[b]how Close Are Aamc Score Conversions To Real Thing?[/b]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingsfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think that the AAMC practice test score conversions are close to the real score conversion? I keep tryin to think how many i missed on april's mcat, but I get this feeling that the real score conversion doesn't follow what the practice tests indicate. Does anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Theres no way of knowing, but I hope that the scales are not as strict on the real deal. :oops:

kingsfan said:
Do you guys think that the AAMC practice test score conversions are close to the real score conversion? I keep tryin to think how many i missed on april's mcat, but I get this feeling that the real score conversion doesn't follow what the practice tests indicate. Does anyone have any ideas?

Its all on a bell curve ...So you have to be smarter than other people taking the tests. That being sad..there probbably is no concrete way of knowing....You will not even know what percentage you got right for each section in the end...only how you faired in the pool of tests takers..So the real question do you think you were smarter than the guy siiting next to you?? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
It must also be kept in mind that the scales that are posted represent an average across all forms, where as it is possible there could be some sway between forms and perhaps a few outliers as well. That being said, I do think that for the most part the scales coincide with actual scores.

BrettBatchelor said:
I think they should be fairly close. If you look at all of the scales you will see at most 2-3 question differential.

But...the practice tests are I would guess a combination of all of the tests that were given. I took Aug exam (25) and when I took AAMC 9 it didnt look really familar...I ended up getting a 32 on that one. Therefore, the test CJ or QJ or whatever are scaled against each other..then put together in a practice format.. I dont know if I would trust the AAMC scaled score to be a an accurate reflection of how you did on test day...

doc G said:
But...the practice tests are I would guess a combination of all of the tests that were given. I took Aug exam (25) and when I took AAMC 9 it didnt look really familar...I ended up getting a 32 on that one. Therefore, the test CJ or QJ or whatever are scaled against each other..then put together in a practice format.. I dont know if I would trust the AAMC scaled score to be a an accurate reflection of how you did on test day...
Well...I am led to believe that it was one of the numerous forms. Depending on the sample size I think the scaled chart could be pretty close.

I wouldn't be expecting a 15 in verbal missing 10.

I'm saying just look at all of them. 7 tests with a small plus minus in questions would lead me to believe that the regular scale would be within the margin.

Too bad this debate will never be proven.

BrettBatchelor said:
Well...I am led to believe that it was one of the numerous forms. Depending on the sample size I think the scaled chart could be pretty close.

I wouldn't be expecting a 15 in verbal missing 10.

I'm saying just look at all of them. 7 tests with a small plus minus in questions would lead me to believe that the regular scale would be within the margin.

Too bad this debate will never be proven.

Yeah..it really does not matter now..we took the test..scores will be here in a few days ....life will continue on and we will forget this thread soon after. I hope everyone does well whatever the case may be. :oops: :oops:

The AAMC tests were not full lengths, they were random passages patched together

doc G said:
Yeah..it really does not matter now..we took the test..scores will be here in a few days ....life will continue on and we will forget this thread soon after. I hope everyone does well whatever the case may be. :oops: :oops:

acrobat said:
The AAMC tests were not full lengths, they were random passages patched together

That what i was getting at ... :rolleyes:

So the real question do you think you were smarter than the guy siiting next to you?? :smuggrin:[/QUOTE]

If that's the case I should get at least a 40. I had a guy in my right that was taking it a second time. The first time he got something like a 20. The girl to the left was taking it the first time, but she was applying to the caribean schools. She said that she really does not care what score she gets. The schools down there only want the applicant to have taken the MCAT. She said that if she got 20 she would be happy.
Given that info alone, i should get a 40, chances are I would be extremely blessed with a 30.

onmywayRN said:
So the real question do you think you were smarter than the guy siiting next to you?? :smuggrin:

If that's the case I should get at least a 40. I had a guy in my right that was taking it a second time. The first time he got something like a 20. The girl to the left was taking it the first time, but she was applying to the caribean schools. She said that she really does not care what score she gets. The schools down there only want the applicant to have taken the MCAT. She said that if she got 20 she would be happy.
Given that info alone, i should get a 40, chances are I would be extremely blessed with a 30.[/QUOTE]

Well...I gues i should have said look around the room...because you did not mention the guy sitting in the corner with that wild hair, that loves nothing more than to work phy problems in his head :laugh: