back to back interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glazedonutlove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
Are back to back interviews recommended to save travel money or would it be difficult to maintain enthusiasm/perform well?

Members don't see this ad.

If you did all six Chicago or NYC schools in a short time, I think that would burn you out, but back to back is nothing.
So 3 with some traveling in between should be fine? And is it alright to ask a school to reschedule when I would be in the area?

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine that actually getting interviews at two adjacent schools will be harder than doing them.

Give yourself a day off in between to recuperate.

Reactions: 1 users
So 3 with some traveling in between should be fine? And is it alright to ask a school to reschedule when I would be in the area?
It's okay to ask but don't count on it happening. Some schools are open to it and some are not. Do a search of "in the area requests". I know there have been threads about it. Good luck.

If a particular school was so up its own ass that they were not willing to accommodate something like "Hey, I will be in X city on Y date, would it be possible to interview somewhere around then?" I would begin to seriously consider if I wanted to attend that school...

Obviously it is different if your request is outside of their interviewing period, but I find it hard to believe schools wouldn't accommodate that sort of thing where possible.

It's okay to ask but don't count on it happening. Some schools are open to it and some are not. Do a search of "in the area requests". I know there have been threads about it. Good luck.
Those threads are asking before the interview invite, which I think is a bit conceited. I emailed my school after II, let's see what happens!
If a particular school was so up its own ass that they were not willing to accommodate something like "Hey, I will be in X city on Y date, would it be possible to interview somewhere around then?" I would begin to seriously consider if I wanted to attend that school...

Obviously it is different if your request is outside of their interviewing period, but I find it hard to believe schools wouldn't accommodate that sort of thing where possible.
or their interview day might be full! Either way no harm trying

Reactions: 1 user
I had one set of back to back interviews, both MMI. I chose to set them up this way in order to save money on plane tickets and miss the least amount of class possible while traveling. I basically flew to the first one the night before, interviewed the next day, flew out the following evening, interviewed the next morning, and flew back to school that night, which means I only missed two days of class and had three plane rides, not four.

I do not think that this was exceedingly difficult or stressful. Interviews aren't meant to be stressful anyway, even MMI, so as long as you take one step at a time and conserve your energy (however you do so), you will be totally fine.

On the whole, I think it's a good idea.

I had one set of back to back interviews, both MMI. I chose to set them up this way in order to save money on plane tickets and miss the least amount of class possible while traveling. I basically flew to the first one the night before, interviewed the next day, flew out the following evening, interviewed the next morning, and flew back to school that night, which means I only missed two days of class and had three plane rides, not four.

I do not think that this was exceedingly difficult or stressful. Interviews aren't meant to be stressful anyway, even MMI, so as long as you take one step at a time and conserve your energy (however you do so), you will be totally fine.

On the whole, I think it's a good idea.
Yup of they let me reschedule I can knock out all 3 in a week. So much money and time saved

Reactions: 1 users
So say I am doing a few ny schools back to back. Is cab the best/efficient way to travel??

So say I am doing a few ny schools back to back. Is cab the best/efficient way to travel??

It depends on which schools, and where you will be staying. Tell us where and when the interviews are and we can advise you appropriately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! Try to say at a hotel in Manhattan. They are quite close to each other, both on the east side, 1st avenue, Cornell is on 70th street, NYU on 33rd street. It's about a 30 minute walk or less from one to the other, I believe. ( but wear comfortable shoes) .
From the airport, there's a special train that links to the subway that can get you into Manhattan, but personally, I would spend the money on a taxi to get into Manhattan. Look for hotels and get back to us with choices. Hotels in Queens are probably cheaper, but I would stay in Manhattan to make it easier to get to the interviews.

Nice! Try to say at a hotel in Manhattan. They are quite close to each other, both on the east side, 1st avenue, Cornell is on 70th street, NYU on 33rd street. It's about a 30 minute walk or less from one to the other, I believe. ( but wear comfortable shoes) .
From the airport, there's a special train that links to the subway that can get you into Manhattan, but personally, I would spend the money on a taxi to get into Manhattan. Look for hotels and get back to us with choices. Hotels in Queens are probably cheaper, but I would stay in Manhattan to make it easier to get to the interviews.
Thank you! I don't think I can afford anywhere in Manhattan :D I'll look into Queens.

There are reasonable hotels in New York if you look around!

There are several new hotels on 32nd between 5th and 6th Ave.

That would be a pretty good location, given where the interviews are. You could walk or take a taxi to NYU, and take a taxi to Cornell.

Do you have the dates yet? Let us know when you'll be there and we'll make hotel suggestions. Even if money is tight, you'll be better off staying in Manhattan. First of all, that's probably where you'll be living for 4 years, so you'll get a taste of what it's like. Plus, the risk of being late and /or frazzled for your interviews, plus the cost of traveling into Manhattan, makes the extra cost, if any, worthwhile. You'll be spending about $200k on tuition, and already spent thousands on applications. A couple of hundred more, spent directly in support of two top school interviews, is worth the extra expense.

I did residency in NYC. Took the subway all the time. Rarely if ever had a problem.

When interviewing for residency I did Sat: hopkins, Sun: Miami, Mon and Tues: northwestern, Wed: Cincinnati, Fri: Mayo.

The traveling was tougher than the interviews.

That would be a pretty good location, given where the interviews are. You could walk or take a taxi to NYU, and take a taxi to Cornell.

Do you have the dates yet? Let us know when you'll be there and we'll make hotel suggestions. Even if money is tight, you'll be better off staying in Manhattan. First of all, that's probably where you'll be living for 4 years, so you'll get a taste of what it's like. Plus, the risk of being late and /or frazzled for your interviews, plus the cost of traveling into Manhattan, makes the extra cost, if any, worthwhile. You'll be spending about $200k on tuition, and already spent thousands on applications. A couple of hundred more, spent directly in support of two top school interviews, is worth the extra expense.
I'm still working on dates, but they will definitely be consecutive. You make a good point about doing everything to reduce stress on interview day!

Usually cornell has student hosts if need be
hmm didn't see anything about hosts in the email but maybe I missed something.

I did residency in NYC. Took the subway all the time. Rarely if ever had a problem.

When interviewing for residency I did Sat: hopkins, Sun: Miami, Mon and Tues: northwestern, Wed: Cincinnati, Fri: Mayo.

The traveling was tougher than the interviews.
I would risk looking like a zombie by the fifth interview lol. How did you feel about Northwestern's interview day?

Last edited:
Do not rent a car in New York! In New England it can make sense but not in Manhattan!

Rather than a taxi, I strongly recommend the New York Airport Shuttle: http://www.nycairporter.com/ Much cheaper than a cab and free wi-fi!

Google Maps has a directions using mass transit option (icon looks like the front of a bus or tram) that is very helpful, you can even indicate what time you want to leave OR what time you want to arrive.

See about student hosts at those schools... stay with one the night before the first interview and with the other the following overnight. It will give you a chance to see the subsidized student housing which is de rigueur in NYC because housing is so expensive. Alternately, I'd suggest a hotel midway between 33rd and 70th on the East Side. Watch out for Sept 15th which is when the UN opens for the year and traffic is insane and everything will be booked. Also watch out for Sept 24-25 when the Pope visits Manhattan as that is going to be a traffic nightmare, too.

Reactions: 4 users
Take the subway between schools. There is no reason to pay more for the taxi and deal with traffic when you are going between Cornell and NYU. Do not walk it (???? why was that even suggested idk). The subway is very reliable.

Take the subway between schools. There is no reason to pay more for the taxi and deal with traffic when you are going between Cornell and NYU. Do not walk it (???? why was that even suggested idk). The subway is very reliable.

The M15 bus might be better as it avoids the long walks west to the subway and east to the school.
http://www.mta.info/

Thank you! I don't think I can afford anywhere in Manhattan :D I'll look into Queens.
Donut, I would try AirBnB if you can't stay with a student host the whole time.

Also, while I would definitely recommend the NYC subway over taxis for most trips, if you are running late and really need to hop in a car you should check Uber first. It's usually cheaper than a cab (usually because it's actually really expensive during surge pricing).

Appreciate all the responses guys! I think I found somewhere close to both schools :) Not the cheapest, but like you all advised, it's better to be safe than get stuck in traffic and be late

Honestly never taken the subway before. You recommend it for a morning interview?

If you haven't taken the subway in NYC before, I would not recommend you taking it the first time you get here on the morning of your interview... Most people have a lot of trouble getting their metro cards read by the turnstiles when they've never used it.

The good thing about NYC schools is that they tend to be very forgiving if you're late because they realize traffic can be bad... It happened to a couple people I interviewed with when I interviewed at some of the NYC schools, and the admissions offices all seemed to be very understanding. Plus, they'll call you and be like "Umm, are you stuck in traffic?"

If you haven't taken the subway in NYC before, I would not recommend you taking it the first time you get here on the morning of your interview... Most people have a lot of trouble getting their metro cards read by the turnstiles when they've never used it.
Yeah definitely not taking subway even though it's cheaper/faster; I'll save that experience for a later time!

This is correct. And it delays you by what, 30 seconds? I am always a tourist in New York and 30 seconds is a longggggggggggggggggggg time to figure it out. If you can ****ing get an II to an elite NYC med school, you can figure out how to use a MetroCard.

The neuroticism in this thread is outrageous. No need to be so afraid of the subway, people. It is not. hard. at. all. Ride it once the night before your interview and you are all set.

This is correct. And it delays you by what, 30 seconds? I am always a tourist in New York and 30 seconds is a longggggggggggggggggggg time to figure it out. If you can ****ing get an II to an elite NYC med school, you can figure out how to use a MetroCard.

The neuroticism in this thread is outrageous. No need to be so afraid of the subway, people. It is not. hard. at. all. Ride it once the night before your interview and you are all set.
haha I think s/he just meant it would add unnecessary stress if any of these little things go wrong. It's better to be neurotic/over plan everything on such an important day :)

It's better to be neurotic/over plan everything on such an important day
Eh, no it's not. There's a fine line between planning and being neurotic. Avoiding the subway on purpose because you think it'll slow you down is overly neurotic and makes no sense. But whatever, your money and time. Good luck

I guess after using the subway daily for a few years you forget how daunting it can be for a first timer.

Anyway, do use the mass transit advice given here. For example, I can get from anywhere in Manhattan to Laguardia for under $3.00...in less than an hour or two.

As always, I agree with LizzyM above. Definitely stay with students if possible. Not only will you save money , but it's a great way to get good information about the school. However, if that option is not available, I would stay in a hotel. I would not go with AirBnB. Again, I would try to eliminate random problems as much as possible. Go with a known quantity for a bit more money. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Taking the bus is a great suggestion, but for trips of a mile or so, if the bus isn't there, walking will often be faster than waiting for the bus, especially if there's traffic.

If you do plan on taking a bus, make sure that the bus you want is listed as stopping at the bus stop you're waiting at, and be sure to get on the right bus. Even the buses can be complicated.

If you do walk, make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes, or else wear running shoes and bring your nice shoes in a leather portfolio/purse. That's what many women do in Manhattan.

Taking the subway might take you out of your way, and you might end up walking more just getting to and from the subway stations. You definitely don't want to try to learn how to use the subway system while trying to get to an interviews.

Once you know when you will be there, and get a hotel ( ask me, Gonnif, or LizzyM to help you select one ) we will be able to tell you how to get around. But if you stay in any of the locations that they already suggested, walking, the bus, or a taxi will be the best way to get to your interviews.

Needless to say, you absolutely shouldn't consider renting a car. That's a terrible suggestion. Don't even think about trying to drive in Manhattan!

As always, I agree with LizzyM above. Definitely stay with students if possible. Not only will you save money , but it's a great way to get good information about the school. However, if that option is not available, I would stay in a hotel. I would not go with AirBnB. Again, I would try to eliminate random problems as much as possible. Go with a known quantity for a bit more money. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Taking the bus is a great suggestion, but for trips of a mile or so, if the bus isn't there, walking will often be faster than waiting for the bus, especially if there's traffic.

If you do plan on taking a bus, make sure that the bus you want is listed as stopping at the bus stop you're waiting at, and be sure to get on the right bus. Even the buses can be complicated.

If you do walk, make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes, or else wear running shoes and bring your nice shoes in a leather portfolio/purse. That's what many women do in Manhattan.

Taking the subway might take you out of your way, and you might end up walking more just getting to and from the subway stations. You definitely don't want to try to learn how to use the subway system while trying to get to an interviews.

Once you know when you will be there, and get a hotel ( ask me, Gonnif, or LizzyM to help you select one ) we will be able to tell you how to get around. But if you stay in any of the locations that they already suggested, walking, the bus, or a taxi will be the best way to get to your interviews.

Needless to say, you absolutely shouldn't consider renting a car. That's a terrible suggestion. Don't even think about trying to drive in Manhattan!
Thanks for this! Yup, I've decided to go with taxi - I'm looking at a hotel that's quite close to both schools, so even with traffic, shouldn't be a problem. I think I can take a shuttle or something from the airport to the hotel. Good point about the shoes ~

One comment - just in case you're not from a big city (like LA or Chi or Hou or Mia), don't carry a lot of cash or if you do, hide it on your person.

If I am walking in Manhattan, I keep it in my shoe or over the shoulder boulder holder ;)

You're going to be nervous but one thing to make sure you do when it's all done, know who is around you; where your surroundings are, etc especially after the interviews are over.

Agree with everyone else on renting car. I don't even like going with taxis - those guys are cray cray cray!

LAST? GOOD LUCK!!! :) :) :)

One comment - just in case you're not from a big city (like LA or Chi or Hou or Mia), don't carry a lot of cash or if you do, hide it on your person.

If I am walking in Manhattan, I keep it in my shoe or over the shoulder boulder holder ;)

You're going to be nervous but one thing to make sure you do when it's all done, know who is around you; where your surroundings are, etc especially after the interviews are over.

Agree with everyone else on renting car. I don't even like going with taxis - those guys are cray cray cray!

LAST? GOOD LUCK!!! :) :) :)
haha thank you!!
(also--you really keep money in your shoe?)

I am considering this right now for Boston and NYC. However, I am leaning towards scheduling them separately as I want a chance to be in the respective cities for a bit of time and not be rushed.

Don't let us make you too nervous. NY is a great city, and you'll probably have a great time. It's quite safe, although until you know your way around, I wouldn't walk around at night alone. Most people are actually quite friendly towards tourists and will offer to help if you look lost. If you can, get over to see the Metropolitan Museum, and Central Park.

NY is an acquired taste. Try to get a feel for whether or not you want to spend 4 years there. If you have any interest in living there for a while, being a student is a great opportunity to do so, as it won't cost much more than going to school elsewhere, and both of those schools are really well situated in the city, as is Mt. Sinai as well. However, NY is not for everyone. It can take some getting used to. Everyone is in a hurry, they walk fast, and people will seem to be brusque and rude, but it's mostly that there's less time for small talk ( plus, they are brusque and rude ). It's crowded and noisy most of the time, although Central Park is wonderful on the weekends. So do try to walk around there if you can, and even spend an extra day there if you can ( Go downtown to the new World Trade Center, the aforementioned Metropolitan Museum, etc. ) You could see a lot in a day or two, and get a feel for whether or not you want to live there for med school. If you will have some extra time there, come back here and ask for suggestions on what to see, or PM me.

That said, I'm from NY, and lived and worked in Manhattan for 7 years, and I loved it. My whole family is still there, and my siblings live in Manhattan, but I wouldn't want to live there again.

Hey all-
Are back to back interviews recommended to save travel money or would it be difficult to maintain enthusiasm/perform well?
if you end up doing back to back interviews, listen to this to pump you up

Don't let us make you too nervous. NY is a great city, and you'll probably have a great time. It's quite safe, although until you know your way around, I wouldn't walk around at night alone. Most people are actually quite friendly towards tourists and will offer to help if you look lost. If you can, get over to see the Metropolitan Museum, and Central Park.

NY is an acquired taste. Try to get a feel for whether or not you want to spend 4 years there. If you have any interest in living there for a while, being a student is a great opportunity to do so, as it won't cost much more than going to school elsewhere, and both of those schools are really well situated in the city, as is Mt. Sinai as well. However, NY is not for everyone. It can take some getting used to. Everyone is in a hurry, they walk fast, and people will seem to be brusque and rude, but it's mostly that there's less time for small talk ( plus, they are brusque and rude ). It's crowded and noisy most of the time, although Central Park is wonderful on the weekends. So do try to walk around there if you can, and even spend an extra day there if you can ( Go downtown to the new World Trade Center, the aforementioned Metropolitan Museum, etc. ) You could see a lot in a day or two, and get a feel for whether or not you want to live there for med school. If you will have some extra time there, come back here and ask for suggestions on what to see, or PM me.

That said, I'm from NY, and lived and worked in Manhattan for 7 years, and I loved it. My whole family is still there, and my siblings live in Manhattan, but I wouldn't want to live there again.
Yeah, I can see how it would take time to get used to the fast pace environment/noise/crowd but I'm honestly looking forward to living in a city for med school. Thanks for those suggestions--I'll have to check out some of those places since I am going all the way there. Definitely excited to see everything!!