Babies During Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aggiemaj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out yesterday that I was pregnant ... something that both my husband and I DID plan because we wanted to have a baby before I entered med school next August. However, that will mean that during the interviews this fall, I will be physically showing that I'm pregnant.

How much impact do you think this will have on the interviewers and/or the admissions committee? Our baby is due in December, so no matter when I get an interview, I will have a big tummy!!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow!

Congratulations on the pregnancy. I wish you all the best!

My first inclination though is that the visibility of your pregnancy won't be good at interviews. One thing interviewers look for is a strong commitment to your medical education. For example, one criteria for acceptance is their belief that you will stick it out through the end and be successful. They don't want dropouts!!! You may be very committed to being a doc, but your pregnancy is going to show otherwise, or at least that you put family first, BEFORE your medical career! Personally it's the right priority. My family comes first too. However med schools might not see it that way. By the way, how old are u?

Be sure to convey your strong commitment to being a doc. Make sure your schools are family friendly, and Best wishes!

jenny

Unfortunately, I heard that for residency interviews, it doesn't look good. I have never heard anything about med school interviews, though. I think it is illegal for them to take it into consideration, but I have heard on SDN that some people were asked about their children on interviews. So, I would just say to be prepared to discuss how you plan on raising your baby while in med school.

I would also recommend to apply early--like on the very first day, and get your secondaries in as soon as you receive them (and have all the essays ready to go beforehand). If you interview in August, you will be about 4 mos pregnant and it might not be too much of a distraction.

OK, now for the positives: as long as you are a competitive applicant, there should be no problem! It is illegal for adcoms to be biased. :clap:

Congratulations! And I wish you the best of luck :D :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
As Dr. Foxy said, you should do everything you can to apply very early and get as many interviews as you can before the end of September.

In any case, you'll need to work on preparing some well thought-out answers as to why your pregnancy won't become a hindrance, how you will be absolutely committed to medicine, and how your husband has assured you that he'll provide maximum support during your medical training (whether/not that's true). After all, your pregnancy will become hard to conceal in late fall, and there'll be plenty of interviews left around that time.

I give the above advice, if you're sure that you want to go through it. You just need to get in, and after that, you can think about deferring, leave of absence, etc.

Having said this, I'll switch gears on you and say that, put in your situation, I would wait until your kids have reached a certain age before doing med school (or wait to have kids till I'm done with first year of residency). It takes incredible commitment to either have babies or to go through medical training. I can't fathom being able to do both without some undesirable compromise. But it is up to you. I have heard stories of some people who have managed to do both simultaneously, and you know best what you're capable of.

Congratulations!

One of my classmates at Duke was 8 months pregnant at her interview. She said that the interviewer didn't look at all pleased -- seemed afraid that she would go into labour right there in her office. She was accepted, however.

This is a sensitive issue, and no doubt each interviewer will have a different take on it. Your attitude will be really important: Stride into those interviews with pride, head held high and belly out, and you'll go a long way toward convincing them you're capable of being a medical student and a mom at the same time.

Good luck!

:) :wink: :D :wink: :)

Aggie, are you a non-traditional applicant?

jam128 - I'm 22YO)

I talked to my OB-GYN about it yesterday, who is a clinical professor at the medical school in town, and he said that it "shouldn't" matter during the interview, but that doesn't mean that it won't.

It's mixed feelings for me right now - I'm SOOO happy about the baby, and I truly believe that I can care for a child & go to med school at the same time, but I just don't want my personal life (i.e. family) to be judged in the interview room. If I were only a few months pregnant and interviewing, they would never even notice. I've got everything ready for when the applications come out, so I think I've done about all I can do until it's time to interview. Thanks for the advice!

It would be BLATANT sex discrimination to take your pregnancy into account. Surely these schools know that. However, if you are asked, I would respond, as nicely as possible,

"Thank you for your concern. I can assure you that my husband and I have given the matter the most serious consideration. In response to your question, however, I believe that--LEGALLY--it is a private matter." Then flash a big smile.

Aggiemaj, sorry I left out one most important detail in my earlier post, which is CONGRATULATIONS!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Omores is right. Many interviewers will immediately have doubts about you, once they see that you're pregnant. But you can help erase those doubts by being self-confident and convincing in your responses to any tough questions that might get thrown at you regarding your pregnancy.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by whoanelly:
•"Thank you for your concern. I can assure you that my husband and I have given the matter the most serious consideration. In response to your question, however, I believe that--LEGALLY--it is a private matter." Then flash a big smile.•••••Maybe the last part's a little too blunt. I think you will have to discuss it if it gets brought up.

Here's my take: if the school is biased against you because you have a family, chances are you won't feel comfortable going to school there anyway. I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant and fortunate enough to be a first-year at a really family-friendly school. The anatomy department purchased $400 gas masks for me and another female student (who was trying to conceive at the time) to wear in lab. During practicals, they allowed me to leave the room as needed for bathroom breaks, etc. When I was horribly nauseous the first 5 months, my anatomy course director told me not to worry about going into lab if I didn't feel well and to just do the best I could with other study materials (Rohen's atlas, computers, etc.)
I'm due in 3 weeks (FINALLY!) and the faculty this semester have been just as supportive. Due to an increased risk of pre-eclampsia, I've had to postpone the remainder of my clinical preceptorship until this summer, which hasn't been a problem to rearrange.
I can't imagine going through a pregnancy and raising kids while attending a school that wasn't supportive of families. Hopefully you'll be fortunate enough to find a school that is a good fit. If not, you may want to consider deferring med school for a while, especially, since you're still so very young (I'm 30 BTW). In any event, you and your husband have plenty of time to decide what you want to do. Good luck and congratulations!

Don't know anything about your question, JUST want to say

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!

Another option for you would be to eliminate the evidence by trying to schedule your interviews for AFTER your due date (and bring your husband along to take care of baby). I know that many schools will assign you a date, but for the most part, you can change it one time. Still get your stuff in early, as it will give you the flexibility to take early interviews and postpone those that might come when you're really showing.

I would love to hear about someone just marching in totally pregnant and smiling and showing she can do it. If that's your style, go for it. Good luck.

Hey...congrats...but sooo young to have a child...ah well..have fun :)

Ummm...DEFINITELY APPLY TO MED College of Wisconsin!! (MCW)

They are very very accomodating of people with families...

Good luck!

I only briefly read through the replies, BUT, the fellow (3rd year Hem/Onc) in my lab interviewed at the only med school to which she applied (UPitt) 8 month pregnant. She also had another child her third year in school. So, I don't think it matters too much as long as you present yourself maturely.

Congrats.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I know of two med school applicants who applied when visibly pregnant and both of them received acceptances. Don'te waste another second worrying about it and just enjoy your pregnancy!

Kris

Yes, the midwest, just as a generalized stereotype might be a good place to try out in terms of applications. MANY of your interviews will take place after December, so you won't be showing for all of them. Of my 10 interviews, 7 occurred post December.