Baby in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

estrella00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting dental school next fall and I'm wondering if/when I could have a baby while in school. Which year would be the most reasonable based on time constraints, courseload, etc? I'm 30 and was going to wait until after school to have a child, but I'd be 35 at that point, so I'm trying to weigh all my options. Also, does anyone know of schools with daycare or that are particularly helpful to those nontrads with families?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay...here's my two cents:

You need to experience a couple of semesters of d-school before you can make a decision like this...it is very, very different from undergrad and you won't know what it is really like until you actually go through it.

I am a single mom of a five year old and a D2...and let me tell you, my life SUCKS. At least 50% of the time I am racked with guilt because I do not feel like an adequate parent...dental school is REALLY stressful and does not leave a whole lot of emotional currency left over for ANYONE in your life...let alone the infinite patience and nuturing you need for a child...

Obviously, the wild card is how supportive your partner is willing to be...having an infant is challenging in any circumstances...and not all people are equally up to the task... It helps a lot if you have other family around you that can help out. My parents have been very helpful and this has been the only way I have been able to make it work.

Don't even THINK about it during your first two years...but maybe you can get pregnant during your fourth year??? I know someone who did that and managed to pull it off.

Good luck!!!!

When you're in dental school, you cant have any distractions (seriously). It's getting to be really hard talking to my gf daily. I can only imagine how hard it is for those who are married and living w/ their spouse...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree witht the statement about having a child in the first two years. But don't let everyone scare you about dental school being the only thing you'll have time for. I'm in my second year, have a two-year-old and one on the way. I'm able to make plenty of time to spend with my wife and child. Also, a girl at our school had a baby, I think she was a third year at the time, and they gave her six weeks off for "maternity leave" and really made accomodations for her so she could catch up easily. Anyway, dental school is a busy time, but there are plenty of opportunities to spend time with family.

You can do it. Someone in our school had quadruplets third year. If they can do it, you can do it. Life doesn't stop just because dental school starts.

I wouldn't recommend it unitl your your fourth year. The first 2 years is stressful enough without dealing with a baby in your life.

I'm starting dental school next fall and I'm wondering if/when I could have a baby while in school. Which year would be the most reasonable based on time constraints, courseload, etc? I'm 30 and was going to wait until after school to have a child, but I'd be 35 at that point, so I'm trying to weigh all my options. Also, does anyone know of schools with daycare or that are particularly helpful to those nontrads with families?

Only you can decide. I would start dental school, do a year and go from their. If you overthink anything, it can block you from moving forward. I know of women who have done it successfully. I didn't have kids while in school, but I had both my kids by 31. I absolutely love that one's in grad school and the other is in college and I'm only 51. It's hard being young and taking a lot of responsiblity or the prospect of it all at once, an office, a home, repayment of loans and kids shortly after or during dental school, but in your twenties and early thirties you are very resilient and generally healthy. It's a great time to take on a lot! Good luck with your decision and in school.

several of my classmates had children their 3rd year. just plan around boards and clinical exams

wow navy, there is not enough money in the world to convince me to redo the first 2 years of D school if I had to. That shows a lot of determination.

In response to what 2quik posted, I disagree that you cannot have distractions. School is stessful. A lot of times you can get too serious about school and you need distractions. I am so grateful I have a loving spouse who is so supportive. Somedays, I come home and just need to vent. She is there for me and allows me to complain and then give me a big hug and kiss - the says I love you. That helps so much. She helps keep me grounded. She makes sure that I take breaks from studying. She gets up in the middle of the night to cover me up if I fell asleep studying. If I have to do an all nighter because I have a big exam the next day, she gets up every hour or two to make sure I am awake and studying. If not, she bites the bullet and wakes me up practically forcing an energy drink down my throat. I went to d-school a decade ago and ended up dropping out in the second year because I let school and life get to me. i played too much. Had I been married to my wife, I would have graduated from d-school in 2000 instead of 2010 as I will do.

Your post made me smile, NavyDDS. I hope my hubby does the same for me once I'm a dental student. Dental Love! :D

Thanks so much, everyone, for the words of wisdom and encouragement. It makes me feel better to know it's not entirely impossible to have a baby in dental school and that my husband and I will be able to make a decision that's right for us when the time comes.