Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

B+ woes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dayfed, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Dayfed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Here's my story, take it or leave it. I apologize if threads like this have been made a million times.

I'm a 3rd year at a large public school majoring in Neuroscience. I came in to college with a lot of credits of A's at community colleges and also got A's when I was at a smaller branch of the public school I am at currently (with A's in generals like Biology and Gen Chem 1 and 2). But ever since the switch to a larger public school, I have sustained a B/B+ average. This past semester I took Neuro 1, Biochemistry, Physiology, and Directed Research with a B+ average total. Last year, I took Organic and Physics at the same time and wound up with a B average in both of those. My total GPA right now is 3.55 with all credits including community college, and 3.40 at my University. I have strong volunteering positions, have over 1200 hours as a Nursing Assistant, and have held two research positions, both of which the professors are willing to write me LORs.

My point is this: I'm not fretting over one grade or another, but the constant B+ is getting me down. I apologize if this sounds whiny. Next semester I plan on taking only two science classes (the first time in two years): Neuro 2 and Cell Bio, and use the rest of the credits for liberal eds I still need to fulfill. A good portion of my time will be used to study for the MCAT in May. Also, while I typically use my time wisely, I am not that competitive of an individual, and I may seek out some help on assertiveness skills. I'm going into medicine because it joins my love for science with my ability to take care of patients that I have learned as a Nursing Aide. I don't care about going to the top med school, and don't mind if I went to DO or MD (I hope to get into the MD program instate where I am now, but it is more competitive, etc.).

Are there any useful points you may have for me to boost those grades these last three semesters of Undergrad? Are there any of you that go to a large school that sometimes feel overwhelmed? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dec0y

dec0y Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Everyone feels overwhelmed from time to time. Its a natural reaction to this process.

Get focused, prioritize your studies, and get some A's. You have obviously got A's before, so just try to emulate what you did to be successful.

And another thing, your GPA is competitive, your EC's are competitive.. your situation is not nearly as grim as your probably think it is.

4. ApoK

2+ Year Member

are you a U of M student? sounds like it.

5. WeAreNotRobots

WeAreNotRobots doctor of medicine
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    that depends on what you mean by "competitive." if you check the stats, a 3.5 is about average for all applicants and about 3.7 for accepted students.

it sounds like you've been struggling with adjusting to the 4 yr university. if you've been consistently getting those B/B+'s, then you probably haven't deserved anything higher. the university will definitely be more difficult than the CC, so maybe you need to adopt better study/work habits.

you've identified your problems, so now you've got to improve.

6. Dayfed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

You are correct sir.

7. Dayfed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

the CC credits were actually credits that I recieved from a program from my High School, but yes, I have a transcript from two CC's. Maybe to get to the point more, I'm from Duluth and went to UMD for a semester and summer, got A/A-'s with General Bio 1, Gen Chem 1 and 2, Psychology...then transferred down to U of M twin cities campus because I like the bigger campus and have gotten B/B+'s. I definitely agree with your last statement, though. I've identified the problem, primarily prioritizing school work, and now I just have to follow through.

8. ApoK

2+ Year Member

Well, as a fellow U of M student who has taken nearly all the classes you have mentioned, you're doing well adjusting from CC to a 4-yr school. A B+ is a good mark in those tough classes and this is coming from someone who has maintained a 4.0 in those same classes. Many of them aren't easy and I'm quite impressed you've maintained B/B+'s coming from a CC. You're competing with students who often have a natural aptitude (or have taken a similar course before) for these courses, so it's only natural that you see a slight drop off from your straight A's. Keep your head up learn why you made mistakes on those exams and make adjustments for your future courses. Time management and study skills (e.g. knowing what to study for a given class) make A's possible in these courses. Best of luck!