AZCOM Class of 2005?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My family and I will try and move out by the end of July/first of August. A party sounds cool to get aquainted with each other! Any one thinking of like a 3 person study group? If so, we should try and find out about each other during that party (study styles, weaknesses, strengths...) so we can match up the most compatible. Does this sound interesting to anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, study groups are a great idea. Count me in!

Of course, a get-together barbeque would be fun. I am anxious to meet everybody. I will be moving in, at the latest, the week before orientation. Maybe someone will have a big enough place to host it. I'm willing to help, just let me know what I can do...

Count me in on study groups also! I suspect that lots of them will be forming up all over the place at orientation! Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything more about what's going to go on? Has anone received further info from the financial aid office? One of the info papers said that they would send some comprehensive info after the first deposit was paid. I've paid mine but haven't received anything. What's up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa! First we were discussing our pre-school party and now its study groups! Alright, I guess this is an appropriate transition for medical school. So, lets try to match learning styles...

Has anyone else found that learning a second language is easier while drinking beer?

Muonwiz-- I haven't seen anything that describes orientation yet either. So, maybe we'll just show up at the front door in bermuda shorts and shades holding ice-tea with a little umbrella stuck in the ice cubes.
smile.gif

Alright guys/gals stop sounding so nerdy now..... :D Remember there are 120 some more people in the class whom we haven't met yet; so I'd say stop worrying about the study group formations and all just yet. SOON we will be overwhelmed with all that right after the orientation week. So, I'd just like to kick back right now and enjoy the absence of stress (soon to be gone) privilleged to me by the virtue of not YET going to medical school ;)
I will move out of L.A. in June or July. The apartment I'm getting (across the street) has a nice clubhouse where we can have nice BBQ's and socialize. I'm pretty sure we can have our "get-together" there. How many of you are thinking of living in the community across the street?

David B.

Muonwiz,

Oh I forgot to mention that I haven't got anything beside the Admission package and the housing info from school....oh and a newsletter and season greetings. I think they want to finalize admissions and close the class before they start the process with new students. And that usually takes place around June (early).
I think everyone is on the same page as far as this goes.

David B.

I remember reading somewhere that orientation starts Aug. 22. That date also being my birthday, I can't think of a better way to meet my new classmates than by getting hammered together on boat drinks. I won't be getting to Phoenix till a few days before. I expect the rest of you to be scouting local bars.

Okay, "roughgod" I'll take you up on it! My theory is that alot of med students are at least closet nerds, so let's see if I'm right or not. I was a chemistry major (have the degree) and that's pretty nerdy. Future classmates what were your majors?

hey bowsplash how old are you going to be? if you need some help on finding some bars, i have been here all of my life and i know where to go so e-mail me back and we can chat. we will make sure you have a great b-day.

Muonwiz- Major? I studied Kinesiology (that is to say "Exercise Physiology", not the weird stuff that studies allergies by moving your arms while holding the suspected allergen next to your body!) at CU Boulder...Go Buffs!

Berkeley- Did we interview on the same day? Aren't you the guy that has been working as an MPH with the prison system?

Hey Sam, don't make fun of Applied Kinesiology, I can touch you with a "hand mode" and make you weak! Just kidding. I have a few AK tricks up my sleeve, though.

I was a nerdy jock, I guess. Undergrad degree is in Kinesiology, math and English minors. I was a track and field athlete at LSU. Master's in Motor Control. Second MS in Biomechanics last year. I have been doing research in motor control/biomechanics the last few years.

I started a Ph.D. in Biomechanics when I decided that med school was what I really needed to be doing. Now I can "fix" people for my real job! How awesome is that!

Can't wait to meet everyone...

Nothing much to say folks.....just trying to keep thread up on the list, that's all.

David B.

LSU- your experience sounds pretty cool. You will definitely have a leg up on gait analysis and all the practical clinical stuff for musculoskeletal stuff. I have always been fascinated with biomechanics. It amazes me how much chronic poor posture and gait effects contribute to chief complaints later in life (ie, pain). I look forward to chatting with you about your experiences this fall. Just don't do any of those AK Vulcan death grips.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, no death grips. But watch out for that counterclockwise finger rotation!

I am really looking forward to OMT - it's the reason I'm paying $27,000 a year for med school! I'm pretty sure PMR will be my specialty, so I can use my experience in biomechanics, motor learning and coaching. You are right, it should be a good head start in musculoskeletal stuff.

I will be happy to offer my expertise to you all when we get to that point. Each person will have their strengths and weaknesses regarding background preparation. I'm probably weakest in the micro/biochem/path stuff. We can figure out everyone's strong areas and help each other out when needed.

But not until after the barbeque!

hey slaminsam, you got the wrong guy. i am not the guy who works at the prison, but i am still excited to meet you--tony

Where is swdave? I thought you had a meeting with the Dean. Post up the details!

Hello again all! Just wrapped up my undergraduate degree (YES!!). So Muon your undergraduate was chemistry - mine is similar being biochemistry. And I am excited about OMT too LSUgrad! I hope SWDAVE got an answer. Nothing more to post now, hope you all have a wonderful summer and if something comes up of interest I'll keep you posted. Please do likewise.

Hey, I'm still around, just been real busy with work.

I'm meeting with the Dean in a few weeks.

The only real news is if anyone else has been interviewed recently the committee is scheduled to meet on the 11th. They plan to also rank the alternate list if everything goes well. :) A couple weeks early!

Here's to still waiting!

Dave

Hello classmates and classmates to be! I'm going to be in Phoenix June 3-7, and I'm going to be looking at housing. I will also be meeting with Dean Cole on 6/4. If anyone else in going to be in the area at that time and wants to get together, email me at [email protected] and we'll see if we can coordinate schedules. Also, swdave- don't you live in the area? Let me know if you want to meet. I'm sure you're going to be with us at orientation!

Hello there everyone,

I had this idea of putting together a student website for our class and finally did it. I thought it'd be nice to have a website where everyone could interact and we could share information and be informed of what goes on in a busy class of 130 some students or in the whole campus for that matter.
So, I put up this site over the weekend. It still needs some minor adjustments, but most of it is done. So, what I'd like to ask you guys is to come up with ideas and things you want to have on the site. As we start the school in August, there will be more essential material for posting on the site, pictures, old exams, more links and things in that nature. So, feel free to comment and make suggestions. I hope I can keep up with keeping it up-to-date as we go through the quarters when school starts.

Let me know what you all think about it:
http://geocities.com/azcom2005/

David B.

Super idea, David B! All of the stuff you have planned for it sounds good! Have you thought of having some sort of directory where class members can sign in with their names, schools attended, majors, basic info etc.? This could help everyone get to know each other. Also, is there a chat room where the class can talk? Great idea! Come on August!

muonwhiz,

I'm glad you liked the site. I am now working on the discussion forum for it, and a chatroom will hopefully be up soon as well. As far as the directory goes, I can do that if everyone would be willing to join in it. I think info. such as Name, Alumnus of, and majr in addition to hometown are what I would put in the questionaire, what do you think?

David B.

Hey Muonwhiz,

I'll in Phx again in a couple of weeks but I'm currently in NE. I'll be there in a couple of weeks visiting family. BTW: Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Roughgod: great start to the site. It'll be a bit of a challenge to keep up with in my opinion. Good luck with it!

David B: These sound good. Perhaps you could also add spaces for hobbies and what medical areas that people are interested in. It would be good to start learning some names and info before orientation. Muon

Hey guys,

Would any of you mind posting up your stats so me and other future docs know what our numbers should be to be competitive next year?

Thanks

Hey all, just posted my info on the student website. Everyone else please do the same - it will help get to know each other in advance. Especially since many are moving down one or two weeks before classes - I know I want to know a little about you all for possible study groups. Talk to you again soon - and hang in there SWDAVE - I'm still pulling for ya!!

Hallaljello: you don't want stats from several accepted individuals, without knowing alot of each person's background you wouldn't have the picture that the adcoms had when making decisions. If you want to know the average stats for accepted students, many schools have this on their web sites. Also, you can find these in books such as the MSAR and the description of all schools put out by AACOM. You'll be better off with that than ancedotal evidence of a few people.

For what it's worth our class (2004) averages were told to us at orientation. I believe it was 3.5 and about 26....but that was a long time ago, and I may be off.

As noted above though, these are only averages, and really don't tell you the whole story. And no, nobody talks about or cares what you made on the MCAT once you're in (which is, somewhat, refreshing).

Good luck

I'm really sorry for this, and appologize to those people who have submitted info on the class website. There has been some difficulties with the server and none of what you have submitted has gotten through!!
The good news is that I already fixed it and now you can submit the form and be confident that I will get it.

Sorry again,

David B.

David -

I love the website. Thanks for all of your work on it.

Is everyone interested in having a pre-orientation get together the weekend before orientation (Aug. 18/19ish)? If so, I'll check into reserving the clubhouse at the apartments across the street.

kelley

great idea, just post up the time! a get together would be really great.

I have a dilemma. I am trying to decide whether or not keep my old Biochem, O-chem, and Cell Biology textbooks. Should we keep them just in case we need those books at AZCOM? Or will those textbooks just clutter our room and tak up space? Anyone have any ideas?

The site (AZCOM 2005) has been now updated with new students' info. Take this opportunity to get to know your classmates of next 4 years and submit your info as well. Oh by the way, if you want a picture of you also be posted along with your information, e-mail it to me separately.

I just came back from Phoenix and can now say that I have an apartment to live in next year. :D

David B.

I'm going to be taking some of my science books to have on hand for basic references if needed. I'm going out to Phoenix the first part of June and hope that decent housing is still around to be had. Did you have much trouble finding a place? How long did it take?

Well, I kind of knew what I wanted and basically it was the matter of getting a good deal which took a lot og bargaining and negotiating on my behalf; but it was certainly worth it. There are a lot of options. There are complexes all around the area. It depends what you look for. For instance if you're willing to go as far as 72nd st. which is about two miles from AZCOM, you'll find apartments generally less pricy (by at least 100 buck) than the ones across from the school. Those would give you a resort life style apartments, and they charge for what they provide. So, it's I thikn a matter of individual preferences. But whatever you do, be sure to bargain and get a good deal.....go around and see your options and that way your negotiating powers are more realistic.

David B.

OOOOPPPSSS!!!!

CORRECTION: I meant to say 72nd Ave. up there.

Check out the website for a message on the homepage.
The list is growing rapidly and updated frequently.

David B.

I'm not sure if anyone still checks this board or not, but I just wanted to let you know that the site is growing rapidly. Get to know everyone and make contacts before the school starts. Visit http://geocities.com/azcom2005/

David B. :eek:

Someone posted here about the possibility of having a class of 2005 get together before orientation. What's up with that? Maybe that could be posted on the new website, with a sign up for all that are interested along with proposed dates and places. Don't 'ya think most classmates will be in Phoenix by around August 15th?

muonwhiz,
I was thinking of the weekend before orientation - August 18/19. Anyone have preferences? Saturday or Sunday? I'll try to reserve the space. David, would you mind posting the info on the website?
kelley

Those dates sound good, as by then just about everyone should be in town. I can't wait to meet everyone, and we should eat, drink and be merry for on August 27th academic hell begins!

Hello. I am the spouse of oregonDO. We have two little ones, and I was wondering if any other students were bringing spouses or children with them??

Oregon DO,

I think we are arriving on the 17th. If so, my wife and kid will definitely come along as well.

Muonwhiz,

Were did you get the phrase, "eat, drink, and be merry?" As I recall you seemed to have left out something very vital in that phrase. Shouldn't it be, "eat, drink, and be merry, for tommorow we die." for tommorow we die :D

Mr. & Mrs. Oregon DO,

I was just wondering. With two kids, what does your annual budget look like?

We just have one kid but our annual budget is in the low $50,000 right now. Does that seem high or low to you?

Aloha Kid:

including school, our budget is close to $58,000. That includes medical insurance through the school for all of us. It is gonna be tight, but hey - this is medical school- time to scrape by!! :) we are moving into SageStone Apts (3bed). with two months free and $99 move in, our average yearly rent $916/month (factoring in two months free). We are hoping to move out the 3rd week in July to get settled. Have you found a place yet?? how old is your child? Talk to ya soon. :) Mr. and Mrs. Tackitt :cool: :cool:

OregonDO,

My wife and I are moving into Sage Stone as well in mid-August. We are holding a one bedroom and they are going to allow our dog as well. I think it's a great deal (at least I hope it is)!
:p

Boise Doc and spouse,
That's great!! :) As far as location and ammenities (as well as two months free!) we found this to be the best deal for us. Look forward to meeting you all.

BoiseDoc and OregonDO,

My fiance and I will also be living at Sage Stone, and we plan on moving in on July 20th. My last day of work is July 4, and I am beside myself with excitement to be moving as well as no longer working the graveyard shift. We will be moving down with two dogs, Loki and Badger, and a cat, Taz. It was great finding a place that accepts pets! Talk to you all again soon.

Wade

Wade and Fiance, That's great!! Now there will be two more people in the same Apt. complex that are affiliated with AZCOM!! Looking forward to meeting you both.

Hey guys! Tell me more about these Sage Stone APartments. I've got 2 dobermans that are coming with me and I'm looking for a place. I'll be there in 2 weeks to try and find a place. What is the rent for a 1 bedroom? Are there any limitations on the size of the pets (each dog weighs about 75-80 lbs). Is there a good place nearby to let the dogs do their business? Do tell more!