back from LA! anna makes the final decision

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by annabanana, Jul 23, 2002.

1. annabanana

annabanana Member

well, as many of you know, I was accepted to USC and Arizona as an AZ resident and was having trouble deciding between the two. So my sister/roommate and I jumped in the car late Saturday morning and drove 9 hours to stay with a family friend in Calabasas (home of the group Incubus!) so we could check out LA and some options for housing. The next day I met with a grad student who had an apartment within walking distance of campus, but the apt. was adjacent to East LA (looked straight into it) and I saw a lot of suspicious looking people and homeless men and women wandering around the perimeter of the parking lot. Plus the girl seemed nice but kind of weird, and had a very skittish cat that hissed every time you got within 20 feet of it. I then drove up to Monterey Hills since some people on SDN had recommended it, but when my sister and I went into one of a cluster of buildings to inquire about openings; the guy at the front desk (who was Chinese, apparently there is a very large Asian population in Monterey Hills) told us rather coldly that there were no openings whatsoever and then looked at us suspiciously. I'm not sure what his problem was, but it really doesn't matter cause we moved on. I spent most of the next evening (except for a trip to Santa Monica pier) trying to get in touch with most of the people on the roommate list that Gena in Student Affairs had given me, and found that most people had found a roommate, decided to attend another school, or were now living with their sig. others. After spending 2 hours in the car trying to get to USC-LAC medical center on Monday morning to check it out (this is my own fault cause I got somewhat lost after missing the freeway interchange outside of Calabasas), I was really missing Tuscon, my family, and my former bf who moved back from Pheonix and will reapply this year (we are kind of trying to repair our relationship, long story). It may not be rational on my part, but I decided to save myself $100,000+, the expense of buying a new car, and the trouble of finding housing by choosing to attend The University of Arizona College of Medicine starting Monday. I went to the Admissions Office to inform them of my decision; they sent me into Dr. Erin Quinn's office. She was really nice about it, assured me that I would receive an excellent education at UA, and gave me a list of contacts in case I wanted to do an Away rotation during my 3rd or 4th year at USC-LAC hospital. I think I may do just that, as I would eventually like to practice on the West Coast (I think) (prob. Washington, Oregon, or Northern Cali though). In any case, we headed back out I-10 and I am now home and ready to begin medical school on Monday morning! I hope one of you gets my USC spot. I was really honored to be accepted there, and it is a great school with an excellent curriculum. I'm still a little sad that I had to turn them down. But UA has a lot of merits, too, you can work with lots of Spanish-speaking patients and do rotations in both Pheonix and Tucson. Good luck to those of you making a similar decision, sorry this is so long.

P.S. The only way I will not attend UA is if OHSU pulls me off the waitlist and offers me in-state tuition. I was also v. impressed by OHSU, but they told me the chances of me getting in and offered in-state tuition are very slim and this point. oh well.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

congrats for making the decision. too bad i won't see u at usc next yr.

4. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer

Congratz!

Btw, as an AZ resident, why would OHSU offer you in state tuition? Is there some sort of west coast tuition reciprocity thing?

5. sundevil1

sundevil1 Senior Member

Congratulations on making your decision. I think you will be happy at UofA plus its a great school. I'm a little biased though. Well, as long as you are happy with it, you can't go wrong. Enough of that. Congratulations and we'll see you in class. Now there will be 4 SDNers in our class.

6. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

Thank god. Someone with some sense who visited the alternative schools a second time. I have an SDN pet peeve about this. You are making a $100k to 200k and four year investment. It is worth a couple of hundred dollars to do an in-person check out of all institutions that are in the running.

7. superdood68

superdood68 Senior Member

i'm sorry to hear about your experience. i'm currently in la and i love it. the east side is kinda shady, but i love the west side. i'm sorry to hear about monterey park. i found a place there, and i love it. i love the food, i love the people, but part of the reason is b/c i'm chinese =/ but all in all, i think i will love it here. i just gotta work my way west to ucla for residency =) good luck to you at u of a tho. i want to visit the school one day b/c i heard some good things about them and arizona state.

btw, there are not many openings in monterey park. i found one place n it was a converted hotel.

8. Bikini Princess

A friend told me OHSU jacked up in-state tuition to 25k this year. !!! I wouldn't get excited about that if I were you.