AZCOM Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

San_Juan_Sun

Professor of Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seem to be enough of us accepted now to AZCOM that we can get a thread of our own going. First off, congrats on your acceptance, at what I truly believe to be a great school. I look forward to meeting you all.

Has anyone considered where they'll be living yet? I know it's still a bit early to plan that. Just wondering if anyone has heard much about housing near AZCOM. I saw a couple of the on campus apartments, and they are a heck of a lot nicer than where I currently live. Going to AZ, my wife's only demand is that we have a dishwasher. We've also thought about buying a small home or condo, but we haven't looked at all yet.

Anyway, look forward to meeting you all. Feel free to intorduce yourselves here. For those with questions about AZCOM, I'm sure that many people would be happy to respond to you.

Members don't see this ad.

sjs-- i've been debating starting one of these things for a while. My wife and i are also looking at where to live-- we are debating a drive down to az but i don't see that happening any time soon-- not sure the triplets are up to a 12 hr drive quite yet :D i don't know if you've seen it yet but www.azcomstudents.org has a few good resources on apartments.

I've seen a few places that are supposedly close to AZCOM that are supposed to be nice. I was really impressed with the on campus places, and I've enjoyed living on campus here in Provo. But, if I'm going to spend $600-800 a month in rent, I'd rather just use that towards a mortgage and build some equity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy!
I really liked the on campus 2 bedroom that we saw on the tour. The only thing is that we have a cat, and I don't know yet if that would be cool with the housing people. I got an "Apartment Guide" while in for my interview and there are quite a few places close to school. Some are really expensive, but I guess that a road trip to Phoenix will be the only way to see. My fiance and I have thought about renting a house in the area. Does anyone know some more on the house rental market in the glendale area?
I am sure stoked about going next fall! I look forward to meeting you all. :)

One of the newspapers down there has a good real estate section in their classifieds online. Hit the link that jhug provided to azcomstudents.org . Then search throught their housing info stuff, and the link to the newspaper is in there somewhere.

That might give you some idea of the rental market. Fortunately, housing in that area is pretty cheap. As long as either your fiance has a decent job or you guys can get someone to co-sign a loan with you, it actually might be more economical to buy a place.

Very true!
My fiance will be joining me in December of my first year. She is finishing up nursing school now here in Reno. So she will have a good job, but will be just starting out. We haven't gotten as far as to scope the nursing job market yet, but will be soon. I definately want a house, but I don't know if I want to buy because we might have to move in 4 years anyway, who knows:) The area does seem to have a good real estate market...especially pricewise.

Hello!

When I did the touring, I asked the management about bringing pets. He said no pets allowed, not even birds.

Bummer!

Hi all! I will be joining you all in August. I'm stationed in San Antonio now- I'm active duty Air Force. But I did my undergraduate at ASU. Phoenix/Glendale is a wonderful place to live, and I think AZCOM will be a great school. There are some reasonably priced apts, and it's a buyer's market for real estate if you're considering purchasing a home. My husband and I are still debating our future living arrangements- we have a daughter and two bassetts.

I hope to hear from all of you soon!

jhug- congratulations on your newest arrivals

Cyndi

When I did the touring, I asked the management about bringing pets. He said no pets allowed, not even birds.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh well! There are a lot of places around campus. Just thought that it would be soo nice to be able to walk right to and from class.

Hello Bla!

What kind of pets do you have? There's a couple of dog parks in Glendale if you have a social dog... my dogs love to meet other friendly pooches.

Cyndi

cyndi-- thanks! they keep us busy but they really are fun lil kids to have around:D so what do you do in the AF?? growing up i always thought i'd be a pilot.

Now my fiance and I have two kitties, but if we can get into a house we are getting a dog ASAP!!! I have two dogs that live with my folks in Bullhead City. What kind of dogs do you have??

Don't get me started on dogs! I've got a white German Shepard male. 2 years old, great with kids, and living in NM (with wife's family). He's too big for an apartment anyway.

:( I might need a little time to myself right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

jhug- I'm a medic in the AF. Basically, we assume general nursing duties and are certified EMTs. The AF really takes care of its people. I will miss the comraderie when I separate to attend school.

Bla- I have two very lovable and stubborn bassett hounds. They are great dogs to have around children. My daughter really gets excited when they show interest in her; she's only 15 months old.

San Juan Sun- If this helps, I used to have a Great Dane in an apt at Central and Bell Rd in Phoenix. I can't quite remember the name of the complex, but it isn't that far from the school (about 5-10 minutes depending on traffic). But there are many places that would accept one pet in an apt.

Thanks guys for replying. I think it's nice that we can get to know one another before classes begin. I can't wait to meet everyone!

Originally posted by lucky9999
does anyone happen to know the grading policy at the school....

Letter grades A- F

or

Pass/Fail ???
Students are given a numerical score for classes, with a 70 being the passing minimum.

Hello cdreed....

Just want to say HI! And congratulations :clap:

I interviewed with you....I am the Asian girl ;)

I am in Michigan now but I really like Arizona, and that is why I applied. However because of my fiance and family, I haven't decided if I can go there yet....

San Juan
I hear ya. I have a Lab-Akita that has to live with my parents because my fiance and I are in an apartment. He is such a great dog...not a mean bone in his body:) I love my two kitties, but I am such a dog person at heart.

cdreed
Bassett hounds...very adorable dogs! :)

I live here in Chandler, AZ and will be attending AZCOM class of 2007. Having lived in apartments in scottsdale and chandler for the last 2 years with my wife, I would say that the on campus housing is over priced. You can get better apartments for cheaper. You just need to compare. Many times the apartments (especially the new ones) will have great move in specials like 2 months free etc. As for us, we will buy a house up in glendale. I have a Brother who is a real estate agent if anyone wants his number to get more info about glendale, or if you just want to talk to me about it, email me at [email protected]. Anyways, congrats to all who have been accepted, I look forward to meeting you all and just want to say that I know we will have a kick butt class. :D

Flintstone- Thanks! I remember you. Weren't you wearing a dark skirt suit? It must be nice actually having to choose a school to attend. Best of luck to you!

AZmedstudent- Where did you do your undergrad? I was at ASU. I probably will take you up on your offer to find decent living accomodations. I just have to confer with my husband first. Thanks for the offer. :)

A couple of questions for 2007 AZCOMites:

1. What impressed you most about the school?

a. Faculty and students
b. Rotations and didactics
c. Phoenix area
d. Residency placements
e. They actually accepted you

2. Are you going to AZCOM for sure?

a. Yes, cancelled all other interviews and apps
b. Most likely, still waiting on another school
c. Still playing the field, see what happens
d. Probably not, better offers elsewhere
e. I just wanted to see if I could get in.

3. Future specialty?

a. No idea yet, need more exposure to everything
b. I have some ideas, but nothing really sticks out yet
c. Family practice, OB/GYN, peds, internal medicine
d. Internal medicine and then a fellowship like cardiology or oncology
e. Something surgical
f. Others, like rads, EM, or anesthesiology
g. Who cares? I just hope to survive the first year.

san juan sun:

I was most impressed by the preceptor based rotations and the early patient contact. The facilities were a plus, as well (except for the lack of a dining hall).

I am for sure going to AZCOM. I chose between it and a few allopathic programs. AZCOM just clicked with me- and my family is there. I really like the fact that a solid support system exists for me.

As far as my future specialty, I lean towards primary care, but I am keeping my options open at this point. Who knows?

How about you?

Cyndi

AZCOM is definitely the total package in my book. I was most impressed by:
-the facilities
-faculty
-preceptorship curriculum
-demeanor of the students
-past board scores

In addition, I love Arizona weather. I've had my share of snow and cold, growing up on the east coast. I think it's about time that I have some sunshine and warmth to depend on.

As far as a specialty, I am interested in orthopedics. I'm sure that'll change throughout school but it'll be fun to figure it out!

I'm so excited!!!!

Fred

Yes, I am at ASU. I will graduate in may.

San Juan,

Most impressed by preceptorship, & campus.

Pretty sure I will attend there. (90%)

Not sure about the specialty.

Originally posted by San_Juan_Sun
A couple of questions for 2007 AZCOMites:

1. What impressed you most about the school?

2. Are you going to AZCOM for sure?

3. Future specialty?

1. I know several students there, all of whom loved the school. I went to the interview and was blown away by the place. I also really like the rotations.

2. 99.9%. I cancelled all interviews and apps when i got in at AZCOM. But, I did interview in the meantime. As a school I liked AZCOM the best. The only way I'd go anywhere else is if I got a great financial package somewhere, which is very unlikely.

3. Right now: ENT. I'll let you know what it will be next week, it seems to change that much. I definately think ortho is cool, but I need to know more about everything.

What did i like about azcom?
Faculty and students, Rotations and didactics, Phoenix area, Residency placements and especially because they actually accepted me

Are you going to azcom for sure?
It would take having triplets AGAIN to keep me out this year :D

Specialty?
Peds-- after seeing my own kidlets in the nicu for 7+ weeks, i knew this is where i want to be (at least for now)

When does school start typically? Can't Wait!!!!

Fred

Impressed me the most?
Th rotations, the area, the facutly, the students, the school...:)
But really, I think what did it for me was the students and what they had to say about the facutly during my interview. I knew That accepted that I would be there 100% And I am going 100%:)

My future specialty?
For the longest time I was Gng Ho FP. But now after working in a hospital I am not sure, there are so many things. Ortho looks really fun (lots-o-toys), but I really dont know.

Azmedstudent

Thanks for the post! I will be getting back to you about the real esate thing. I have a feeling that your brother is gonna get flooded with inquiries :)

I really look forward to meeting y'all. My fiance and I will be making a trip to the area probably this winter break to look around at places to live and such (we don't have a summer because she'll be in school all summer). Perhaps we will run into ya Azmed.

Where do you guys think that you are going to live? Anyone set on living on campus?

Fred

fred, last year we were pretty set on it-- then the housing people said that they were looking to change things to make them more competetive to surrounding housing options-- what they came up with was much worse than what they had. They raised the rent, cut the extras and changed the parking. Now we are looking at apartments within 5 miles of the school, isles @ arrowhead has made the best impression so far. Does anyone know if there are laws regarding how many people can live in a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment? with the 3 kids we don't know if 5 can be (or want to be;) ) in only a 2 bedroom.

Hi everyone!

I am just thoroughly excited that I know where I'll be in August. I haven't decided where to live yet. My family and I will be in Phoenix at Christmas, so I'm sure we'll be looking around and comparing. There are some nice apartments in the area. Hopefully, I'll attend my AF mandated officer training in Alabama in June/July and be in Glendale in August. I would really like a little r & r before classes begin.

My husband can't wait to throw his first big barbeque. He's anxious to meet some new people. I would like to get to know you all, as well. After all, we'll be spending the next few years of our lives together. We should enjoy them!!

Cyndi

Is anyone from the east coast? I am moving from Virginia and starting to plan out my move. I have a feeling that I am going to end up driving my stuff all the way out there. I don't have that much stuff but I may be moving myself out there. If there is an easier way that anyone can suggest I would greatly appreciate it.

Fred

Ya, charles that would be great. Any of you who come down to AZ I would love to meet you. Just email me a little in advance and we can set something up.
:cool:

JHUG, I will ask my apartment complex if there are any laws about how many people can live in an apartment.

Does anyone know how much a 1 and 2 bedroom apt costs on campus?

Fred

Originally posted by fozzy40
Does anyone know how much a 1 and 2 bedroom apt costs on campus?

Fred

This is just from what I remeber from the tour, but I think they said that you can get something for anywhere between $550 and $800 a month. Maybe someone can give you a better guess than me.

Dang, I'm getting excited to get down there. I probably won't be moving down to AZ until August.

I too can't wait! I won't be moving down til Aug either, but I am gonna go down this winter break, and maybe again this summer just to get oriented and such!
I will surely email you AZmed when we come down!

Fred,

The on campus 2 bedroom apts are about $750/month for a standard (no W/D and the kitchen and living room are combined) and $960/month for the luxury (W/D and separate kitchen and living room).

I agree that the apts are nice. But if you have a car, I would suggest looking at apts in the area. The rent is comparable or even cheaper, and you will have more amenities.

Cyndi

Thanks for the info. Can anyone suggest an apartment complex for a single person like myself. I really only need a one bedroom but a two bedroom would be nice for studying. Take care!

Fred

cdreed-- what have you heard about the isles @ arrowhead? They have made the best impressions on us so far but we will definately be making it down to have a look.

Hi jhug!

Take a look at the following address:

www.springstreet.com/apartments/fyp/search/matchlist.jhtml

Most of these apts are in a great location (anything in arrowhead is nice). I'm probably going to rent at Sage Stone. I think that they may offer a discount to AZCOM students, and it's right across the street. I just can't beat the location.

Hope this site gives you some good info.

Cyndi

Cyndi,
Thanks for the site!

Hey All.

Just wanted to say congratulations to everyone who got into AZCOM, Class of 2007. I wish you all the best of luck in your futures! You chose a great school.

Hey guys! I would recommend looking just a bit further than the ones accross the street. They are (or were when I was looking) the pricier ones in the area. Look up Strayhorse, that is where I am at now, and I love it! They are about one mile from the school on 67th and it doesn't even take me 5 minutes to get there. They gave me 1 1/2 months free for a move in special, and the rent was cheaper than the ones right across from the school to begin with. Also, I am not sure if this is common everywhere, but the area usually offers specials around the summer time frame.....

Congrats to you all! and sorry I will not be joining you guys next year since I will be going to PCOM!!! (and am going to freeze my butt off, but that is okay with me!)

I just got some good news. Looks like I'm going to get WICHE going to pay half of my tuition at AZCOM.

Right on San Juan!
Thats is very cool, I wish that i had the chance. Its gonna be a little less $$ to worry about!:)

sjs-- how did you find out so early?? congrats! I imagine that will relieve much of the stress of starting med school

They just sent me a letter. I had to have everything for my WICHE app in by Oct. 15th. I got it sent out on the 14th. :) Less than a month later I get the news. They must not have had that many people apply from NM I guess.

And yes, it does make the tuition burden a little lighter. It'll be 60K that I won't have to take out in loans. I don't think the miliatary is right for me, and National health Corp (or whatever it's called) limits me too much. I'm really hoping to keep my debt around 100K at the most.

Congratulations San Juan Sun!!

I'm really happy for you. And you're absolutely right... debt is horrible.

So, if you get into your state school, will you attend AZCOM?

I'm kind of in a similar situation. I am waiting to hear if I got into USUHS. You just can't beat the $$. But I'm fairly sure I'll attend AZCOM. I really like that my extended family is there- the support system is invaluable.

Once again, :clap: !!

Cyndi

Originally posted by cdreed

So, if you get into your state school, will you attend AZCOM?

That's the question. Thing is, I'm really excited to go to AZCOM, and if they cost the same amount, I'd definately be going there. I'm looking at it like I'm going to AZCOM for sure, and will cross the decision bridge should I get there.

I just noticed that our thread was getting lower on the list of forum topics. Any new AZCOMees?

Originally posted by jhug
fred, last year we were pretty set on it-- then the housing people said that they were looking to change things to make them more competetive to surrounding housing options-- what they came up with was much worse than what they had. They raised the rent, cut the extras and changed the parking. Now we are looking at apartments within 5 miles of the school, isles @ arrowhead has made the best impression so far. Does anyone know if there are laws regarding how many people can live in a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment? with the 3 kids we don't know if 5 can be (or want to be;) ) in only a 2 bedroom.

I think legally you can live with 5 people in a 2 bedroom if you are all related. (fairly certain).

Congratulations to all of you. You will love AZCOM. I sure as heck do!

kristin
AZCOM 2005