SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Bachelor's Degree

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Supertramp, Feb 21, 2000.

1. Supertramp

Supertramp New Member

Dec 31, 1999
    Magnolia, MA
    I am aware that most people who apply to medical school have earned a B.A. or a B.S. from an accredited college or university. Do medical schools accept individuals who have not received the traditional Bachelor's degree? Currently, I am at the Harvard Extension School and am pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Liberal arts studies (conferred as an A.L.B degree). I have taken all of the required pre-requisites for medical school and am told by the administration that my degree is equivalent. I am just curious if anyone has any comments or suggestions. Could this present a semantical hinderance?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 11, 1999
    What does A.L.B. stands for?
  4. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York, New York
    A lot of schools use Latin instead of English on their diplomas, and Harvard is no exception. ALB is the Latin equivalent of "Bachelor of Liberal Arts." A BA in many schools (Bachelor of Arts) would be awarded as an AB (Artes Bac..... -- dunno how to write "Bachelor" in Latin) at these schools.

This is the reason for why the degree of "Doctor of Medicine" is awarded as an MD (Medicines Doctores, or something to that effect) and not a DM, and why a "Doctor of Philosophy" is PhD (Philosoph... Doctores). You will find a DM and DPhil. in other countries, however.

Tim of New York City.
  5. Great answer, Tim!