AZCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DbDan

I like Bones
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly just wanted to be the one who started the thread for the future ;)

Already put down my deposit. AZCOM Class of 2015! Who's with me?

See you all around next fall at orientation! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice work beating me to the punch! I also look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Nice work beating me to the punch! I also look forward to seeing you in the fall.

:thumbup: see you in the fall.

Just got my rotation assignment yesterday as well, looks like I'll be headed back to Southern California for year 3 :D

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: see you in the fall.

Just got my rotation assignment yesterday as well, looks like I'll be headed back to Southern California for year 3 :D

DbDan, when did you send in your top rotation sites? I sent mine in via email over a month and a half ago... still waiting. Just curious.

I sent mine in Nov 3rd by email and found out I got my 1st choice, West Valley, on Friday. Seems like some people's responses were delayed due to email address typos. Hope you find out soon!

This. Also, he misfiled some it seems. I e-mailed him a second time and I got a response within a day.

Sent my matriculation deposit in a few hours ago!!! Anyone from PA by any chance?

Yeah I'm looking forward to the warm weather as well! I'm soaking up the snow cause this will my last winter for the next four years!

I also just found out my rotation site: West Valley!

i've been assigned west valley as well.

has anyone applied to the student housing yet?

I'm still waiting for my official confirmation but was told via e-mail that I had LA by Dr. Speicher :shrug:

I haven't applied for student housing yet, I haven't actually done much research on housing in the area. Has anyone else looked around yet at prices? The inclusion of phone, internet, and TV is pretty appealing to say the least. Would be nicer if I knew someone attending well enough to afford a 2 bedroom but I may be living on my own for first year. After spending the last 2 years at home, living completely on my own for a year may be refreshing, despite the extra cost.

I put my deposit down a few days ago! :) I am not looking into housing until after February though... I will be living off campus, and I need a two bedroom two bath (I need an office to study and I have a husband so two bathrooms would be amazing :laugh:) so if any of you have suggestions send them my way!

Hey everybody, Going to AZCOM next year too!... I had to make sure the acceptance letter and matriculation deposit was still paid today on the online portal... I was kinda scared I forgot to do something and my spot would be taken away:oops:.... Felt like a guy who won the lottery but messed up on the skill testing question!!! BUT my acceptance is still there so AWESOME!

I put my deposit down a few days ago! :) I am not looking into housing until after February though... I will be living off campus, and I need a two bedroom two bath (I need an office to study and I have a husband so two bathrooms would be amazing :laugh:) so if any of you have suggestions send them my way!

I e-mailed my friend who is currently a 2nd year asking about appartment suggestions. She bought a 2br/2ba condo so she's probably not the best person to ask but knowing her she'll ask around for me and give me a boatload of information about it. When I hear anything I'll try to post it here.

As for me, I'm probably just looking at a 1BR or studio to live by myself for first year. Unless I know my roommate well enough to know 100% I'd like living with them I don't want to risk that. I had a horrible experience with a roommate my last year as an undergrad so to me it may be worth it just to bite the bullet and live on my own despite the increased cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent mine in Nov 3rd by email and found out I got my 1st choice, West Valley, on Friday. Seems like some people's responses were delayed due to email address typos. Hope you find out soon!

I sent in an email to Speicher wondering what that status was on my rotation site and the next day he got back to me. I also got my first choice: West Valley!

As for those with housing questions I have lived near campus for the past year. I am currently completing a masters degree at MWU. I have lived in the apartments across the street (San Lagos) and have friends that live in the San Prado apts. The apartments are very nice and have great pools. I could walk to school faster than if I took my car, which is nice since traffic does build up in the morning to get into the main entrance. Yes, the price is a little higher than others, but convenience and comfort was a factor in my housing search.

I just moved to a house less than one mile away since I knew I was going to be in the area for a while. Let me know if I can help out at all. Congrats on all the acceptances thus far. All the best in housing searches.

I sent in an email to Speicher wondering what that status was on my rotation site and the next day he got back to me. I also got my first choice: West Valley!

As for those with housing questions I have lived near campus for the past year. I am currently completing a masters degree at MWU. I have lived in the apartments across the street (San Lagos) and have friends that live in the San Prado apts. The apartments are very nice and have great pools. I could walk to school faster than if I took my car, which is nice since traffic does build up in the morning to get into the main entrance. Yes, the price is a little higher than others, but convenience and comfort was a factor in my housing search.

I just moved to a house less than one mile away since I knew I was going to be in the area for a while. Let me know if I can help out at all. Congrats on all the acceptances thus far. All the best in housing searches.

Would those apartments happen to have garages someone could rent for their car(s)?

The more I look/don't look at apartments in the area; the better on campus housing is sounding. I'm torn over trying to find a roommate vs. living on my own. Its SO cheap having a roommate both on and off campus but last time I had a roommate that I wasn't good friends with before we lived together he drove me up the wall. I almost moved out 6 months early because of him. I don't think I could do that again >.<

I just wanted to say hi to everyone in our 2015 class. I have lived close to MWU for the past 7 years and am very familiar with the area if anyone has questions on housing. I have lived in 2 different apartment complexes near there and have friends that have lived in others. I actually am putting an offer on a townhome after looking at apartment prices vs. having a mortgage but just went and price shopped all the apartments near there that were 3 bedrooms. Let me know if I can help anyone out on questions about the area etc. I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall and congrats to everyone!

Would those apartments happen to have garages someone could rent for their car(s)?

I know that San Lagos has garages, however you need to get on a waiting list. I recall the price being about $100/month and if you were pulled off of the list you could possibly end up with a garage on the other end of the complex.

There is, however, one carport that is included with each unit. If additional cars are needed to be parked there is uncovered parking available. Hopefully you can score a garage.

All the best.

I'm torn over trying to find a roommate vs. living on my own.

I'd seriously recommend going solo first year then if you're the least bit concerned about ending up with a roommate you can't stand. It just seems better to spend a bit extra your first year and not have a roommate than to have one you barely know and wind up having it adversely affect you academically or psychologically. Plus, you might like a new person before school starts, but I promise you, a number of people "change" in demeanor once classes start, grades are assigned, and stress piles up.

That is exactly what happened to me my last year in UG and what I'd like to avoid first year if possible. Had lunch with my mom today and she made an off hand comment about buying me a condo if there was something in the 70s that was actually nice but I'm not sure I'd want to do that knowing I'm only going to be in AZ for 2 years.

Yeah, as who knows how easy or hard it would be to recoup the money on that once you headed back to LA. From the sounds of it, there are usually a number of houses relatively close to school for rent too, so that's something else to consider.

Hey Random, or anyone else that may know, how large are the studios that are on campus? I really need to get back to check things out and visit first hand but are they pretty decent size? Also, is there parking for on-campus housing (does it cost extra if there is?) or do people have to find off campus parking arrangements?

Well, the studios are a little over 600sf. I know for what I want out of it, it's just about the perfect size. As far as parking goes, there is covered and uncovered parking exclusive to the apartments. The uncovered parking is free, covered parking is around $15/month or $100/year.

Well, the studios are a little over 600sf. I know for what I want out of it, it's just about the perfect size. As far as parking goes, there is covered and uncovered parking exclusive to the apartments. The uncovered parking is free, covered parking is around $15/month or $100/year.

:thumbup: Thanks. I sent the floor plan to my dad who is much more spatially oriented than I and who also has much more free time on his hands :laugh: and he drew it up for me. Seems like to scale he was able to fit a queen size bed, 6' couch, desk, wall mounted TV, 4' table and a small bookshelf pretty comfortably.

The one bedroom is obviously more comfortable but comes without the luxury of washer, dryer and dishwasher (which i hope I land if I do take the studio) for 500 bucks more a year. Meh... looks like I'll put in my application for housing and hope for the best. Definitely getting covered parking though, I refuse to let my baby sit out ;) haha

Seems like to scale he was able to fit a queen size bed, 6' couch, desk, wall mounted TV, 4' table and a small bookshelf pretty comfortably.

You've pretty much nailed my apartment's contents. There's even ample floor space for clutter still. :rolleyes:

You might have a good deal of competition vying for the luxury studios though, as I know a lot of people like me are going for them. haha Altogether though, even if you just end up in a studio with "added upgrades" it's not bad because you can still do dishes while you sleep or are in class.

You've pretty much nailed my apartment's contents. There's even ample floor space for clutter still. :rolleyes:

You might have a good deal of competition vying for the luxury studios though, as I know a lot of people like me are going for them. haha Altogether though, even if you just end up in a studio with "added upgrades" it's not bad because you can still do dishes while you sleep or are in class.

You bastards! haha I want the luxury studio. I want to be able to do laundry in my room and not waste time going to and from wherever else on campus I have to do laundry lol

You bastards! haha I want the luxury studio. I want to be able to do laundry in my room and not waste time going to and from wherever else on campus I have to do laundry lol

Haha Don't we all...
It really isn't that bad doing laundry if you don't have the units in your apartment. I think most buildings have a couple of laundry rooms available. Certainly if I had the w/d in my apartment I wouldn't wear nearly every article of clothing I own before doing laundry on the sporadic "light" weekends we have, but the laundry rooms (in my experience at least) are usually vacant so you can knock out four or five loads in a couple of hours.

:laugh: sounds like you do laundry the way I do. Problem is right now I'm doing it at home and not a laundry room so my laundry days are literally days. 3-5 loads takes forever, and thats if I can get my stuff in before my family steals either the washer or dryer lol

I miss doing my laundry at home, though that may or may not be due to the fact that my clothes had an uncanny ability to take care of themselves when I'd forget about them. haha

I miss doing my laundry at home, though that may or may not be due to the fact that my clothes had an uncanny ability to take care of themselves when I'd forget about them. haha

:laugh: I put in my application for on campus housing a couple weeks ago. We'll see what happens. Apparently Mid-March is when assignments come out. :xf: I figure if my mom wants to help pay for a condo she should do so when I'm going into residency, or she can help me pay for my housing on campus or during my 3rd/4th years. Much easier and more convenient this way.

I'm thinking mid-July. Depends on when I figure out where I'm living though and what's going on as it gets closer. Can't wait for the 3 day drive! haha.

When are all you out of towners planning on moving to the area? I was thinking beginning of July but now I'm leaning more toward middle of June.... I can't decide!

Probably not until the end of July, about a week before orientation. It doesn't take me long to get settled and its only about a 6 hour drive from SoCal

Hey where did ya'll get the option to sign up for your rotation sites? I paid my deposit but I didn't see an option on MWUnet to select my rotation area. Is that part of the acceptance packet they mail you? Thanks

Nvm, I'm ******ed. Ya'll talked about that at the beginning of the thread. I guess I'll just wait for my packet and then email them my preference.

Accepted, deposit down, and my rotation is West Valley :) I look forward to meeting all of you in August! I am also looking for a two bed, two bath (I could do with one bath) since I am bringing my husband down with me as well. Does anyone have suggestions for job searching in AZ? My husband needs to start looking and has no idea where to start. We're from OR so we will be moving a long way from home :)

Accepted, deposit down, and my rotation is West Valley :) I look forward to meeting all of you in August! I am also looking for a two bed, two bath (I could do with one bath) since I am bringing my husband down with me as well. Does anyone have suggestions for job searching in AZ? My husband needs to start looking and has no idea where to start. We're from OR so we will be moving a long way from home :)

Congrats on being accepted! Since campus housing isn't an option for me I've been looking at San Prados/San Lagos apartments, and also the Sage Stone at Arrowhead apartments. I think I'm leaning toward Sage Stone just because its cheaper and still not that far from campus. As for job hunting I can't really help you there. My girlfriend is moving with me and she will need to find a new teaching job, so if anyone has any suggestions send them my way also.

On a side note for those of you that chose your rotation site already, how can I tell which sites are Preceptorships and which are Ward-based? I was looking on the websites of the hospitals and they all looked like fairly large facilities (250-300+ beds), and I couldn't find anything on the site that discussed third year clerkships. I don't really have anything against preceptorships, but I would prefer more ward-based rotations. I'm really only trying to decide between West Valley or East Valley, but even still its hard to pick if you don't really know what to look for. Location aside, how did ya'll decide which site to pick?

I'm from Minnesota so I'm not familiar with how common scorpion problems are, but the thought of scorpions completely freaks me out. http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/AZ-Glendale-Sage-Stone-at-Arrowhead-948461.html
\

:confused: I don't like scorpions either...

I just started a "discussion" on the Facebook page... kind of a get to know people/hobbies thing. Someone please post to it so I'm not the only idiot on there.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=158051064214073

PJ My husband and I are searching for apartments too and I was looking at sage stone until I found a review that talked about a scorpion problem in december of 09. I'm from Minnesota so I'm not familiar with how common scorpion problems are said:
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/AZ-Glendale-Sage-Stone-at-Arrowhead-948461.html[/URL]

But the San Lagos/San Prado apartments seem a little pricey. We are thinking of getting a 2 bedroom and using the extra bedroom as an office since my husband might work from home and I'd rather not study in the bedroom or living room. I hate looking for apartments online!

I was thinking about doing the same, getting a two bedroom and converting one into a study. If I got an apartment at San Lagos/Prado I wouldn't be able to afford it tho. I'm not from Arizona either so I can't really speak about the scorpion problem but it doesn't look like anyone has complained about it in the last year...so maybe they fixed it? Plus if you get an apartment on the second floor then hopefully it won't be a problem. That would suck to wake up with scorpions in your bed...

On a side note for those of you that chose your rotation site already, how can I tell which sites are Preceptorships and which are Ward-based? I was looking on the websites of the hospitals and they all looked like fairly large facilities (250-300+ beds), and I couldn't find anything on the site that discussed third year clerkships. I don't really have anything against preceptorships, but I would prefer more ward-based rotations. I'm really only trying to decide between West Valley or East Valley, but even still its hard to pick if you don't really know what to look for. Location aside, how did ya'll decide which site to pick?

The ward-rotations are independent of rotation site. If you want to do a specific ward-based rotation, you'll talk to the department chair either 1st or 2nd year and try to get it set up through them. If for instance somebody wants to do the surgical-ward rotation that's in Phoenix, even if they're rotating out in California the school will still let them do that rotation and help out with housing for the duration of the rotation. Also, West and East have tons of overlap, and a lot of where you end up rotating at is based on where the docs you shadow have privileges. Best suggestion I can offer is: East has ASU= younger scene; West has Sun City= old folks. Your social life benefits from one, your dealing with more train-wrecks benefits from the other.

Well I started researching scorpions (I know I'm overreacting but I would seriously FREAK if I saw one) and they apparently can crawl up the outside walls and come down through the roof/attic... omggggg they are soooo creepy!

Scorpions and crickets are just something you have to deal with out here. It's really a lot of luck regarding if you have issues with either one. For instance, I live on-campus (on the first floor) and have not had any scorpions *knock on wood* and have only had a handful of crickets to deal with. Other people I know that live in the same complex on the first floor have had problems with both. The good news is that once late-October/early-November arrived, everything disappeared. I'm predicting they all start showing up again in about a month though...

Last edited:
I don't mind spiders but scorpions scare the **** out of me.... I am praying that I don't have to deal with scorpion problems on campus next year

I was looking around at apartments and kept seeing the scorpion thing too! Biggest thing we have up here are spiders the size of a dime =P, that 10 month winter is good for something.

I'm going to invest in some sort of a fire shooting device if I see a scorpion haha ;)

I was looking around at apartments and kept seeing the scorpion thing too! Biggest thing we have up here are spiders the size of a dime =P, that 10 month winter is good for something.

I'm going to invest in some sort of a fire shooting device if I see a scorpion haha ;)

lol Imma bring my airsoft gun, a 250+fps BB ought to take out those damn scorpions :laugh:

lol Imma bring my airsoft gun, a 250+fps BB ought to take out those damn scorpions :laugh:

No weapons/weapon-imitations allowed on-campus. :( They're actually pretty good about spraying for bugs though; I know a few times during fall quarter the housing manager sent out emails saying to let him know if you needed/wanted your apartment sprayed.

I live on campus and it seems that 1st floor has to deal with crickets and scorpions in my complex, while 2nd and 3rd floor have to deal with spiders. It's not as bad as it seems, but I'd rather deal with spiders over incessant chirping before a test day.

Just make sure when you move in anywhere to check for those holes and get those handy cricket houses with sticky goo. It gets rid of most the problems. Crickets also went away when winter rolled around but now they're coming back :/

No weapons/weapon-imitations allowed on-campus. :( They're actually pretty good about spraying for bugs though; I know a few times during fall quarter the housing manager sent out emails saying to let him know if you needed/wanted your apartment sprayed.

Damn, there goes that idea :laugh:

Oh well, good to hear they are good about spraying.

The ward-rotations are independent of rotation site. If you want to do a specific ward-based rotation, you'll talk to the department chair either 1st or 2nd year and try to get it set up through them. If for instance somebody wants to do the surgical-ward rotation that's in Phoenix, even if they're rotating out in California the school will still let them do that rotation and help out with housing for the duration of the rotation. Also, West and East have tons of overlap, and a lot of where you end up rotating at is based on where the docs you shadow have privileges. Best suggestion I can offer is: East has ASU= younger scene; West has Sun City= old folks. Your social life benefits from one, your dealing with more train-wrecks benefits from the other.

Thanks randomusername. That's good to know. I was wondering how they went about setting everything up. Since I am easily distracted I think West Valley would be better for me. lol

I don't mind spiders but scorpions scare the **** out of me.... I am praying that I don't have to deal with scorpion problems on campus next year

:thumbup:

I think I need to start coming over to this side of the forums more often... :) I feel left out! I usually post in the pre-osteo AZCOM thread. What is wrong with me? I feel like it hasn't quite hit me yet that next year is going to bring some big changes...

I think I need to start coming over to this side of the forums more often... :) I feel left out! I usually post in the pre-osteo AZCOM thread. What is wrong with me? I feel like it hasn't quite hit me yet that next year is going to bring some big changes...

I must be in denial then because I pretty much live over there. ;)

I must be in denial then because I pretty much live over there. ;)

Ya but you are being helpful and advising students over there. Noshie just chooses to refuse to accept her AZCOM class of 2015 status and chooses to associate with those still on the fence ;)