B+ in O-chem during low credit-hour semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tms01234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sound like the typical neurotic pre-med. I know and I'm sorry, but this is bothering me...

I only took 12 credit hours this semester because I worked at two tutoring jobs and as a research assistant, not really leaving me much time and flexibility to take more credits. I took two other classes that weren't really that hard (sociology and developmental psychology), but work was pretty stressful this semester. To be honest Orgo was not really that bad and I worked really hard in that class...but I didn't do too great on the final (got a C). I am just wondering if adcoms see that I only took 12 credits that semester and made a B+ in Orgo it'll look bad? I go to a low-tier public state university by the way; a B+ could seem like a low grade. Any answers or info would be great, thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I sound like the typical neurotic pre-med. I know and I'm sorry, but this is bothering me...

I only took 12 credit hours this semester because I worked at two tutoring jobs and as a research assistant, not really leaving me much time and flexibility to take more credits. I took two other classes that weren't really that hard (sociology and developmental psychology), but work was pretty stressful this semester. To be honest Orgo was not really that bad and I worked really hard in that class...but I didn't do too great on the final (got a C). I am just wondering if adcoms see that I only took 12 credits that semester and made a B+ in Orgo it'll look bad? I go to a low-tier public state university by the way; a B+ could seem like a low grade. Any answers or info would be great, thanks :)
Relax. You are fine, a B+ is not a low grade and shouldn't keep you out of medical school no matter what school you are attending. Assuming you have done well in the past and will continue to do well, I doubt anyone would notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
No just rock Orgo 2.

Just talked to my adcom friend. He told me that is a typical run of the mill rejection pattern. Your better off giving up and going to be a McDonalds worker.

Reactions: 4 users
Lots of successful applicants on this forum have transcripts riddled with Cs and Fs, so chill out. However, if your job begins to really impede your academic performance and it is not critical to your survival, you may need to quit in order to dedicate the proper amount of time to your schoolwork. Good luck!

You sound like you really need to asses the priorities in your life. Adcoms aren't going to look at anything less than a 4.2 gpa. Step up or get out.

Reactions: 1 user
Adcomms like to see you carry a heavy load and still be successful. That load need not be entirely academic. So long as you were busy with other things, a 12 credit hour semester won't "look bad."

Adcomms will see a summary of your cGPA and BCPM GPA listed year-by-year, not semester by semester, so a strong spring term will moderate the hit on your GPAs. I agree with the above that a B+ in OChem I is nothing to be ashamed of.