Baby books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have good books they like to use to supplement textbooks? I don't mean board review books either. Like, I don't have time to read Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy, so I'm thinking of getting Baby Moore's (Essential Clinical Anatomy) to study from. Anyone have any other good ones (for any subject?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by leorl
Does anyone have good books they like to use to supplement textbooks? I don't mean board review books either. Like, I don't have time to read Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy, so I'm thinking of getting Baby Moore's (Essential Clinical Anatomy) to study from. Anyone have any other good ones (for any subject?)

Thanks!

baby moore is not even a summary of big more. its jsut leaves chunks out. so u will be missing out on alotta info.

i would just suck it up and do big moore...using BRS to supplment.

i remember when i was taking anatomy..and we had lab.

the prof at my table...asked a ? ..i think it was somethig about the pudendal nerve. and i basically had no idea whatso ever. and he asks..did u read the text...i was yeah..."baby moore".

lawd, u shoulda seen his face. baby moore did no even mention the "fact"....

that day i went home.....hide ma baby mooore. never touched it again.

for head and neck ...all i used was big moore and BRS......and head and neck is very very very veyr long in big moore.

but i think for upper limbs, thorax, back....baby moore may be ok.

but for abdomen, pelvis , perineum., head, neck..lower limb...u may wanna go the distance with big moore

in my opinion..most "baby" books are bad.

even for those that summarize.....its like u get the info...and no further explanation. i.e baby berne and levy (physio).

u might as well just read a bigger version..with good explanations....then go ahead and usesa review book to refresh ur memory before the exam.

the diff b/w....daddy and baby books is.....daddy books....constantly reinforce a concept with diferent example, experiments.....etc. baby books just spits out the concept....and u almost jsut have to acceot it as a fact and memorize it. i belive that takes more work....especially for conceptual subjeccts like physio.

now baby moore was jsut horrible. i mean....he didnt even summarize entire sections. instead he cut and pasted chunks of info from big moore to lil more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have "baby" Harrison's. This is only because I can't presently afford big Harrison's. And, I figure by the time I can it'll be updated again anyway.

Stay away from "baby" Robbins. As it was said already, "chunks" are missing.

They may be good to throw in your labcoat pocket, but I agree they don't make very good references.

I, on the other hand, have not been using any textbook at all, and I've been doing just fine. All I use are: grant's dissector, our lecture notes (comes as a book and is very good), and Netters. Somewhere between those, everything gets covered. And yes, I'm able to answer questions in lab as well as anybody who read Moore or the other textbooks. I think it depends on the person. Some people are textbook studiers, some are not. My classmates who use baby Moore tell me it's good, though.

We used baby moore for anatomy last year. Our profs told us that baby moore was just as good for our purposes (and for the boards as well). It depends on how your anatomy class is taught--we are not a text-based school, so baby moore as a supplement was more than adequate. And, some of the board review type books are good for studying certain subjects as supplements (like Lippincotts for pharm, clinical micro made ridiculously simple, etc.). Ask someone in the class ahead of you for good/bad books---they'll tell you what's best for studying for your exams.

Thanks for your opinions. My problem is that I just simply have no time to sit down for long stretches of time to read the big books. I know they're more thorough, but I'm kinda looking for a quick fix to learn the material initially. Then when I need further clarification or supplemental info, i'll turn to the big books. Anyone got an opinion on Last's Anatomy?

Leorl, just don't read the entire Moore's book. It was a "required" textbook at my school and I started out trying to read every bit of it. I then realized that I could use it only for concepts I needed more help understanding (plus I really enjoyed reading those blue boxes :p ). Anyway, a lot of it is unnecessary. For example, you don't really need to read the beginning of each chapter which talks about bones, ligaments, etc unless your class doesnt cover that in lecture. I think you'd be fine to get it and just pick and choose what you read. That's what I did and I just finished anatomy on Monday and I did well in the class.

Leorl, have you considered photocopying the pages you want to read? My school's library had some books I liked better than what I had brought with me, and the library books were in big demand. I started doing this with even my own books. I highlighted and mutilated the pages freely, and I could take the pages anywhere for those 1-5 minute waits:)

I agree with Tega that baby books are almost useless. Large texts are often way too verbose to read cover to cover, but are good reference sources to read when you are having difficulty with a concept and need more indepth coverage of a topic. IMO, review books are extremely useful. I simply didn't have time to sift through minutae (yup, I can't spell :)), and good review books do a good job of focusing on relevant material.

Of course, your reading is often course dependent. For example, the, the only text I read thoroughly was "Big Robbin's". I read the first 11 chapters plus a few random others because, in my general path course, anything in the text was "fair game". The questions on the test were so picky that I actually had to outline these chapters to make sure I had it all. My outline ended up being very much like "Baby Robbin's", but more detailed with less words.

As always, the best way to organize for a course, IMO, is to talk to people who did well in the course the year before, and find out what they did to be successfull.

Good luck!

Should also add, baby books usually have few or no pictures too. Baby Robbins is a prime example. Good pictures are very important, and are on the tests and shelf exams. As the old saying goes, "sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words..."