B in Orgo okay? Goes against what I have heard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Granted most pre-meds are neurotic and say that an A in Orgo is more important than an A in any other pre-req, but I am wondering what level headed pre-meds think? Are B's in Orgo 1 and 2 okay if your other pre-requisites are solid A's like Phys 1&2, Bio1&2, Chem 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you think we could find level headed premeds?

It is not likely a medical school will overlook you because of a B in Ochem. However, it is good practice to try to get A's in all of your classes.

Well the majority of people in Orgo1 and 2 are premeds, right? And yes, it is a weed out class, so some people who dont do well will not go on to apply. But how many A's does your college give out? If its like mine and around 10-15%, do you really think that the other 85% dont end up applying/getting in? I know someone who got C+s in both 1 and 2, and is still managing to interview pretty widely due to her otherwise good gpa and mcat score. So you will be perfectly fine with a B, just dont let that become a trend. Lots of B's and C's = not okay. A B or C in Orgo = just make sure you know the material well enough to kick the MCAT's ass. Also SDN can be a little weighted towards hysteria...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a C+ and a C in orgo 1 and 2 and a C- and C+ in general physics. Got an interview with US allo school this semester. I have special circumstances to explain the grades but its still a huge red flag. So take it from me, its possible.

During one of my interviews the interviewer discussed my Organic chemistry and Biochemistry grades. He asked me why I got a B in Organic chemistry 2 and Biochemistry after getting an A in Organic chemistry 1. So, I think it does matter to them some what. They are obviously aware that Organic is the "weed out" class so if you perform poorly they will notice it. With that being said I think a B is fine, it should not be a problem at all as long as you are performing well in other classes and have an upward trend. Ideally though I would say an A in Organic Chem and or Biochemistry looks very good because it shows how you can absorb dense amounts of new information.

I would think that your overall science gpa and mcat are more important than each grade individually, but I'm just a premed as well so yeah.

I would think that your overall science gpa and mcat are more important than each grade individually, but I'm just a premed as well so yeah.

I don't see why B's in Orgo would matter if your sGPA is north of a 3.7 and your MCAT is north of a 30. I am not trying to win the Nobel prize for medicine. I just want to get into an allopathic medical school, SOMEWHERE. I want to be a solid, trusted practitioner in the trenches, which means I don't have to go to a top 20 research school.

I don't see why B's in Orgo would matter if your sGPA is north of a 3.7 and your MCAT is north of a 30. I am not trying to win the Nobel prize for medicine. I just want to get into an allopathic medical school, SOMEWHERE. I want to be a solid, trusted practitioner in the trenches, which means I don't have to go to a top 20 research school.

:thumbup:

I have a friend who received a C his first semester and a B- his second semester. He currently has 12 interviews to allo US, that's about 33% of the schools he applied to. I'd say about 80% of them are top 20 in the US and also a few ivy.

However with this said, he is URM. He also played NCAA waterpolo and he beasted the MCAT.

I had a C+ and a B- in Orgo and still got into med school. Just rehearse a good answer when it gets brought up at an interview (which it will).

Granted most pre-meds are neurotic and say that an A in Orgo is more important than an A in any other pre-req, but I am wondering what level headed pre-meds think? Are B's in Orgo 1 and 2 okay if your other pre-requisites are solid A's like Phys 1&2, Bio1&2, Chem 1.

You will be fine. A couple Bs really are not that bad. Keep your head up and keep on keeping on.

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple Bs in pre-reqs won't sink your med school application. In general, if your GPA and MCAT are solid, then you'll be fine.

And do interviewers really bring up individual grades in interviews? That seems strange to me. Wouldn't they be more interested in talking about your ECs, why you want to be a doc, other stuff instead? I just assume it's expected to get a couple non-As in undergrad and thus it's not that important to bring up.

A B won't kill you lol. There are people who have upward trends in their gpa that I am sure did not do too stellar in their pre-reqs.. thus the upward trend...

If you have Mostly A's a few B's here and there won't hurt you. You're fine you didn't get a C :).

Well the majority of people in Orgo1 and 2 are premeds, right? And yes, it is a weed out class, so some people who dont do well will not go on to apply. But how many A's does your college give out? If its like mine and around 10-15%, do you really think that the other 85% dont end up applying/getting in? I know someone who got C+s in both 1 and 2, and is still managing to interview pretty widely due to her otherwise good gpa and mcat score. So you will be perfectly fine with a B, just dont let that become a trend. Lots of B's and C's = not okay. A B or C in Orgo = just make sure you know the material well enough to kick the MCAT's ass. Also SDN can be a little weighted towards hysteria...

My GPA is mediocre, my MCAT score is great and my orgo 1 and 2 marks were C's.

I've gotten 6 interview invites. So... orgo as a weed out? Maybe for some schools, but I doubt it. One B isn't the end of the world.

^ but your MDapps is Bo$$ though when I saw it.

Congrats on post 777.

Lol it's just a nice MCAT score... the rest of it, GPA is brutal.

Yeah but your EC's were pretty nice too and you had a really unique situation.

I'll be sure to congratulate you when your post count is over 9000! :D

A couple Bs in pre-reqs won't sink your med school application. In general, if your GPA and MCAT are solid, then you'll be fine.

And do interviewers really bring up individual grades in interviews? That seems strange to me. Wouldn't they be more interested in talking about your ECs, why you want to be a doc, other stuff instead? I just assume it's expected to get a couple non-As in undergrad and thus it's not that important to bring up.

Yes, they do bring up individual grades. B's - no one cares. C's and below - yes, definitely. Talking about ECs and reason for medicine doesn't preclude talking about your academic track record.

Anyone with large divergent grade from their baseline should be prepared to talk about them, just as they should be prepared to talk about their passion for medicine. If someone skims your transcript, that one C will show up very easily in the sea of A's. It's a free gimme question, if you're just prepared

Same here! :thumbup:

Calm down. I made a B in orgo 1 and a C (gasp!) in orgo 2, along with a whole string of B's here and there, and I still got in to a top 25 (even with a low 30's MCAT). You guys need to remember, no one thing will make or break you.

LoL, post count 9000... wowz.

I am an internetz SDN *****. We will see what happens when acceptances start rolling out...

Your post count will be over 9000! Sorry Couldn't resist.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik[/YOUTUBE]

I have never opened my Ochem textbook.

All A's.. Well, maybe one A-.

UCSD has some damn good Ochem profs.

You're lucky you didn't get a B- in orgo. I hear life literally ends after getting a B-. everything just goes blank and life just stops.

I have never opened my Ochem textbook.

All A's.. Well, maybe one A-.

UCSD has some damn good Ochem profs.

I'm reading my Ochem text almos every day for 1-2 hours, and that doesn't include HW! :(

B- in Orgo, and my prereqs were similar. Still got 8 interview invites. Maybe they're not the best schools but I'm happy where I ended up. Then again I also did well senior year.

Where do you think we could find level headed premeds?

It is not likely a medical school will overlook you because of a B in Ochem. However, it is good practice to try to get A's in all of your classes.

I completely agree with this. :cool:

It's NOT okay. I am so sorry to tell you that, but it's true, it's definitely really bad.:(

It's NOT okay. I am so sorry to tell you that, but it's true, it's definitely really bad.:(

Is it Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome bad or just Meckel's Diverticulum bad? :)

But yeah, like I said, OP in all seriousness, it's bad. I got a B on my OChem course, and I was accepted all right. But the admissions committee had a condition; after I graduate from med school, I had to enroll in the undergraduate program here and retake the OChem and make an A. Otherwise, I lose my medical degree.

Like I said, make sure you consider all options with the admissions committee, and if they flat-out reject you, make a suggestion that you are willing to retake the class after graduating from medical school.

Best of luck!

but yeah, like i said, op, it's bad. I got a b on my ochem course, and i was accepted all right. But the admissions committee had a condition; after i graduate from med school, i had to enroll in the undergraduate program here and retake the ochem and make an a. Otherwise, i lose my medical degree.

Like i said, make sure you consider all options with the admissions committee, and if they flat-out reject you, make a suggestion that you are willing to retake the class after graduating from medical school.

Best of luck!
0/10

But yeah, like I said, OP in all seriousness, it's bad. I got a B on my OChem course, and I was accepted all right. But the admissions committee had a condition; after I graduate from med school, I had to enroll in the undergraduate program here and retake the OChem and make an A. Otherwise, I lose my medical degree.

Like I said, make sure you consider all options with the admissions committee, and if they flat-out reject you, make a suggestion that you are willing to retake the class after graduating from medical school.

Best of luck!

That seems a little harsh. You think you can make an A? :cool:

Best of luck!

That's just mean.