Bachelor of PA vs. Master of PA-- Is there a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twitch_mah_itch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently interested in PA school. I've looked at many schools across US and wondered is there a difference between obtaining a bachelor degree in PA and master degree in PA? Does obtaining a master degree give me better opportunity to get a job or more income, etc??

Also, what is the average GPA and # of years experience do you usually need to work in the health field?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The AAPA Education Council voted a few years ago to make master's degree the minimum degree requirement for PA practice, I think by around 2010. (It's been a while since I've been in the loop on this so don't shoot me.)
With degree inflation all around, especially with the upcoming doctoral NP programs (don't even get me started on that one), you need a master's degree. For the amount of money it will cost you to attend PA school, go for the master's now rather than trying the back door approach. Once you're working, you'll have enough to learn those first few years out of school and doing a master's extension program is not likely to be feasible.
Lisa PA-C

twitch_mah_itch said:
I'm currently interested in PA school. I've looked at many schools across US and wondered is there a difference between obtaining a bachelor degree in PA and master degree in PA? Does obtaining a master degree give me better opportunity to get a job or more income, etc??

Also, what is the average GPA and # of years experience do you usually need to work in the health field?

Thanks.

The average GPA depends on the school. Check out CASPA for school websites to determine their min. GPA and number of clinical hours. Each school has different requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
twitch,

http://www.aapa.org is the website for the American Academy of Physician Assistants. check it out, all the statistics are there.

good luck!

Thanks everyone for your advice and help. Greatly appreciated.