Back from LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just returned from my interview at LECOM today! I am very impressed with the facilities and the 3 different learning pathways that are available. Disadvantages-I felt that the atmosphere was a little too stiff for my liking. But all in all I think that LECOM is an excellent school. Still have an interview at DMU and UNE but as of now I am still planning on attending UHS this fall!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Please post your feedback on the interview feedback page! I would love to read about your LECOM experience.

LECOM needs color.

The decorating is very sterile and drab. It's bad enough most of the winter is spent with grey skies and snow cover, but you go inside and get more of the same. The facilities are fine, but the color scheme is an excercise in creating manic-depressives.

LECOM looks so strangely out of place too. It's just a little building stuck in the middle of a large, glorified trailer park community. The surrounding communities look clean and maintained, and I'd have no problem living around there. It reminds me of a very quaint "middle America" sort of town, but LECOM sticks out like a sore thumb. An old swinging-door saloon would be more appropriate in its place.

I think LECOM is on it's way to being something great. I don't know what exactly, but something. I think the education as it exists now is most definitely good as is every accredited medical school in the U.S. I also believe that LECOM will graduate adequately prepared, quality doctors.

I have alot of respect for the LECOM students. They deal with a very strict environment, and they take it in stride. They are far more strict than I believe I could be while attending my first 2 years of medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
my girlfriend went with me to my interview at LECOM and said the exact same thing about how drab and bland the decorations were, how the hallways were just empty and depressing.

Personally, I didn't notice/don't really care.

As for the dress code/attendence policy, I justify it by saying why should you have to finish two years of medical school before you start presenting yourself/acting like a physician....

and of course, beggers can't be choosers....

My interview was on OCT 10th, so I'm just waiting to hear back, very excited and hoping to hear some good news! Wish me luck.

Originally posted by H0mersimps0n

As for the dress code/attendence policy, I justify it by saying why should you have to finish two years of medical school before you start presenting yourself/acting like a physician....

I can handle the dress code/attendance, but the thing that bites is the no food/drink policy in lecture and library. I don't know if I can handle school without a big mug of coffee with me everywhere I go ...

- Tae

In all serousness...

You can present yourself as a professional without wearing a tie or other dress clothes. Quite frankly, it's rare to see a male physician in a private practice wearing a tie. They wear nice "casual" clothes.

Being a professional isn't about how you look. Being a professional is about how you present yourself to others. You can put a street bum in an Armani suit and take him to a banquet. Do you think he's going to look like a professional?

I wasn't very impressed by LECOM. They just opened in 92, so I guess I expected that. It looked very drab, I didn't even see pictures of student activities or anything on the walls. One of the deans I met said "Maybe we'll see you again...that is if you would want to come here." It just made me feel like some of the professors and students I met were not very proud of their school. I met a student who had a lot of gripes, so maybe that is why I had a negative experience. Many of the students are older, so I think that it would be a great place for people to go who are married or going into a second career. Overall, I just felt that it was a lonely place.

Originally posted by WishUponAStar
You can put a street bum in an Armani suit and take him to a banquet. Do you think he's going to look like a professional?

You could put Wish in a set of scrubs in gross lab...do you think Wish looks like a medical student?

;)

Actually I don't look like a medical student.

I don't have that hopeless look of despair yet. Give me time, Josh. Give me time. With practice I'll develop that disdain for living that you've perfected. ;-p

See you in lab on Tuesday. Only 3 to go. Whoo hoo!