Bacclaurette/MD (BS/MD or BA/MD)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kylek044

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done it? How did you like it?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone done it? How did you like it?

Not sure if this is the right board -- most of folks on here are nontrad as they are older and have gaps between education stages, i.e. not going directly from high school to college to med school.

At any rate, there are significant disadvantages to not getting benefit of the normal college experience, making career decisions at too young an age (binding or not), and not getting the well roundedness that making a decision too early in the process tends to cause. Some of these programs are actually being phased out because broader, not more focused, college experiences are becoming progressively more en vogue to med schools. Best to do it the normal route, IMHO.

I started a 6 year BA/MD and hated it.

They cut way too much to make everything fit into the 6 years and I found out the residency matching for the program was terrible (a number of my friends that finished the program failed to match or had to scramble match) . I left after 2.5 years finished my BA and did a post-bac.

Some of these programs are better than others, but the one I did was terrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

I have answered this question before but I am copying and pasting a past response because I feel that it is important that you understand what you are getting into before committing to these programs:

I was accepted to the Medical Scholars Program at UMiami. I am currently entering my 3rd and last yr at the U of Miami. I took the MCAT this past weekend hopefully for the 1st and last time. The requirements for the program according to its website are to have a 3.7 gpa both science and non science and a 26 MCAT. However since I started college before the requirements changed I need just a 3.2 science gpa, 3.4 overall gpa and I was told that I don't need a minimum score on the MCAT-just need to take it.

I applied out of HS to UM's BS/MD programs for HS seniors and didn't get in. My only advice is to make sure you understand what you are getting into when you apply to these programs. Some people, like myself, should experience college before deciding on med school. Sure I wanted to be a doctor in HS but my experiences in surgical rooms, doctors' offices, and research further fueled my decision to study medicine. I now feel more ready and sure of myself as I embark on my future medical studies.

So if you feel ready and sure that medicine is for you then by all means apply now. Just realize that these programs are not for everyone and that you are making a career altering decision so soon.

Good luck!

I started a 6 year BA/MD and hated it.

They cut way too much to make everything fit into the 6 years and I found out the residency matching for the program was terrible (a number of my friends that finished the program failed to match or had to scramble match) . I left after 2.5 years finished my BA and did a post-bac.

Some of these programs are better than others, but the one I did was terrible.

Yeah, and which program was that?