B and C in gen chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ricegirl2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I currently attend Rice University and will be a sophomore. I am an athlete and have been told that will help me get into med school....is that true?

Also I received a B first semester in gen chem and a C second semester. Is that bad? Do I still have a chance of getting into med school?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Being an athlete will definitely be a positive on your application. The B and C won't kill your chances to be a doctor by any means, however don't make it a habit. Try and put extra effort into Orgo and get an A there to show that you improved.

Not at my school.

I currently attend Rice University and will be a sophomore. I am an athlete and have been told that will help me get into med school....is that true?

As a one time thing, no. But assuming those are your only science courses to date, a sGPA of 2.5 if carried through to the end of your four years will mean you will need to find another career.

The avg GPA of an MD school matriculant is around 3.6-3.6; for DO schools, it's around 3.4-3.5.

Also I received a B first semester in gen chem and a C second semester. Is that bad? Do I still have a chance of getting into med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I am correct med schools look separately at your science gpa and what should I try to keep that gpa above?

Thanks again for all your help

So if I am correct med schools look separately at your science gpa and what should I try to keep that gpa above?

Thanks again for all your help

At a school like yours it should be at LEAST a 3.3 science GPA, with a 3.5 being about average. Science and cumulative GPA are looked at as different GPAs. Research into this ASAP to make sure you're being smart about your course lineup.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/

Take smart courses early on to get it up, such as Ecology, Stats 1 and 2, Calc 1 and 2, etc. If you're just not good at chem show your strength in bio, physics and math. Organic chem is hard, you should try cracking open the book and getting through the first few chapters before the semester starts.