Azcom vs western lebanon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uniquerabbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done all of my research for both schools and I am completely torn.

I currently live in Oregon and I also work in alot of the 3rd year rotation sites on the list they gave me (I know most of the ER physicians in 5 of the different facilities well). Given this, I am leaning more towards choosing western. I also know the area very well.

As for Arizona, I love the school and the rotations seem pretty solid this time around. The first 2 years seem excellent and the facilities are top notch.

I am sure that this has been discussed in detail with threads in the previous years, but the rotations have changed for both schools since.

Any pros and cons of each?

I know this isn't an obvious choice, but I would really like the opinions of others (not based upon geographic location or weather though :D)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have done all of my research for both schools and I am completely torn.

I currently live in Oregon and I also work in alot of the 3rd year rotation sites on the list they gave me (I know most of the ER physicians in 5 of the different facilities well). Given this, I am leaning more towards choosing western. I also know the area very well.

As for Arizona, I love the school and the rotations seem pretty solid this time around. The first 2 years seem excellent and the facilities are top notch.

I am sure that this has been discussed in detail with threads in the previous years, but the rotations have changed for both schools since.

Any pros and cons of each?

I know this isn't an obvious choice, but I would really like the opinions of others (not based upon geographic location or weather though :D)

Thanks!

Two things come to mind among others. First of all, AzCoM has been around for a few years and you can see thier match lists, thier scores, etc. while lebanon is a wild card school (even though they have been running the COMP-NW program for years, this is the first time it will be self contained). Second, you have to decide whether you want to live in a city or in a small rural town. Also, go where you want to end up, it's who you get to know for your rotations that will hire you for residency. It's early and I haven't quite woke up yet so that is all I can offer atm.

Out of the two I would probably pick AZ due to the fact that they have a few years of experience, but I can see this being a tougher choice since one is a in state school and the other will require you to move to another.

Members don't see this ad :)
AZCOM is a great school and I know incredible people like my Kaplan MCAT tutor who went ther. Yet, I'd go with Western in your case and here is why:

1) It seems you like Oregon. That's a huge plus.

2) It seems you have connections from your work experience and understand the culture at the institutions you'll be working at. This is also a huge plus.

3) While AZCOM has been around longer, Western-Pomona has a great reputation and so does their NorthWest track. All the plusses that gave Western their reputation are still there, the rotations are still there (whereas AZCOM recently expanded their class size), and Western still has a reputation to uphold. The won't let their new school fail because it will effect both of their campuses if they do.

4) Da local Boyz in Corvallis makes the best Hawaiian food this side of the Pacific!

Good luck.

COMP in Lebanon is the best choice!

The rotations in Corvallis and Portland are some of the best on the West coast and the COMP NW students will have first pick. The physicians I know Portland agree that Western is an overall better school.

I would really like to have more insight on both of these schools (not just geographic location)

Anything else??

I would really like to have more insight on both of these schools (not just geographic location)

Anything else??

I posted this elsewhere. It's AZCOM's 2010 match list

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...100745,-88.286133&spn=11.124826,23.225098&z=6

I think it's reputation on these boards is good enough but that list speaks for itself. You'll be just fine graduating from a school like AZCOM, it looks like. Western Lebanon hasn't even graduated a class yet. But I know Western in California is pretty good and so maybe being part of the Western name will help Lebanon out a tad. But who wants to risk seeing if that does or does not happen, though? I didn't apply to the Westerns but if I did and I got in to both, I don't think it would be Lebanon keeping me from accepting AZCOM's offer. It would be a toss up between Western Cali and AZCOM and I still would pick AZCOM for a variety of reasons.