stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
1,087
3
48
NY
Status
Medical Student
My hard drive died last week and I lost a lot of data since I did not have it backed up. I've wasted a lot of time setting up a new hard drvie with OS, searching for links that I use for the MCAT, premed, school, etc. Luckily I posted a lot of links I needed on SDN. I'm glad it happened now and not a couple weeks from the exam.

So if you have files you need for the MCAT, "favorites" list on your browser, mp3 files etc. on your PC please back it up.
 

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
333
0
Status
stoleyerscrubz said:
My hard drive died last week and I lost a lot of data since I did not have it backed up. I've wasted a lot of time setting up a new hard drvie with OS, searching for links that I use for the MCAT, premed, school, etc. Luckily I posted a lot of links I needed on SDN. I'm glad it happened now and not a couple weeks from the exam.

So if you have files you need for the MCAT, "favorites" list on your browser, mp3 files etc. on your PC please back it up.

hey can someone tell me how to backup stuff ? really nice suggestion stoley! :luck: good luck with the process!
 
T

tunguyen99

tik-tik-clock said:
hey can someone tell me how to backup stuff ? really nice suggestion stoley! :luck: good luck with the process!
If your pc has a CD-RW, then you can copy your files/folder to a CD using Roxio Easy Creator (there are more softwares to use other than Roxio) or Zip Drive...But do back up your hard drive once in a while to avoid a lot of headache later. Good luck!
 

natureboy

that's the bottom line
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
197
0
Know Your Role Blvd & Jabroni Drive
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Acronis TrueImage is a very good program for making images of your drive. If you are like me and have a lot of programs and stuff installed, then you can make an image of your entire hard drive and stick it on several CD's or DVD's. Once you make an image of your drive, all you have to do next time your HD crashes is reboot and stick in the CD or DVD and follow the on screen instructions. This usually takes less than 30 minutes as compared to the hours of reinstalling every little program. When you restore using the image, the state of your computer will be as it was when you first created the image.

Hope that helps.
 
OP
stoleyerscrubz

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
1,087
3
48
NY
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to look into this. I was considering setting up a RAID array but buying a new OS and hard drive set me back big time. Thank god I already paid for my MCAT exam.


natureboy said:
Acronis TrueImage is a very good program for making images of your drive.
 

vincikai

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
189
0
Status
stoleyerscrubz said:
My hard drive died last week and I lost a lot of data since I did not have it backed up. I've wasted a lot of time setting up a new hard drvie with OS, searching for links that I use for the MCAT, premed, school, etc. Luckily I posted a lot of links I needed on SDN. I'm glad it happened now and not a couple weeks from the exam.

So if you have files you need for the MCAT, "favorites" list on your browser, mp3 files etc. on your PC please back it up.

speaking of useful links :D any chance that you can post out all the links? i just want to know i got them all ;] :idea:
 

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
9,295
2,575
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
since hard drives have gotten really cheap, what i would recommend is just installing a 2nd one in your computer, and start dragging documents/files over to the 2nd hard drive.

I think the odds of both hard drives failing is pretty slim...about on par with the odds of you sitting on the CD you just burned and breaking it :p
 

natureboy

that's the bottom line
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
197
0
Know Your Role Blvd & Jabroni Drive
Status
Resident [Any Field]
confettiflyer said:
since hard drives have gotten really cheap, what i would recommend is just installing a 2nd one in your computer, and start dragging documents/files over to the 2nd hard drive.

I think the odds of both hard drives failing is pretty slim...about on par with the odds of you sitting on the CD you just burned and breaking it :p
Well, you do have a point, but I think "obtaining" Arconis TI is cheaper and almost nearly free at that...ahem... Total gains = price of extra hard drive - $0 which equals extra money left over to spend on a better suit for interviews if you catch my drift. ;)