AZCOM--quality of clinical rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisv

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently met an alum (3/4 years out) from AZCOM (midwestern) and he told me that during your core clinical rotations, you don't :)scared: ) actually get to touch the patients. Supposedly, the hospital where you do your core has a lot of restrictions, and students from another med school get preference. He ended up having to do a year-long internship to get experience before his residency.

I just got their secondary, and I'm debating if I should fill it out now. I didn't try to get more details from the alum cuz' it not a topic that he wanted to discuss. But he also told me that you have to set up MOST of your 3rd & 4th year rotations.

I'm not trying to spread rumours about the school...just wanting a perspective of AZCOM alum, and III, IV year students.

Members don't see this ad.

bumping, would like to hear from students...

Are you sure you didnt talk to one of the grinches of the class? Perhaps he/she was at the bottom of the class hating life? Perhaps they were so awful, no hospital let him/her touch any patients. AZCOM rotations have been discussed at length. Read past searches, just do a search.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just talked to a pgy3 local resident over here that graduated in the top 10% of his class from AZCOM. He told me that the responsibility is up to the students to pick the "good" rotations, just like at all DO schools. So basically the students need to be well educated and on the ball in order to get the good rotations. Apparently they are there, but he said it was kind of frustrating having to find them and set them up. Other than that he loved AZCOM.

from what i understand, U of A used to be able to block midwestern students from doing clinicals at county (MIHS) hospital. over the past couple years, this has changed. a friend of mine at touro-nv told me that in the past a bunch of midwestern kids would migrate to las vegas to do some of their rotations there. honestly, i'm not positive about the current situation--but i can tell you that midwestern is making a name for itself here in the valley. arizona is experiencing a huge doctor shortage (who isn't, really?) and i wouldn't be surprised if this is not such an issue by the time we start clinicals. a hospital just down the street used to be a 'DO' hospital and has employed tons of DOs (John C. Lincoln Deer Valley Hospital )--touro-mi and a few other DO schools let their students set up rotations there. regardless of what happens your clinical years (yes, it'd suck to have to move around a bit, but from what i've heard that happens at a good handful of schools)--i can tell you it's their policy to start clinical exposure early--they pair you with a physician in the area, that the campus is beautiful, the board scores are solid, the DOs i've met with in phx who didn't go there have told me to go there (whatever that means), and the DO i've met with that did go there was matched and is now working at mayo... :luck:

Yeah I heard the same thing about setting up the rotations

Hmmm, that is weird. I actually work in an ER in Arizona, and I have seen plenty of people from AZCOM doing their clinical rotations there. I have seen
2nd and 4th year students coming in who are seeing patients. However, I believe that AZCOM students will be able to answer this the best.:)

i interviewed there and was told that starting our class (2011), students are required to do their core rotations at one of their contracted hospitals throughout primarily AZ. The dean said that this is so that they will be able to monitor the rotations to make sure that the students are getting the maximum experience.

Maybe this is in response to the negative rumors about rotations there previously?