Bachelors in Nursing and then Pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverance

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a chemistry major/ pre-pharmacy and finishing up my sophomore year. For about a month now, I was thinking about changing my major from chem to nursing and was wondering if this would be an advantage or disadvantage? I am really interested in health care and I am very passionate in dedicating my life to help restore people's health both physically and mentally. Also, would pharmacy schools look at my change of major as a sign of weakness? I'm just curious and positive comments would be most appreciated. Btw, I'm a new member and if this topic has already been issued, I would like to know where I can find more threads like this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

if you want to change it to nursing then y not become a nurse? admissions will think it is fishy. pharmacists & nurses dont have much in common, regarding the type of daily work they do.

do what you want, just my 2 cents

I think you need to get a feel for both professions before you make a decision. I don't know exactly what the adcom would think of you getting a nursing degree and then going to pharm school, but I can guess they would ask why. Plus, the pre-reqs you need for pharm school and what you'll take as a nursing student don't usually overlap. Seems that it would be more beneficial for you if you want to do pharmacy school just to stay on your current course.

I don't know how it works at your school, but here it's pretty competitive to get in the nursing school. Don't take this the to be mean, just something to think about. IMO it's not fair to take one of those nursing school spots if you don't intend to be a nurse. Sure it's fine to change your mind down the road, but if you know now you want to do pharmacy why become a nurse first?

Yea I know, I haven't really made an official decision yet but the reason i was thinking of changing my major was because of calculus II and my organic II courses. For calc II, I know that most pharmacy schools don't look at it and only look at the first course ( I received an A). I This semester has been a very rough for me, both mentally and physically (I'm an NIU student and I'm sure everyone was aware of the tragedy there). It really affected my studies and for calc II, I have a C/D and was thinking about withdrawing. For organic II, I'm very aware that pharmacy schools are strict on the organic portion and I have a low C as of now. I'm trying very hard to finish strong this semester, especially upcoming final exams. I guess that's why I wanted to switch majors but I'm still thinking about it.