[B]Naturopath... Osteopath?[/B]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suzie4399

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be the worst question ever... But what is the difference between a Naturopathic Doctor (that's what they are called in Canada) and an Osteopathic Doctor (in the USA)?

Members don't see this ad.

suzie4399 said:
This may be the worst question ever... But what is the difference between a Naturopathic Doctor (that's what they are called in Canada) and an Osteopathic Doctor (in the USA)?
I agree... I can't really think many similarities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Suzie, as one of the resident Canadians on SDN that is going to attend a DO program. I will tell you that in Canada a DO = MD (In Ontario, BC, Alberta, Quebec, and NB)

You can come back and work in Canada as a primary care physician (FP, EM, Ped, and maybe IM depending on region). If you do a specialty in US - ACGME (an MD residency) and get recognized in your specialty (college of ______) you should be able to get recognized in Canadian college of ______)

docbill said:
Suzie, as one of the resident Canadians on SDN that is going to attend a DO program. I will tell you that in Canada a DO = MD (In Ontario, BC, Alberta, Quebec, and NB)

You can come back and work in Canada as a primary care physician (FP, EM, Ped, and maybe IM depending on region). If you do a specialty in US - ACGME (an MD residency) and get recognized in your specialty (college of ______) you should be able to get recognized in Canadian college of ______)
That's interesting... what happens if the DO does specialty training at a AOA hospital?

Nothing.. you can't get licensed in the great north. You stay in the states and practice there.

docbill said:
Nothing.. you can't get licensed in the great north. You stay in the states and practice there.
That's quite a surprise that Canada doesn't recognize AOA training facilities. Not like I was planning to ever move to Canada, but the principle sucks. :thumbdown:

docbill said:

Docbill, are you sure that's true? The AOA International Licensing .pdf I posted in the stickies specifically says "AOA or ACGME" training. Is a newer document around so I can post it? Thanks!

I was told by DOs in Canada to make sure I do an ACGME resident and not an AOA resident. I guess in reality you may be able to get license with AOA residency. The problem is for example: the college of Physician (AMA) is recognized equivalent by the royal college of physician up here. If you do AOA you may have to get things evaluated.

Plus at one time or another I got an email with this information from one of these provinces. I will let you know if I find any letters for you to post.

Also note that in Ontario. The comlex is recognized and may be used, rather then having to write the canadian exams.

What is the pay range for Canadian docs?

depending on province and specialty. FP about 150$-220$k before overhead etc...

Just thinking out loud: any particular DO programs with a naturopathic leaning? e.g. integrative medicine? I have a good handle on allopath with my PA education. Always have been interested in natural medicine as an adjunct to my practice but no way I'm going to take the wild leap across the chasm to ND.
???
Lisa

Does anyone know where Saskatchewan falls in regards to DOs? My game plan is to obtain a peds residency... then sub-specialize in oncology... Do you guys think this is attainable?
I kind of dug myself into a hole when I came down to the USA on softball scholarship... I'm not a resident of any of the states I did undergrad in, and Saskatchewan is picky because I did my pre-reqs out of country... So I'm looking at taking the DO route.

docbill: What year are you in at UNECOM? I'm looking at that school... Do you like it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Suzie,

Sorry to say but you ended up to be from one of the worst provinces.
You may want to contact them to see if they changed their rules and regulations.

UNECOM is very Canadian friendly, like most private schools. I am due to start in Aug.06. I had to delay for one year to finish my grad school.

PS. I am surprised the USask won't recognize your pre-req. you may want to apply to undergrad. That is to register for a second undergrad degree. In return they will evaluate your US courses and tell you what 2 years worth of classes with equal to at USask.. Meaning US Bio101 with equal USask Bio100 etc...

good luck

Saskatchewan

Scope of Practice: limited to OMM
Requirements: Must have completed at least 1 year of AOA-approved GME.

211 Fourth Avenue South
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7K 1N1
CANADA
(306) 244-7355
www.quadrant.net/cpss

OSUdoc08 said:
Why would you want to live in Canada anyway?

i'd rather live in canada than texas, and if i didn't have family in oklahoma, i'd pick canada over oklahoma in a heart beat. ever been to vancouver? it's one of the most beautiful cities i've ever seen.

thanks, docbill, for your info. we're your typical liberal urbanites who always have our eye on a possible move to canada if things get really bad down here. so, going do is okay, but it's probably best to do an allopathic residency. good things to know.

exlawgrrl said:
.... but it's probably best to do an allopathic residency. good things to know.

hi exlawgrrl, yeah.. I am actually from Vancouver. It is beautiful place. I will try to attach some links to pics and see if that works.

rg_ip_013_vancouver_bc.jpg

vancouver.JPG

Then there is beautiful Calgary and Rocky Mountains.

Calgary.gif

and Banff

Banff.jpg

Ohhh yeahhh and Montreal and QUebec

montreal_skyline_water.jpg

a_0455.jpg

114-Mont-BridgeQB11.jpg

quebec_city.jpg

photo-quecity-2.jpg

Toronto is okay as well!!!! Niagra!!! etc...

aerialview-toronto-islands1.jpg

skyline.jpg

2604inJuly.jpg

exlawgrrl said:
i'd rather live in canada than texas, and if i didn't have family in oklahoma, i'd pick canada over oklahoma in a heart beat. ever been to vancouver? it's one of the most beautiful cities i've ever seen.

thanks, docbill, for your info. we're your typical liberal urbanites who always have our eye on a possible move to canada if things get really bad down here. so, going do is okay, but it's probably best to do an allopathic residency. good things to know.

Right on! I'm more conservative than anything and wouldn't leave the country for political reasons, but my wife is Canadian and Canada is a beautiful country. I would move there in a heart beat! Toronto is one of the best cities I have ever been in my life. I would live in Canada WAY before Oklahoma or Texas if I could at this point in my life.

docbill said:
Toronto is okay as well!!!! Niagra!!! etc...

Thanks for the awesome pics docbill!! :)

…..can't study…. Must find more pictures of Canada….. so pretty… :thumbup:

docbill, you're making me want to sing "o, canada." :) beautiful, beautiful pics. dh and i are going to have to go to vancouver again soon. calgary doesn't look too bad, either. i'd love to go to montreal, too, and i'd really, really love to visit prince edward island since i loved the anne of green gables books when i was a kid. if i wind up at unecom, i'll definitely check that out. :)

Just for you!!! PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND

PEI-2.jpg

12a.jpg

french_river.jpg

8995.jpg

NewFoundland and New Brunswick

daves1.jpg

Canada-Newfoundland-Labrador-Eastern-NF-EastNF-5.jpg

Reversing%20Falls%20New%20Brunswick.jpg

cara1.jpg

Downea4.jpg

No pics of Saskatchewan? Booooooo! I know we're kinda flat and boring, but :(