B-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a math person....and just took college algebra in the summer and received a B-............How many B's and B-'s can one afford before applying into medical school? I mean I have 2 B-'s and a C....my GPA is about 3.28.........I'm just wondering if I should still consider med school or maybe something else.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no real threshold of Bs that will hold you back. Of course it's best if you have a majority of As on your record, but people get into med school with a few grades like yours. I have a lot of anecdotal evidence of people who were irresponsible in their first year(s) of college and got sub-3.0 semesters that were accepted to med school. Don't forget about the importance of the MCAT and ECs in the whole picture. I think that what you should focus on now (I don't know what grade you are) is improving your GPA every year and getting a strong upward trend. Perhaps you will even want to get a graduate degree then apply. You may also want to consider retaking a few of those classes that you got Cs in when you have a light semester and can dedicate more time to them.

Thank you for your support........I'm a junior and still have many premed requirements to take. I only got one C and it was back when I was freshman. I'm just kind of bummed out about getting a B-.....plus I work full time night shift and I think that could also add to the low grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as it's not a downward trend, you should be fine. A B- amongst A's wouldn't matter much.

Take upper level science courses and try to pull A's. This way your BCMP average will balance out. Don't worry! There's a lot more involved with getting accepted to med school then just grades.

if that was college algebra - are you planning on taking more math in the future - calc based physics? even regular physics? they also seem slightly math intensive, so grades in those may also suffer due to a less solid math background. i would make sure you have the math down pat before going further, goodluck regardless.
-jot

You might wanna check out this web page:

http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I actually plan on applying to the canadian schools I want to get into, a few in the states as backups, and finally to Saba(www.saba.org) in the caribbean as my ultimate backup. They tell me you should have a 3.2 gpa or higher to be competitive at saba.

immediatespring,

You don't necessarily need to get more A's than B's to get into medical school. Every school has a different average GPA for matriculants and there is usually a broad range between the lowest GPA and highest GPA of people admitted. In general, I would say try to have a GPA 3.3 or better, rock the MCATS (27 or better), have clinical EC's and find good rec writers. There is no "magic forumula" to getting into medical school - people get in with better and worse scores than the ones I suggest. Just do the best you can and apply to a range of schools. Good luck!!

Rezul

THANKS ALOT GUYS FOR YOUR INPUTS. I WAS THINKING ABOUT TAKING CALC FOR THE MANAGERIAL LIFE & SOC SCIENCES....WOULD I BE OK IF I HAD A B- IN COLLEGE ALGEBRA. ALSO.....I'M TAKING ONLY GENERAL PHYSICS W/OUT THE CALC....AM I GOING TO BE FINE?

physics w/o the calc is fine. physics w/ the calc is less common amongst pre-meds. the only way that B- is going to hurt you is if it meant that you didn't understand what was going on in the algebra class. if that's true, you might want to brush up before going to calc. the theory of calc doesn't require much algebra, but getting the ultimate solution at the end does. and remember, math is fun!

thanks pocwana for the input

Originally posted by Spidey
You might wanna check out this web page:

http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I actually plan on applying to the canadian schools I want to get into, a few in the states as backups, and finally to Saba(www.saba.org) in the caribbean as my ultimate backup. They tell me you should have a 3.2 gpa or higher to be competitive at saba.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH nice one.

Originally posted by phllystyl

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH nice one.

hmmm what? Saba is a good school, if u graduate from there and take the USMLE (and are a u.s. citizen) you will prob not have a problem getting a residency in the states in IM or FP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to 5 med schools with a 3.56/30R MCAT. Oh BTW, I had 4 B-'s and a C+. And, they were all in science classes. So, don't worry too much, just get some A's to balance out the B-'s and C's and you should be fine.

hmmm what? Saba is a good school, if u graduate from there and take the USMLE (and are a u.s. citizen) you will prob not have a problem getting a residency in the states in IM or FP.

I find it QUITE ridiculous that you recommend this course of action with a 3.26 gpa going into their jr year of ugrad. PLENTY of time to fix things up... I went into my jr year with a 3.05 gpa. Did well on the mcat (33) and am going to medical school after 2 years of hard work my jr and sr yrs.

Wander, dont listen to this guy, you have TONS of time, just need to put in some effort, and you can forget SABA and the carribean.

I was just recommending it as a backup school, of course he has plenty of time to improve. But he asked with a 3.28 should he forget about med school... even if he doesn't improve his gpa his dream of being a doctor doesnt have to die, I was just trying to give other alternatives.

I wasn't trying to be a dick... you must have thought I was... maybe I should just delete that post

Thanks again for your replies.....I know I still have time to increase my gpa....which I will try to do as hard as I can because caribbean schools are out the question.

Why was the OP taking algebra in college? Was it linear algebra?

Depends where you are at in school as well.....for i.e. Dr. Kermit, got into so many schools because of this backgroudn at JHU......

nero

now that i've read that post, i didn't mean to say that's the only reason he got in, rather, that going to JHU helped him out...i'm sure he is very bright and fully qualified...i hope i didn't offend you Dr. Kermit...if i did, i apologize..........that was not my intent...

nero

If you're starting your junior year with a low gpa, I think that's ok. Now you've adjusted to your classes, you will be able to do better, and be able to plan for tests better. Start getting ready for the MCAT though, although this doesn't necessarily mean taking a prep course.

Be sure you sincerely understand your science classes, it will help for the mcat test. :)

Just to clarify: you may have trouble getting into a *categorical* IM residency in the U.S. with an carribean school's MD degree. These are pluripotent IM residencies, so they are much more competitive.

Remember also that the # of MD's the US puts out is constant; but the # of matched residents isn't.

So in recession, AAMC/NRMP/ERAS may try to cut back on residency spots even in primary care fields, which could cripple you if you're carribean.

Don't play down general physics like it is an easy course because it most definitely is not. I reccomend that you make sure you have a solid understanding of algebra and trig before you go on to take physics or any other upper level math course; as they expect you to be very familiar with algebra and trig in those courses. I would also reccomend getting a math tutor if you need it most math departments offer free tutoring so take advantage of it!

Oh and "MATH IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!"

Originally posted by Cerberus

Oh and "MATH IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!"

Nope. Math is the devil.

Hi I don't think people should come down on Spidey, Saba is a great school.... I was honestly considering it as an alternative too, with a 3.5 GPA. But something changed my mind, or made me raise a red flag....this is true, honest! my friend applied with a 2.1 GPA to Saba (2.5 months ago) and got accepted this week apparently the interview was easy and they told her that her answers were 'great'. Now I've heard LOTS of great things about Saba, seriously.... but this kinda raises a red flag....

I might pay my good friend to apply with a 1.54 GPA (no joke!) and he has no EC and no volunteering..... if he gets in, I'm seriously worried....

CyclinE--
What is a pluripotent IM residency???

pluripotent = can differentiate into multiple things, ie pluripotent stem cells.

in this case, it means that categorical IM's can go on to specialize in the IM specialities: oncology, hematology, gastology, enterology, endocrinology, etc.