[B]Need advice on applying to medschools![/B]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I took the April test and got only 20 :( (VR3, BS7, PS11) but my GPA is high: 3.95. I have done many activities to make me a well rounded individual for Med school, however my MCAT score has been bugging me for the past few weeks, I am not sure if I should apply to any MD schools with my profile, and/or should I apply to carrebean schools like Ross!? I am not interested in DO. please tell me what you think I should do!
thanks a bunch! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Caribbean is going to be your (probably) only option for MD at this exact moment. The odds of getting in stateside with a 20 are almost non-existant. I highly recommend retaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you get a 3.9? How are your other standardized tests? Do you have a disability that is affecting your test taking ability?

I'm applying to med school for the 3rd time...but after finishing my PhD which followed my masters. I got waitlisted for 2 years in a row while working on my masters and didn't want the schools to know about my dyslexia, but now I'm paying potentially more than my first car to get proper testing to qualify to take the MCAT untimed (for the 4th time) but honestly I wouldn't retake it if my old scores hadn't expired...my best was a 28. I went from a 24 to a 28 with a Kaplan class. I'm 30 and I think you should definitely not apply with a 20. You have about a fat chance in hell. I work for a professor in the medical school and my boyfriend is starting his residency tomorrow morning. The MCAT is more about studying and studying your ass off than intelligence. I have a serious handicap and now think that it won't hurt me in the slightest. There's little sigma about learning disabilities...Einstein is the world's most famous dyslexic...but there was a huge stigma when I was applying to college a decade ago. But, unless you have a similar problem, you need to give up your social life for a few months, invest in some serious tutoring and study guidelines and get a lab job for a year (another good recommendation) preferrably IN A MED SCHOOL.

My opinions, obviously. But I've been around the block.

Good Luck 3.95!

a) Take a prep course or read some books on test taking strategies (I recommend ExamKrackers), change your testing techniques, and register for the August MCAT. If things don’t improve in terms of score, apply for school in either the Caribbean or Mexico. I know of at least one Doctor who currently practices in the US who attended a Caribbean school. How many times have you asked your doctor where he went to school?

b) Apply directly to a foreign school.

apply and retake the aug mcat, i think you have a slight chance, i mean if you look at msar they have taken many people yeah probably less than 200 people with a score lower than 20 here in us med schools. i mean somebody is getting in with scores of 17, 18, 19, 20, etcetera, not many, but some... how can people tell you you cant get in..look at the stats..yeah the odds might be stacked against you--welcome to life

and by the way verbal does not have anything to do with knowing how to read english, it has more to do with how much you have assimilated to the backward western logic-go figure. reason like the anglos (makes sense why they have the highest scores) come on don't be fooled by these mediocre minds on sdn....sub blah

LiveLife said:
Hi everyone

I took the April test and got only 20 :( (VR3, BS7, PS11) but my GPA is high: 3.95. I have done many activities to make me a well rounded individual for Med school, however my MCAT score has been bugging me for the past few weeks, I am not sure if I should apply to any MD schools with my profile, and/or should I apply to carrebean schools like Ross!? I am not interested in DO. please tell me what you think I should do!
thanks a bunch! :)

your verbal needs a little work. READ READ READ! anything and everything from harry potter to the wealth of nations to books on grammar and word games.

Mr PluM said:
and by the way verbal does not have anything to do with knowing how to read english, it has more to do with how much you have assimilated to the backward western logic-go figure. reason like the anglos (makes sense why they have the highest scores) come on don't be fooled by these mediocre minds on sdn....sub blah

Newsflash!!! A test of reading skills doesn't test reading! Gold Star to you for uncovering the conspiracy

Mr PluM said:
apply and retake the aug mcat, i think you have a slight chance, i mean if you look at msar they have taken many people yeah probably less than 200 people with a score lower than 20 here in us med schools. i mean somebody is getting in with scores of 17, 18, 19, 20, etcetera, not many, but some... how can people tell you you cant get in..look at the stats..yeah the odds might be stacked against you--welcome to life

thank you all for your input, I was wondering if you know the exact URL to the msar article regarding low score aplicants who got accepted.
thanks

LiveLife said:
thank you all for your input, I was wondering if you know the exact URL to the msar article regarding low score aplicants who got accepted.
thanks

look for any medical school admission requirements (msar) book in any medical library, for the most recent, you will have to buy it off the aamc, but it really doesn't change much so you are good to go by looking into the 2005-2006, i believe the one they released this year is 2006-2007.. don't give the aamc bandits more money than you have tooo, the med business conscious folks realize that premeds are doedoes and are willing to buy anything they publish, and like sheep everyone goes buy them, so just check out the curves in the 2005-2006 and you will see that people get in with very low numbers, everyone has a story to tell, if you tell it well and are sincere about it you have a good chance..

the mcat is suppose to predict whether you make it through medical school, but that is all bogus, it makes sense logically, but ignore that crap ...i know of plenty of students that did horrible on it got and into some very great schools and now are at the top of their class and going into great residencies...i also know of students who did very good on it and are all doped up, hooked on meds, some drop out of med school because it was not their calling...

go for it you never know what could happen....

idq1i said:
Newsflash!!! A test of reading skills doesn't test reading! Gold Star to you for uncovering the conspiracy

!warning, sheep crossing road with hollow head, warning!

Doesn't 3 + 7 + 11 = 21?

andiluvsk said:
Doesn't 3 + 7 + 11 = 21?

:laugh: can't believe i didn't notice that. good catch.

andiluvsk said:
Doesn't 3 + 7 + 11 = 21?

woops ... you are right, i had a 10 on PS, thanks for that .