B.S.M Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tackett26

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I just wanted to ask a quick question. Do any of you guys know what a B.S.M. is? I was just wondering. I was reading an article about this guy and it appears that he got his B.S.M. from Duke University School of Medicine and then his M.D. a year latter (from the same school). I've tried Google, I've tried the Duke web page, and haven't found anything.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

:p
bachelor of science in medicine ?? (maybe some kind of combined 7 year BS/MD program that gets you a bachelors in medicine after 6 years??)

I thought that's what it might be, but I wasn't sure. That maybe the case. I'm just not used to running into degrees that I've never heard of :p

Members don't see this ad :)
BSM = Bachelor of Science in Medicine

from britain and commonwealth nation

So that guy got his degree from outside US and moved to US. So he got MD after licensing exam.

BSM = Bachelor of Science in Medicine

from britain and commonwealth nation

So that guy got his degree from outside US and moved to US. So he got MD after licensing exam.

The paper said he got both of them from Duke University, but I guess they could have been mistaken.

Though the idea of getting an undergrad and doctoral degree at the same time (or in his case 1 year apart) is kinda cool I think.

Still very wierd.

The paper said he got both of them from Duke University, but I guess they could have been mistaken.

Though the idea of getting an undergrad and doctoral degree at the same time (or in his case 1 year apart) is kinda cool I think.

Still very wierd.

There are actually a lot of 6 and 7 year BS/MD programs in the US. Lower ranked medical schools use them to recruit realy top notch students who would have otherwise probably ended up at somewhere like Hopkins. I didn't know Duke had one, though.

some schools like ucsf will take u half way thru undergrad and give u a bachelors

There are actually a lot of 6 and 7 year BS/MD programs in the US. Lower ranked medical schools use them to recruit realy top notch students who would have otherwise probably ended up at somewhere like Hopkins. I didn't know Duke had one, though.

Yeah, though this guy graduated in the lat 1950's and there is no info on it on their current web page so I don't know if they still have the program or not.

I don't know if there was a similar program at duke, but about 30-40 years ago at my school, only a 2 year degree was offered. Students then would have to transfer to another medical school to finish their degree.

Still very wierd.

I think he got his MD from Duke

perhaps there is a Duke in another country?

No clue. If it helps the guy was the author is in the virology dept at a US med school now.