most of you folks just experienced that
smile.gif

David

Great photo! It sure beats being in Alaska! Hope to see 'ya in August (even though it looks like tha white coat ceremony won't be very special)!

Why do you say that muonwhiz?

I assume you are asking about my comment re white coat ceremony? If so, it is because of what a current MS1 at AZCOM told me about it. Check the pre-osteopathic board under the thread of white coat ceremonies for details. If you have any different or other info, please post it!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! To those still waiting, hang in there...

I thought I'd post an email that I sent to someone who emailed me about books, housing, etc for the first year. Keep in mind these are my personal opinions, but most other first-year students would agree. I hope this helps...

Phillip MS-1

Dear *******,

Your feelings of being overwhelmed with all the details, paperwork, moving, etc is shared by everyone (some admit it, some don't). Just chalk it up to part of the experience.

In terms of books, you should think about your learning style in past courses you've taken. Some people need to get most all of the books and some get hardly any. You won't have time to read all the reading assignments, but I got a lot out of having the books as a resource when I needed clarification about something. Also, I never had Embryology or Histology in undergrad or grad school, so those books helped a lot. For you first quarter, I'd recommend getting the Biochem book (Lippincott's), The Netter Anatomy Atlas (don't even think of not getting it - most of us took notes directly in it and studied straight from it for tests), the Gardner & Hiatt Histology book and atlas (especially if you haven't had histo before), the Embryology book, the Mosby Physical Exam (no rush on that one, just sometime during the first quarter) and the blue paperback OMT Board Review book by Robert Savarese, DO. Other books to get are: Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple - this helped me a lot!, The Board Review Series for Anatomy and the one for Physiology (you can use this one instead of the required book for your Physiology course - the same author wrote them both and the BRS version is just a concise version). It's a good idea to study from the board review books because they give information in a succinct format and you'll be studying from them for boards anyway.

Luckily, there's no note taking service (except for neuroscience your 3rd quarter). I say luckily because you get notes from the professors. In fact, some people get the notes from friends and don't go to most classes. There are different styles that work for different people.

I'm happy living off campus in the Park at Towne Center apartments (right next to the Arrowhead mall, and Bell Rd on 79th Ave). It's expensive to live by yourself anywhere; however, I'm glad I did my first year. The last thing you need is to have distractions because of roommate problems. I'm going to get a roommate next year to cut costs, but since we've had the chance to get to know our classmates pretty well, I feel confident that it'll work out.

Between now and the summer, be thinking of getting those BRS books, OMT Review book and Ridicule Simple books through Amazon. Also, decide if you want a roommate or not (if no, don't sign a lease longer than 12 months, that way you're free to change your living arrangements next summer without paying a huge penalty) and also where you might want to live. You'll have orientation in Aug and they'll give you the details of everything then. Don't worry about studying or reading too much ahead of time. Get your rest and play this summer. Most people say that you should do something that you normally wouldn't - I climbed Mt Adams in WA and took a trip to Lake Tahoe by myself last Aug. But if you do feel like studying anything, it wouldn't hurt to read about the brachial plexus - you'll know what I mean about half-way through the quarter.

Oh, one other VERY important book you should get. It's called Success Types and you can order it at http://www.ttuhsc.edu/success/
Also visit the AZCOM student webpage http://www.azcomstudents.org/

[This message has been edited by Mayqswet (edited April 22, 2001).]

Fabulous post, Philip! Thanks for all of the great info and web listings! See 'ya in August.

Congrats to everyone! Can't wait to put some faces with the "names".

Tiff

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at the academic calender and all the wonderful 2 week vacations we have after each quater. For some reason I noticed that MS-1's have nothing scheduled for Summer quater. Someone please tell me I'm not seeing things and that MS-1's get a good two months off during the summer.

Sorry about the mispelled word quater. It should be quarter. Maybe I am really seeing things.

Hi everyone,

I too can not wait to put some faces with all these names. I wanted to post an email I recieved from an MSI about loans. I know we're all looking into all our financial options, so I hope this helps. He also has a website if you would like to check it out:
[email protected]

He also included a page of FAQ's which i will post too!

I look forward to meeting everyone very soon.

Kelly

And now a word or two from Patrick:

Kelly,

I would recommend going with Midwestern's standard loans package. The school
uses Sallie Mae for all of their federal stafford loans. Sallie Mae is a
huge loan company and they have some neat programs in place. If you make
your first 24-48 payments on time they will refund to you all of your loan
distribution fees and lower your interest rate.

I did do some research way back prior to my first year here and did find
some programs that would waive all the loan fees up front but I made the
decision to keep all my loans with one company (Sallie Mae). You can access
your account info from the web and this year the whole loan application
process was on-line. Pretty quick and easy.

Beyond the Stafford loans which allow you to borrow $38,500 you can borrow
from the Health Signature Loan program which is also through Sallie Mae.

I have borrowed those loans as well and you can get them for the full cost
of attendance minus the stafford loans. Last year I think I borrowed $3,000
through that program. The interest rates on those are a little higher (I
think around 8.25?) but they are through Sallie Mae so when I am all done I
will hopefully have only 1 student loan check to write per month. Also, they
do have some neat programs like income-based payments, etc. I think that
should I need to defer any of my loans it will be easier to work with just 1
company as well. I don't want to be sending letters of hardship all over the
country to like 10 different loan companies!!
smile.gif

I think their website is salliemae.com if you want to check it out.

Well, glad that you have a fun summer planned. You will be glad you took the
time for yourself. Don't worry too much about financial aid. The people in
the AZCOM financial aid office are great and would be another excellent
resource to check into.
Keep me posted!! P.S....The weather is beautiful here! I am originally from
Minnesota/North Dakota so I know what you are going through with the winters
there. You will love it here.

Take care,

Patrick

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about AZCOM

Where should I live?

The answer here is pretty simple. If you are single you might want to think about the on-campus housing. It is fairly priced and you get to blend in and make friends with others on campus. I have not lived there personally but I don?t think it is too bad of a deal.
If you are living with a significant other I would recommend examining where he/she will be working and try to find a nice place somewhere central between school and their work. Phoenix is a big city and commuting is no fun. Living a few miles from campus isn?t the end of the world. Try www.rent.net if you are looking for an apartment off-campus. I found that service very helpful. Any apartments north of Bell road are usually fairly good, especially the apartments located near Arrowhead Mall and the new Arrowhead Highlands apartments adjacent to our campus. I wouldn?t sign too long of a lease however because you may meet classmates who you may want to have as roommates starting summer after MS-I year, etc.

What are the faculty like?

In my opinion the faculty are excellent. They do their best to get the material across to you in a manner consistent with the rigors of medical school. The faculty and administration are extremely supportive of the students.
You will probably find that missing lectures is not a big deal because of the excellent notes that the faculty provide for us. The faculty understand the pressure we under and do not take offense to the occasional empty classroom because we are off studying for our next exams. Many medical schools do not provide notes of any kind and we are definitely lucky to have this free service.

What books do I need my first and second year?

The answer to this is simple: very few books are needed at AZCOM because of the notes that I mentioned above. I would look at the AZCOM students website for their book recommendations. I found them to be very helpful. If you do buy books I highly recommend buying books that you can use while preparing boards during your second year. Don?t buy War and Peace sized textbooks because you will NEVER have time to read them. I barely have time to read all the notes!! The AZCOM students website is www.azcomstudents.org.

Will anything help me to prepare for coming to AZCOM?

Make sure you enjoy any time you have before you start medical school. If you have the ability try to plan a trip or vacation before you come to AZCOM. Medical school consumes much of your life once you start so don?t ruin your pre-medical school time by trying to read up on biochemistry. No matter how much you think you could get done during that summer before medical school, your medical school classes will blow right by where you were at within a couple of weeks. So don?t bother. If you have a family try to spend some quality time with them. You will be glad you did.

my fault. It's already been a long day... Patricks home page is www.patrickhogan.com (i gave you his email). And he's an MSII, not I. Sorry.

Yes. We get the first summer off at AZCOM--although I think most of our class plans on getting some elective credit, such as doing an extra preceptorship, teaching anatomy to the poor PA students who have to be here in the summer, or doing research.

Does anyone know if we can get a class list or something from the school? I wonder if they have some sort of student service for something like that.

By class list do you mean a list of the classes that we will be taking (this is in the catalog that we were given at our interview sessions) or a list of the people in out class? I'll bet that we get a list of the people in our class at orientation, but there is the possibility of much movement on the wait list until then, so I'll bet we would not get it before then. Any current students want to chime in? Also for the current students: were your orientation sessions helpful to you? Please describe.

Well, what I was hoping for was a list of students. I am still looking for another roomate and I wondered if that would be helpful. I would like to have all this apartment stuff setteled before moving there. Just a thought!

Tiff

How many students are in an AZCOM class typically?

130-140 is what the admissions committee shoots for.

they told us at the interview they were accepting 131 students.

When is everyone planing to move down to Phoenix? If everyone gets there a week or so earlier than the orientation week, maybe we could all get together to meet and all.

David B.

I'm going out at the last of May/first part of June to find housing and plan to move out there the last part of July/first of August. I'm up for any kind of meeting before orientation, so let me know!

i'll be out there the same time as muonwhiz. i'm also going out the end of may to look around for housing. i'd love to get together before school and orientation. keep me posted.

I'll probably be there in June myself. I'll go early for a summer job that I've gotten there. Although it's gonna be hell there during the onths of June and July, but I think it's worth the extra cash before taking the mega-loans out.
So, I think we can perhaps get together early August.

Party? ok. I think a little hangin' out is required before we dive into this insanity.

I have to tell you. Things are really getting exciting here in Chicago. My wife is so pregnant she looks like she might pop if you poke her with a fingernail. In the mean time, I am in a mad rush to finish my home renovations (started four years ago) before putting our house on the market. Additionally, since I will be cutting back to half time at work to take care of baby, I am working like mad to wrap up all the loose ends in several different projects.

So, I feel busy and under the gun. Moving back to AZ into a home that (God willing) will not be in need of any repair, near family that can help with baby, in time to make some new friends and comrades...this is all sounding pretty good to me!

By the way, I don't post very often because SDN gave me some ridiculous password that does not make any sense so I am always forgetting it
frown.gif
...I never have been fond of these goofy faces, but couldn't resist.

Slaminsam,

you can change your password at your will......just go to the profile on top of the page and enter your log-in name and the absurd password that you have right now and then once you're in your profile, you can change any of those items, including your password. No need to get frustrated over it......
smile.gif

And I'm glad to hear how things are working out for you man.

David B.

Everyone who is going to Phoenix to look for housing in the end of May/ first part of June time frame post your email moniker and/or address and travel plans. I will also do this when mine are finalized. It would be great to meet up with future classmates! Maybe we could agree to meet at someplace to eat or somewhere else and get to know each other! I will be getting my airline tix soon, and anyone contemplating such a trip that wants to talk can find me at: [email protected]

Getting together the week before orientation sounds great to me! I'm also planning on moving to AZ around August 15. The apartments across the street are still taking reservations for August, but the options are slimming down. If you need the number, please let me know.
kelley