B.A. or B.S.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Element

Resident Fisherman
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping for some imput on my current situation. I have been taking a lot of the science pre-req for a science major. Now Im approaching the end of my sophmore year and I am going to declare my self a Biology major. My question is do med. schools look down on students who settle for their BA as apposed to a BS. The thing is the BS requires all the way up to Calculus III and I suck at Calculus.

Option #1 Get a BA in Biology with a minor in spanish and a k-12 teachers certificate (includes kids with special needs).

Option #2 Suck it up and try my best in Calculus and probably settle for "C"s in the 3 Calculus classes, but end with a BS.

Side note: I have nearly 1000 hrs of clinical volunteer exp, Emt-b cert. and work for a major university hospital in a patient care position.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it, the difference between BA and BS is usually a couple classes.

There are also a ton of easy majors like business, art, kinesology, astrophysics, etc. that get accepted.

3 c's suck. I'd say go for the BA and take calc only if you need it to get into a certain dream school of yours (like 1 and maybe 2). Also some BA programs don't make you take stats which I believe med schools like you to have.

Berkeley doesn't even offer BS's in Bio so people must get into med school with BA's.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is do med. schools look down on students who settle for their BA as apposed to a BS.

this is brought up like every other week, yet the answer remains the same. it doesn't matter.

Hello, I was hoping for some imput on my current situation. I have been taking a lot of the science pre-req for a science major. Now Im approaching the end of my sophmore year and I am going to declare my self a Biology major. My question is do med. schools look down on students who settle for their BA as apposed to a BS. The thing is the BS requires all the way up to Calculus III and I suck at Calculus.

Option #1 Get a BA in Biology with a minor in spanish and a k-12 teachers certificate (includes kids with special needs).

Option #2 Suck it up and try my best in Calculus and probably settle for "C"s in the 3 Calculus classes, but end with a BS.

Side note: I have nearly 1000 hrs of clinical volunteer exp, Emt-b cert. and work for a major university hospital in a patient care position.

Thanks for your time!

FYI about 15-20 schools require a calc course or two. You might want to consider taking one regardless of if you choose BA/BS

BA/BS doesnt matter at all. Some schools dont even give BS degrees, so everyone gets a BA. It doesnt matter if you are a physics or an englihs major, they both get BAs. This is how it is at my school (liberal arts college)

Thanks for the replies.

from what I have read/ been advised on:

Great grades+B.A. >> mediocre grades+B.S.

ECs aside.

There are also a ton of easy majors like business, art, kinesology, astrophysics, etc. that get accepted.

"easy majors"???? QFT

I went a liberal arts college for undergrad and a BA was all that was given for my Kinesiology degree.

What?? Help me out here? Astro physics an easy major? At first I thought this wasa joke, but even for the scientifically inclined this major is tough, art on the other hand, well.. thats a different story? Explain the hidden irony in this statement please?