B.A. then A.A., can I still apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMT35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently active duty military. The closest school by me is a community college, where I will be going for an A.A. in Applied Science. My B.A. gpa is not very good at all, hence why I am pursing an A.A.

I guess my question is, can I still apply to any D.O. schools, or will the A.A. even help compensate for my low B.A. gpa?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be helpeful to know a few things before making a comment.
- When you say low GPA... how low?
- What subject was your BA in? Was it in a science field? Have you previously taken an pre-req courses?
- Where does your science GPA stand?

Hello,

I am currently active duty military. The closest school by me is a community college, where I will be going for an A.A. in Applied Science. My B.A. gpa is not very good at all, hence why I am pursing an A.A.

I guess my question is, can I still apply to any D.O. schools, or will the A.A. even help compensate for my low B.A. gpa?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I have a B.A. in Liberal Arts, but my GPA is below 3.0. It was focused in Creative Writing, so I have no science classes at all.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Given this info... I don't think you need an AA, but if it helps with getting financial aid or such, then go for it.

It's fine to take the pre-reqs at a CC. Just make sure to ace them. This will definitely help compensate for your lower GPA and hopefully establish a high science GPA.

I have a B.A. in Liberal Arts, but my GPA is below 3.0. It was focused in Creative Writing, so I have no science classes at all.

A sub 3.0 in english isn't terribly impressive. How far below? A 2.88 is vastly different from a 2.2. Even with an A in every course for the 60 credit hours required for an AA, if you have a B- average, you will have a 3.13. The DO average is 3.45, the least competitive have a 3.2 and only 2 or 3 schools are that low. Your chances are poor, save for an exceptional MCAT at this point or a 30+ with a 3.13. Also English isn't a "difficult", why such a low GPA? Some reasons are valid i.e. major recurrent illness, personal issues etc. If it's something you can improve on or deal with that's good. If you worked as hard as you could or it's something you can't change that is not so good.

Given this info... I don't think you need an AA, but if it helps with getting financial aid or such, then go for it.

It's fine to take the pre-reqs at a CC. Just make sure to ace them. This will definitely help compensate for your lower GPA and hopefully establish a high science GPA.

Unfortunatley, I do regret such a low GPA. This was ten years ago before I enlisted, so I do feel I will do much better with the classes now. Thanks for the reply and information. Much appreciated!

Unfortunatley, I do regret such a low GPA. This was ten years ago before I enlisted, so I do feel I will do much better with the classes now. Thanks for the reply and information. Much appreciated!

Without knowing an exact GPA it's difficult to say. Also lacking all sciences and an MCAT make it even more difficult. Consider alternative careers in the health sciences with looser requirements. Podiatry, pharmacy, optometry and PA/NP programs maybe more receptive.

Without knowing an exact GPA it's difficult to say. Also lacking all sciences and an MCAT make it even more difficult. Consider alternative careers in the health sciences with looser requirements. Podiatry, pharmacy, optometry and PA/NP programs maybe more receptive.

Understandable about the GPA. The reason why I am taking on the A.A. in Applied Sciences is to get my science pre-reqs. I have not started taking any classes yet, which is why I am listed as pre-health.

I have no science yet, as I have not taken the MCAT either. I am taking the A.A. to help boost up my GPA, and science GPA.

Understandable about the GPA. The reason why I am taking on the A.A. in Applied Sciences is to get my science pre-reqs. I have not started taking any classes yet, which is why I am listed as pre-health.

I have no science yet, as I have not taken the MCAT either. I am taking the A.A. to help boost up my GPA, and science GPA.

Have you any back up plans? I would strongly consider other careers as at this juncture in time, the odds are not in your favor.

Guess I will have to take my chances then.

While the odds aren't in your favor, its not impossible. I think a two year GPA repair plan is needed no matter what. You need to bring your GPA to about a 3.2 or 3.3 to be competitive and an MCAT score of 25 at least (assuming it is very balaned... 8/8/9).

Guess I will have to take my chances then.

A sub 3.0 in english isn't terribly impressive. How far below? A 2.88 is vastly different from a 2.2. Even with an A in every course for the 60 credit hours required for an AA, if you have a B- average, you will have a 3.13. The DO average is 3.45, the least competitive have a 3.2 and only 2 or 3 schools are that low. Your chances are poor, save for an exceptional MCAT at this point or a 30+ with a 3.13. Also English isn't a "difficult", why such a low GPA? Some reasons are valid i.e. major recurrent illness, personal issues etc. If it's something you can improve on or deal with that's good. If you worked as hard as you could or it's something you can't change that is not so good.
I would be careful on throwing averages like that around since people from a wide range get in. While it is true that a closer to average or above average GPA makes you the best candidate, it doesn't kill your chances being below. As you said, a high MCAT must be in place.

This individual also has the option of going to the Caribbean depending on the specialty they want to pursue.

I would be careful on throwing averages like that around since people from a wide range get in. While it is true that a closer to average or above average GPA makes you the best candidate, it doesn't kill your chances being below.

It is funny how when consulting in medical school admissions many people tend to forget the definition of the word "average" isn't it?

I have another stat: about 50% of those admitted to medical school are "below average" (using the most stringent definition).

It is funny how when consulting in medical school admissions many people tend to forget the definition of the word "average" isn't it?

I have another stat: about 50% of those admitted to medical school are "below average" in one respect or another.

Yes, however the people beneath the 50th percentile tend to be above 3.0. The average overall is a 3.41 with an SD of .33 http://www.aacom.org/about/fastfact...pathic Medical School Applicants 9-1-2009.pdf

He is outside of 1 SD from the mean. The average science is a 3.3 with an SD of .4 and as of yet there is no science GPA. The OP is facing an uphill battle. He has served in the military which is a plus but there are no other softs listed. The OP needs to score at least in the upper 20s, with a 30 probably being the minimum for him to gain admission to a DO school. It would also need to be a balanced score. Going on my advice to the OP is shadow, get all As in your sciences, prep for the MCAT and aim for a 33+ on practice as most people seem to lose 3-4 points between practice and the real test. Target your PS and apply to schools like PCOM which are more holistic in their reviews than others.

Yes, however the people beneath the 50th percentile tend to be above 3.0. The average overall is a 3.41 with an SD of .33 http://www.aacom.org/about/fastfacts/Documents/FastFacts/2009%20Osteopathic%20Medical%20School%20Applicants%209-1-2009.pdf

He is outside of 1 SD from the mean. The average science is a 3.3 with an SD of .4 and as of yet there is no science GPA. The OP is facing an uphill battle. He has served in the military which is a plus but there are no other softs listed. The OP needs to score at least in the upper 20s, with a 30 probably being the minimum for him to gain admission to a DO school. It would also need to be a balanced score. Going on my advice to the OP is shadow, get all As in your sciences, prep for the MCAT and aim for a 33+ on practice as most people seem to lose 3-4 points between practice and the real test. Target your PS and apply to schools like PCOM which are more holistic in their reviews than others.

Its funny how your advice always has a very sour/negative taste... How perfect are you?

As it was mentioned before, many people get in where "others" think only a perfect gpa/mcat can get in. Everyone is different, life might surprise you one of these days buddy ;)

Its funny how your advice always has a very sour/negative taste... How perfect are you?

As it was mentioned before, many people get in where "others" think only a perfect gpa/mcat can get in. Everyone is different, life might surprise you one of these days buddy ;)

Not sour, realistic. When someone has 120 credits of B-, they'd be better off doing retakes under AACOMAS and replacing anything less than a B. This guy has 0 science courses, so no one knows how he will fare in them. I'm not perfect, nor do I expect anyone else to be. However the reality is applicants want to have at leas a 3.0 in sciences and a 3.3 overall coupled with at least an 8/8/8 MCAT. Can you get in with less? Yes. Are your chances good with less than a 3.3, 24? Absolutely.

As I said, I'm not perfect, however I'm in a BS/DO and meeting the requirements, so I really don't have to worry.

Yes, however the people beneath the 50th percentile tend to be above 3.0. The average overall is a 3.41 with an SD of .33 http://www.aacom.org/about/fastfact...pathic Medical School Applicants 9-1-2009.pdf

What is your problem? I have explained, I have not taken ANY science courses as of yet. That is why I am going for a degree. You can spit out numbers all day, but are you a doctor yet? I asked a simple question, not to have averages and numbers in every single one of your replies.

I do have experience in the medical field also, I am a Flight Medic in the Navy. Have had a tour overseas doing exactly that. I appreciate your advice on shadowing, but guess what? I work with DO/MD everyday. Granted I am not prescribing medications or doing major surgical procedures. However, I am getting experience through Sick Call, getting to suture, and other basic level medical stuff.

If this comes across angry, I apologize. All I did was simply ask if getting an A.A. on top of a B.A. would help with my chances. Your posts come across as real snarky, considering you are not even in medical school yet.
Congratulations on being in a BA/DO program, that does not make you an expert however. I know my shortfalls, hence why I am working on that.

I'm not sure about other PA programs, but the ones here in the Chicagoland area have some competitive GPAs. ymmv

OP - good luck to you

That's pretty messed up advice. Getting into an NP program is probably harder (in terms of how many pre-reqs to take) for a non-trad. You need to cover your RN requirements, get your RN, and then go into a 2 year NP program.

The pre-reqs for PA are similar to MD but a few different classes:

100 level General Chemistry (8 credit hours)
100 level Biology (8 credit hours)
100 level College Algebra (3 credit hours) or higher level Math course
200 level Human Anatomy and Physiology (8 credit hours)
200 level Microbiology (3 credit hours)
200 level Organic Chemistry (3 credit hours)
300 level Biochemistry (3 credit hours)
200 level Statistics (3 credit hours)

Other programs (podiatry, OD, etc.) have a number of requirements as well.

ALL programs are competitive to get into. Even if those other schools get less applicants, they also have less schools and more incentive to take better GPA applicants to seem more legitimate.

Lastly, when people want to go to med school, it means they want to be physicians. If you think it is the same as just getting into any field related to medicine, probably medicine is not (yet?) right for you since you haven't researched into detail what you want to do.