Back it up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb oo9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that a lot of pre-medical students are set on getting into med school, but what kinds of back-up plans does everyone have if you don't get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to both graduate schools and jobs in biomedical engineering. The jobs all involve heavy patient contact with cardioverter debrillators. In any case, I'll be working in a hospital for more clinical exposure.

I know that a lot of pre-medical students are set on getting into med school, but what kinds of back-up plans does everyone have if you don't get in?

I should have named myself Cortes, becase I have no backup plan, nor will I ever have a back up plan.

If I don't get in for the '09 year, I will apply for the 2010 year. If I don't get in then I will do a Masters then reapply and so on and so on.

I know this is the course I want to take and gave up a wonderful career (in some peoples minds) to pursue my dreams in medicine.

My back-up plan: apply to medical school until the age of 50 (in my 20's now). I'm actually being serious!!

If for some crazy reason I am not accepted by 50, then I will retire as a professional pre-professional student.

If for some crazy reason I am not accepted by 50, then I will retire as a professional pre-professional student.

Lol. That actually made me giggle out loud.

Already doing it: teaching and medical research.

But you did get in, so I don't know if you can really consider it a backup plan. Maybe an alternate plan.

If I'm not accepted the first year I apply, I'll keep applying until I'm accepted. I'd work as a clinical laboratory scientist and do some adjuncting at a community college in the interim.