Back from UPITT interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcidETCH

UPENN SDM '07
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can I say? One word would probably suffice: Amazing.
Before this interview I knew nothing about the dental program at Pitt, but after attending the interview I am clearly very impressed with what the program has to offer. Surely, anyone who was there with me for the interview can agree with this. Their facilities are state of the art, and the people at the school are knowledgeable and friendly. They definitely went all out for us. The students, unlike at other schools, definitely showed a genuine interest in trying to make us feel comfortable and relaxed. Every one of them had only positive things to say about the school and the dental program.

The interview, for those who are wondering, is 1-on-1 with a faculty member. It only lasted about 15min and was very casual. Apparently the interview was an open-interview, where the interviewer had 4 days to look at the applicant's application to make notes etc. This wasn't a problem since I had reviewed my application the night before. Just a hint for those who might be interviewing there in the next batch. However, there was an applicant who I had spoke to after the interviews who mentioned that the faculty member had a set list of questions that he would ask from. Interesting, since my interview wasn't like that at all.

After the interveiw, there's a writing component. I would have thought that the topic would be an ethical/moral question but it turned out to be a interview-type question. That kind of threw me off a bit. Oh well, it didn't appear that any of the other applicants had problems with it.

In summery, it was the best interview that I've had so far. The school is located in a beautiful place. I didn't get a chance to travel around the city though, but it seemed relatively safe. This school has definitely moved up on my dental school wish list, eventhough I have interviews at other more recognized schools such as UCONN. I'm trying to keep an open mind, so I'll wait to see what the other schools have to offer. Anyways, if any of the applicants who attended the interview are reading this, best of luck in your career decisions. Maybe, we'll be classmates in the near future. :)

AE

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! Thanks for the input. My interview is next week at Pitt. After reading your post, I'm looking alot more forawrd to it! Thanx :D

No problem. I hope you will enjoy the interview as much as I did.
Best of luck.

AE

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity - how many other students where there interviewing with you? Thanks for the info. My interview is next monday and I just hope I have as good an experience as you did.

For those who will be there on the 4th of November - does anybody want to hang out for dinner or something. I am staying at the Shadyside Inn (that name just cracks me up)

There are approximately 37 people that interviewed that day, 10/28 was the first batch of applicants.

I personally found UPitt interview to be on "average", the facility didn't stand out to me as much except for the 3 million dollar state-of-the-art simulation lab, (which better be nice since it cost 3 mil), but other than that i didn't find the dental students there to be particular nice, they were just like any other dental students at other dental schools. The beginning lecture by Dean and other profession was formal but felt repetitious and they did not seemed very enthusiastic. As soon as one is done with their speech, they walked out the room and didn't care to hang out little after for later questions or what not...and all the boasting in the beginning about the school was unappealing to me and made them seem desperate.

But then again, this is all relative since it's heavily opinionated. So for those of you going to interview on 11/4, see it for yourself and take advantage of the brunch, it's pretty good! and definitely check out the 3 million simulations.

ps-which school did you go Acid? I may have talked to you at the interview...

NSXDent

FutureNSXDent: I agree with you that there was a lot of boasting, but I can assure you that they are not the only ones. Other schools will talk about the advantages of their school in an effort to attract competitive applicants. You can't really blame them for that.

I guess we both had a different experience at the interview. I had a good time meeting the other applicants and the dental students that I talked to really showed a general interest in the school. Like you said, it's all perspective.

I'm not sure if I talked to you at the interview. I studied at the University of Toronto and was 1 of probably 3 canadians there.

I received a private message, but don't know how to open it up. If the person who messaged me would tell me, I'd appreciate it.

AE

grad MS: I'm gonna be there on Nov 4. I guess I'll see you there. I'm going to be driving up ther efrom Wash DC. It should take less than 4 hours, but I'm gonigto be leaving on Sunday night, so I don't think I can get dinner with ya. I'll probably be too tired to do anythning but look over my app and essay and go to bed :D

I'll definitely look out for you at the interview. Look for the lil filipino dude in a blue suit :cool:

I have an interview at U Pitt on either 11/18 or 11/25. What kind of questions do they asked in interview ? And what is the essay portion of the interview about ? Does U Pitt put more emphasis in reasearch or clinical practice? Thank you very much for your feedback

I didn't know anything about the school either before I interviewed at UPITT. Don't worry about that, you'll learn what the school is all about during the welcoming part of the day. From what I gathered, the school is known for their genetics research and how it would apply to dentistry.

The questions that were asked were derived from my AADSAS application. It's open-file, so they could probably ask you anything that needs elaboration from your file. Don't worry about it, it's pretty relaxed and comfortable. Make sure to ask the dental student that you have lunch with about the person that will be interviewing you (interviewer's name will be on an envelope they give you). That way, the student can give you hints on how to approach your interview.

Relax, the people at the school are friendly and want you to feel comfortable, so just have a good time and mingle with the other candidates. Good luck.

AE

who was there on the 28th?

Thanks for this post!!! I will be there on the 9th. Anyone else?

Fourpointohoh,

I just received an invite for the 2/10 so I'll be there the 9th.
Still have to confirm though.

I'll be there the 28th, anyone ?
T

i'll be there on the 27th!

Okie, ktran, I'll see u there. Where do u stay?

Tinker Bell-TEMPLE DENTAL 007:cool:

Hi Friends,
I'll be there on the 10th, too. Where do you stay ( Hotel)? Any idea?
See you
AJ
;)

I still haven't heard back from Pitt....I interviewed there mid-November....I want to know!!! :rolleyes:

Hi Vixen!

How was your interview??? Did you call them to see what was up with your file? I wish you luck!!! BTW- did you interview anywhere else?

;)