azcom Vs Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed128

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepetances from Azcom and Western.
Tough choice. Please help me:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the exact same situation. I went on my third campus tour of Western yesterday and my decision got even harder. The two girls who led the tour had so many good things to say about it and I got to see how happy the students looked there. After interviewing at Arizona I thought it was so beautiful and that I would be the happiest there. But after seeing COMP again, I can see myself being just as happy there. It is so frustrating because they are both great schools and both produce great doctors. Can anybody help with this? Possibly thoughts from current students on why they think their school is best or on how they made their decision would be helpful. Please no bashing of one school to make yours look better. Thanks!:confused:

congrats to both of you!! it is quite an accomplishment to get into medical school, let alone two! I was in this same situation last year and remember how tough it was. I had a brother at western (PA program) and applied there as a last resort-- as an applicant i was blown away with the school and quickly felt that i should have taken the school more seriously. In the end i chose azcom simply with how i felt in the interview/around campus. I knew i would be happy in both schools and that either could take me where i want to go, but azcom just felt like the right choice for me. I also like the smaller class size and quick (1st year) intro to clinical experience that azcom offers (this was a biggie for me b/c, at least last year, comp didn't have any). The curriculum set up seemed a bit more manageable-- either way it's med school and will be very demanding. Both have great rotations, LA with the patient population, azcom with the preceptor based program-- In the end it comes down to how you felt and where you think you'll be at your best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Premed,

My impression of both schools seem that AZCOM being a new school has a curriculum that's more contemporary and boards-oriented. I have met several AZCOM students have yet to meet one that is dissatisfied with his/her school while rotating out here in Tempe.

During their 3rd year they come to the campus about once a week to discuss their rotations and cases. As well as take a test after each rotation I think. Also, I believe they board review for Step 2 at the school. Whereas, at Western... we only meet once during our 4th year for EFM weekend. This kinda puzzles me b/c we still pay the same amount for tuition ($29K and rising) as we did our first 2 years and have to deal with the rotations dept which isn't always accountable (2 people handle our ~170 person class).

So overall, if I had my choice... I'd probably opt with AZCOM. Western is strong too, but I just think there's more satisfaction with AZCOM students.

-Eric, MSIII
COMP

Don't forget that in Phoenix you will see an VERY good pt population as well. true, it's not the metroplex like S. CA, but Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the US. :)

good point charles-- and phoenix has some very impressive hospitals (ie:mayo) in the area.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm starting to lean towards AZCOM :cool:

what about housing? If I go to AZCOM I'm probably going to live in their student housing. It looked nice enough during the tour. Has anyone heard about good or bad experiences with AZCOM housing? How about at COMP? I know they don't offer housing, but do students typically find apartments together in buildings with lots of COMP students or is it pretty scattered?

Perhaps this thread is considered "dead..." i don't know. My mentor and several friends have graduated from COMP, and have wonderful things to say about the school.

I thought it was interesting that you're not confined to LA for your 3rd and 4th years... there's quite a bit of latitude.

ie. spending almost ALL of it at UMC in Las Vegas (the only Level I Trauma center for miiiiiles and miiiiiiles around... one of the busiest in the country). Of course, this latitude may be common everywhere, so far I can only comment on what I've observed.

Either way, I envy the OP's position... WAY TO GO!! verrrry exciting!!

:clap:

Hopefully I'll be making your decision in another year or so.

Christine

All I can really say (without going into details) is that it seems AZCOM students are all generally happy. About COMP, I can just say that our class, the class above, and the class below has complaints about COMP...just something to think about. Are COMP students just complainers, or do they really have a good reason to complain? Just know that wherever you decide, you will become a DO! That's good enough for me.

Rob
COMP DO Class of 2005

I say go to Western so you don't take any more slots away for us at AZCOM.