AZCOM Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbenavidez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI! :p I have lived in Glendale,AZ my entire life so if anyone has any questions about this area I will be happy to give you some info. I have an interview at AZCOM on April 16th. :cool: I know many great students from AZCOM, they seem to love the school! Because this is my home and I know the reputation AZCOM students have, it is my first choice. I became interested in DO school by hanging out with DO students from AZCOM. I know I would be happy there. However, I was accepted to NYCOM. :clap: I must say, I do love NY and NYCOM! I would be happy and thrilled to go to either school. Good luck to everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

HI! just wanted to find out how long it took NYCOM to let you know you got accepted. It's been 2 weeks since my interview, and I'm getting anxious. Do you think it will be a good idea to give them a call?

best of luck to you on the interview-- i really enjoyed mine and am looking forward to attending azcom!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you who interviewed at AZCOM, did you also interview at CCOM? I've been accepted there and I have an interview at AZCOM 4/15. I'm just waiting to see how it is compared to CCOM. Any thoughts? What about the reputation or quality of clinical rotations? I heard AZCOM does clinical rotations at the local jail. Is that a rumor or is it a fact? Also, what is the area like where the campus of AZCOM is located? Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. I really liked CCOM.

HI! I know for a fact that some of the students have done psych rotations at one of the jails. I am not sure which one it is. I know this b/c I dated someone from AZCOM during his 3rd year and I heard some great stories. One guy said he invented photosythesis. He went to great detail on how he did this too, quite amazing :wink: ! Two others in the jail had a some kind of rivalry, one claimed to be Jesus, while the other claimed to be Satan. :)

As far as rotations go at AZCOM, it is difficult to get into some hospitals. This is b/c UofA does not seem want UofA students working with AZCOM students. I think it is ridiculous, but UofA students seem to get the best teaching hospitals. I suppose it also b/c it is the only state school too. However, I think you can still get great rotations, it is what you make of it and how you chose to spend your time.

By the way I know the doc who is interviewing on the 15th of April at AZCOM, he gave me my letter of rec. He is a great doc and very easy to talk to;)!FYI! Hope all goes well!

Good luck to everyone! :) Monica

The class of 2006 for AZCOM must be pretty full right? I was told my application was complete way back in December, so I guess I wasn't too late on my application but they must be getting close to having filled the class. Does anyone know any more details? At CCOM, I heard that 90 percent of interviewed applicants were accepted. I hope thats true at AZCOM as well. Is Glendale an expensive place to live? Is there decent housing? I live in Boulder and pay over $900 a month so anything cheaper than that seems great. Is there any skiing there? How far? I'll miss Boulder definitely.

I have a bunch of info on housing up in Glendale since I've been on 2 trips up there from Tucson to specifically look at places to live. Do a search for the "AZCOM living" thread, and it's all there.

The area directly around the school is very nice. However if you go too far south (as in below Peoria St), it becomes scary. People in AZ don't think well of Glendale because this area is bad. But the area around the school is the Arrowhead Ranch neighborhood, which is fairly safe and nice. People living there will have more info than this, but it's a good guide to go by.

Glendale is perfectly safe and a nice place to live, if you know where to live. I would have to agree that living anywhere from Peoria on south is a bad idea. You want to stay to the north of Peoria. Anyhow, anything further south would take a while to get to the school, there are too many street lights in AZ, especially on 59th Ave. I know b/c I live on 59th ave and Thunderbird. I would suggest getting a place in the Arowhead area or around the school. You could always live near the Dear Valley Center too, that's a nice area just off Loop 101. There are appartments all over, so it seems to me. The houses around this area ranges anywhere from the low 100s to the millions. They are always building something new around here, it is always growing.

If anyone is comming for an interview on the 16th I would be happy to show you around. I would do the same for the rest of you, but unfortunately I have to work. The only thing I can offer everyone else is this... if you are looking for a place to eat dinner, go to Bell Road. AZ is the home of every chain restaurant known to man.

By the way for those of you that are going to be attending AZCOM I know where all the local Starbucks, Coffee Plantaion, Barnes and Nobble, and Borders are, just go to Bell Road near 75th Ave. These all seem to be the hot spots for those med students putting in their long hours of studying. :p

Good Night, Monica:)