AZCOM students: Thoughts on on-campus housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inquiringmind24

"The fact man"
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all AZCOM students who have lived in or currently live in the on-campus housing units:

What are your thoughts on choosing this options vs. off-campus?

How much is electricity per month?

As a first year student, is it recommended to live with a roomate or by yourself? The roomate option seems much cheaper.

How much is the student insurance per month? (I can't seem to find this info)

Do many students who live on campus their first year do so their second year?

Today I'm working on financial aid stuff and trying to decide on housing so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Members don't see this ad.

Overall thoughts: I like it. One can get better deals elsewhere, but I like being able to walk to class and not having to worry about the miscellaneous details usually involved in renting.

Electricity: for my 2-bedroom luxury: $50-$200, averaging out to probably around $80 during school months.

Roommate: I'm happy with my roommate; I wouldn't be happy if I weren't in a luxury apartment, as the standard ones are rather small for two people. If you go this route, put in early (ie now!) for a third-floor apt. so that you get the vaulted ceilings. A bit more electrical expense, but well worth it.

Insurance: Do you mean health? My SOMA insurance (single, under 30, no dental/visual) is $92/month. The school-sponsored program is significantly more.

1st-2nd: Lots of students stick around both years; it's not really like college where people routinely take off. You get a rent break over the summer for staying both years; I would have hated to store and move stuff, and with the deposits and summer rent involved in a new apartment, it would have also cost considerably more.

My opinion may be biased since I had a family.

I loved living on campus. Primarily for the reasons of proximity and convenience. It was nice running home for lunch to spend with the family. If you didn't want to go to a particular class, then it was nice to go home for an hour or two before the next class. No every day commute. No headaches. The school is your backyard, so study at it anytime you want.

My family and kids enjoyed the friendship of all the other kids. This really makes for a smooth transition especially for the kids. If they have friends, then they will be happy. The networking of spouses and children play groups are pretty good. They take place weekly.

In addition, contracts are pretty flexible and are run on a semester basis. This allows freedom of not being tied down to a particular house or apartment for a year. This is important for those in the third or fourth year who plan to do things away from AZ.

Costs are for the most part included in the bill. You pay for electricity and phone. Electricity can jump into greater than $150/month in the largest 2 room apartments. Of course, we left the AC on practically all day. In winter months, the AC is rarely used and the electricity is about $30/month.

The down sides I hear from some people but don't particularly agree with are

1. The need to just get away from school isn't there because you feel like you're at school even when you go home. (I think these people need better hobbies)

2. Too expensive - Not really. If you have roommates then it's not. For families it's quite comparable to other places given all the other benefits.

3. Too restrictive - Alcohol outside of the apartments is a NO NO. The apartments are well behaved. NO college/frat parties. Really a toned down quiet place secondary to all the study going on and also the many families with children. If you're a party animal, you may want to live off campus, or in a building without families and children present.

4. No pets

Many live on campus in the beginning. Once they find a home to buy, or an off campus apartment or roommate they like, they move.