B.S./M.S. program VS "informal" post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikejungle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering two paths for med school, one being a B.S./M.S. program offered by UCSD, and the other being to just continue with graduation in the spring and spend a year taking extension courses in order to show schools that I've "changed".

I have quite a low cumulative and an even more deplorable GPA at about 3.0 and 2.8, respectively. My issue was that I had ADD and didn't really figure it out until late late in my college career. Since diagnosis, I've had a slow improvement. I used to get C's, D's, and F's, but have managed to maintain steady B's and A's. I know this is not great enough, but I plan on aiming for straight A's.

Can you guys advise which path is more advisable? I've heard arguments for both, saying that grad school is so variable that most schools won't consider them seriously, while other say that grad school GPA is counted by some schools as a sort of "second chance".

So I guess I'm asking which is my better "second chance"?

The PI (an MD on the medical school campus) in my lab really likes me and has seen a change in me and has been rooting me because he sees me working hard, so I think I can do this, unless you guys deem it statistically "impossible".

I plan on applying next summer with some more clinical volunteer hours under my belt and a hopefully >30 MCAT.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

I did a masters and think that pathway is great. Your GPA is low (although not deplorable) and just taking a few "ala carte" classes may take longer than you anticipate to get that GPA up. Look for traditional science based masters programs....and some SMPs if you take the mcat and do really well. A SMP may be a long shot with a 3.0 but you never know. Adcoms def care about graduate work. DO schools moreso than MDs in my experience. You just have to do well....REALLY well, or else its pointless. Good luck! Dont give up. I was accepted with an undergrad GPA .50 points lower than yours...so it can be done!

Ah. really? That's hopeful information.

can you elaborate on what an SMP is? Would the B.S./M.S. at UCSD be considered an SMP? I am currently involved in an immunology lab at the UCSD Medical School campus. Even if i don't do the program, I believe I will be the 2nd author for a paper as I have had much involvement. The rest of the program only includes 3 classes over 3 quarters, so it's sort of...a joke? My friend who has interviewed with several schools said that they were much more impressed with his clinical volunteer work than his research and graduate work.

Members don't see this ad :)
The SMP at UCSD is NOT an SMP. However, I highly recommend it. It is only 1 year, it includes research and publishing, and it gives you an advanced degree.

SMP's are special master's programs (usually with a GPA cutoff of 3.0 for acceptance) that lets you take some classes together with med school students. It is basically an audition for medical school. They are typically 2 years, but some are 1 year.

There's nothing wrong with doing the UCSD BS/MS and then doing an SMP. Your cumulative GPA is low, so you probably won't get into an SMP this year. I suggest you spend a year in the BS/MS, get some valuable research experience and extracurriculars, publish, and then applying to SMP's concurrently with applying to med schools.

Besides, an extra year = more LoRs from PI's, etc.

Ah, so an SMP is sort of like a PBac, but maybe a closer indication to schools of forthcoming performance in med school?

but would you really suggest i do the BS/MS instead of taking an extra year of extension courses? Or should I try to apply for an SMP this year?

Did you see the part about the 3.0 GPA cutoff? Lol.

Fellow UCSD student here as well. Here is a link about the integrated BS/MS program. http://biology.ucsd.edu/undergrad/int_bsms.html

Eligible students will have a GPA of at least 3.3 in their major (upper-division courses only) and a 3.0 overall UC GPA. Students must demonstrate excellent performance in upper-division biology core courses during their undergraduate program to be eligible to enroll in biology graduate core courses.

It will probably be difficult for you to get into the integrated program but perhaps there is a way around it?

Hey Rich, I know the cutoffs, but as I mentioned, the PI really likes me and he's pulled some strings for me, so as long as I maintain straight A's for my remaining quarters, I will be granted admission into the program if I choose to.

And to Morsetlis, right, I forgot. I'm guessing that 3.0 cutoff applies to the science GPA also?

Also, is there a formal degree for SMP's?

these questions would be better addressed in the postbac forum, most likely. I think this program would help you, but probably not as much as a SMP.

There are very few SMP's with a formal degree for 1-year. All of them have formal degrees for 2-year's. However, the degree is going to be in Physiology, Biomedical Sciences, or something equally useless that doesn't lead to employment.

Hey Rich, I know the cutoffs, but as I mentioned, the PI really likes me and he's pulled some strings for me, so as long as I maintain straight A's for my remaining quarters, I will be granted admission into the program if I choose to.

And to Morsetlis, right, I forgot. I'm guessing that 3.0 cutoff applies to the science GPA also?

Also, is there a formal degree for SMP's?

Hey, do you think if the under GPA end up something like 2.97 can still be kept in the BS/MS program? I am in the program now but just wondering if they really will drop students out if the final/overall GPA is about 2.7 or so, even though the pI has been really nice to me :)

So I actually did the B.S./M.S. program at UCSD. It is highly unlikely that you'll be able to finish your thesis within the 1 year that a lot of people alot for it. On the topic of the program being used to boost your GPA, it is extremely easy to boost your GPA with it. BUT apparently medical schools sometimes separate your undergraduate and graduate GPA. So does it boost your GPA? Yes and no.

Also, a lot of people go into the program to supposedly thinking that they can finance everything with TA'ing while also doing research. Most people will TA BIBC103 or such, unless they have connections. It's actually pretty hard to TA every quarter since now there's a surplus of TA's now. You can also try TA'ing for the chem. dep't, which is what I did since I had more connections there. TA'ing for labs takes an extraordinary amount of your time. So much that you really don't have time to do research. TA'ing for lectures is different, but harder. You have the lowest priority on the TA list since you're the most expensive.

For those of you who are wondering if you can get into the program with a GPA under 3.3, you just have to get your PI to really vouch for you from what I understand. If your PI has the connections and cares enough about you, then you should get in. Well, that's what I heard from a friend of mine that was trying to get into the BS/MS program. You might also want to talk to Andy in the Graduate Office of the Bio Division, if you're referring to the biology division. He's really cool. And if you really want to do it, talk to Gabrielle, the Associate Dean of Academics for the Bio Division. She's really cool and nice; also a very nice person to get a letter of recommendation from <wink, wink>. She's really wants what's best for us students.

If you just want to do research, don't do the program. Just be an RA. I think it looks a lot better on your resume, it's a lot less stress, and it still looks very good on your app. If you're trying to just boost your GPA, try to get into an SMP or post-bacc program. But obviously it's harder to get into a post-bacc program if you're already a science major. The B.S./M.S. program is pretty sweet if you like TA'ing, or you just want to get closer with those profs. that you like. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

HEY, I talked to Andy and he said that he has to wait for OGS and see what they say after receiving my final grades of spring quarter. It seems like that OGS is the one who makes the final decision, right? Or who makes the final decision. And BS/MS provisionally accept students and will drop students off the program because of the final GPA is 2.94 instead of 3.0? Is there anything we can do if OGS really drops we off? Thx...:))))

So I actually did the B.S./M.S. program at UCSD. It is highly unlikely that you'll be able to finish your thesis within the 1 year that a lot of people alot for it. On the topic of the program being used to boost your GPA, it is extremely easy to boost your GPA with it. BUT apparently medical schools sometimes separate your undergraduate and graduate GPA. So does it boost your GPA? Yes and no.

Also, a lot of people go into the program to supposedly thinking that they can finance everything with TA'ing while also doing research. Most people will TA BIBC103 or such, unless they have connections. It's actually pretty hard to TA every quarter since now there's a surplus of TA's now. You can also try TA'ing for the chem. dep't, which is what I did since I had more connections there. TA'ing for labs takes an extraordinary amount of your time. So much that you really don't have time to do research. TA'ing for lectures is different, but harder. You have the lowest priority on the TA list since you're the most expensive.

For those of you who are wondering if you can get into the program with a GPA under 3.3, you just have to get your PI to really vouch for you from what I understand. If your PI has the connections and cares enough about you, then you should get in. Well, that's what I heard from a friend of mine that was trying to get into the BS/MS program. You might also want to talk to Andy in the Graduate Office of the Bio Division, if you're referring to the biology division. He's really cool. And if you really want to do it, talk to Gabrielle, the Associate Dean of Academics for the Bio Division. She's really cool and nice; also a very nice person to get a letter of recommendation from <wink, wink>. She's really wants what's best for us students.

If you just want to do research, don't do the program. Just be an RA. I think it looks a lot better on your resume, it's a lot less stress, and it still looks very good on your app. If you're trying to just boost your GPA, try to get into an SMP or post-bacc program. But obviously it's harder to get into a post-bacc program if you're already a science major. The B.S./M.S. program is pretty sweet if you like TA'ing, or you just want to get closer with those profs. that you like. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thinking about doing the BS/MS program at UCSD. However, I don't know how I will be able to pay the tuition! Are there financial aid for the really low income people? or is anyway we can get some money from UCSD??