B.S in Science Education/Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dablest1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...I have been lurking here for a while now, and decided to post. So I have a question for you and I hope someone is able to help. I have ALWAYS had an interest in pharmacy and in the meantime I am working towards a B.S Degree in Science Education with emphasis in Chemistry. Do you think this will fulfill my pre-reqs in getting into a Pharm D program?? (I've always had mad love for teaching as well, and figured that I might as well get my Teacher Cert along the way as a back-up plan). :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone...I have been lurking here for a while now, and decided to post. So I have a question for you and I hope someone is able to help. I have ALWAYS had an interest in pharmacy and in the meantime I am working towards a B.S Degree in Science Education with emphasis in Chemistry. Do you think this will fulfill my pre-reqs in getting into a Pharm D program?? (I've always had mad love for teaching as well, and figured that I might as well get my Teacher Cert along the way as a back-up plan). :p

I am working on B.S in biochemistry/chemistry - not BS - in science education. But those do not satisfy all pre-reqs, quite the opposite only the chemistry portion. You only need organic and general chemistry + labs for pharmacy school - on the contrary you need a million of biology classes - besides general bio - microbio + lab, cell bio, molecular bio, genetics, physiology with lab, anatomy with lab. The best degree for pre-pharmacy in BS in some kind of biology - chemistry degrees even though are way more challenging to get seem to provide no benefit except the fact that you may take upper division chemistry classes that are taught in pharm schools - pchem, medicinal chem and test out of them.

I am working on B.S in biochemistry/chemistry - not BS - in science education. But those do not satisfy all pre-reqs, quite the opposite only the chemistry portion. You only need organic and general chemistry + labs for pharmacy school - on the contrary you need a million of biology classes - besides general bio - microbio + lab, cell bio, molecular bio, genetics, physiology with lab, anatomy with lab. The best degree for pre-pharmacy in BS in some kind of biology - chemistry degrees even though are way more challenging to get seem to provide no benefit except the fact that you may take upper division chemistry classes that are taught in pharm schools - pchem, medicinal chem and test out of them.

So do you think I should take a lot of Biology classes as well???? I just want to make sure I have all the pre-reqs classes I need for pharm school! A friend of mine told me to switch to being a Bio-Chem major and just minor in Teaching to get my Teacher's Cert. Maybe I will do that instead since I feel that doing that will guarantee that I fulfill my pre-reqs...

Members don't see this ad :)
So I really want to be a pharmacist but I'm really confused! Would it be okay to go to Sierra College (community) then transfer to California Northstate University College of Pharmacy? I don't understand why everyone says don't go to CC. Pharmacists make bannkk, I've always been interested in medicine and helping people so I think this career choice is good. Need help!!

Well...the diff b/t CC and a University is that typically the profs will be a bit better at a university then at a CC. Also making a 4.0 at a CC does not equate to a 4.0 at a reputable University and in a situation where you are competing against others you want to handicap yourself as little as possible. Go get some experience in pharmacy, get good grades, and then apply. The process is pretty simple. In reality because the process is so simple it really does not weed many people out of wanting to go with it. If you start a BS in Chem, then by time you reach into upper level chemistry courses you will definitely know if you like Chem or not...same with Bio. Thus you can still swap majors within reason and not lose a ton of time. With Pharmacy unless you really get some experience you will have no idea what you are getting into until you are 50k+ in debt...

Either way I doubt you "Really" want to do anything. Unless you have actually gotten experience in life how can you know what you want to do? Maybe you read some article that made everything sound really cool and easy. Maybe you took A & P and Bio and really liked those courses...This does not equate to really wanting to be a pharmacist. Am I saying you will not enjoy pharmacy? No..I am just saying that if you are just turning 18/graduating HS, then you probably do not have realistic enough experiences to judge what you want to spend the next 50+ years doing.

Go to college and explore some different courses, talk to professors, talk to other students about why they are doing what they are doing, enjoy having very little responsibility, and just learn about yourself. Your professors have connections and if you connect well with them you can learn a lot about different fields and experiences they have had. I would say they are there to mentor you, but at some universities they are just there for research. Though I am sure you can find the ones who really are there to help you learn. Connect with them...you never know what doors can be opened that you never dreamed of.

I say this because it seems like a lot of people who come here seem to have some little plan of how they will be in pharm. school 24 months after graduating HS. It just seems like tunnel vision to me, as you just lock on to some random dream and go all out on it. Clearly you are not incompetent and have some drive to do something with your life, as you have taken the time to do some research and are asking questions about guidance. I just say that you should look at all possible options you have before picking one and racing to the finish line. Cause it aint cheap to become a pharmacist. How sweet would it be to hate being a pharmacist and all you have is 2 years of undergrad courses to fall back on?