Backbreaking hospitalist job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehena

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend needs a way out of a new hire position where he practices in Mid-Atlantic region working for one of the Hospitalist behemoth right-out of residency. He enjoys the clinical aspect of hospitalist medicine and doesn't deal much with mundane non-clinical tasks of daytime since he is working Swing Shift. But he feels very exhausted from admitting 18plus patients on daily basis during 12hr shift and tired of constant nagging from colleagues and leadership for trivial stuff.

Which Mid-Atlantic state has plenty of hospitalist positions with reasonable salary? i.e less saturated.
How one searches and find a hospitalist job not associated with a large national company?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My friend needs a way out of a new hire position where he practices in Mid-Atlantic region working for one of the Hospitalist behemoth right-out of residency. He enjoys the clinical aspect of hospitalist medicine and doesn't deal much with mundane non-clinical tasks of daytime since he is working Swing Shift. But he feels very exhausted from admitting 18plus patients on daily basis during 12hr shift and tired of constant nagging from colleagues and leadership for trivial stuff.

Which Mid-Atlantic state has plenty of hospitalist positions with reasonable salary? i.e less saturated.
How one searches and find a hospitalist job not associated with a large national company?
Call the physician recruiter for hospitals that he wants to work for...but have to tell you, if he continue to work swing, he will have to deal with high number of admissions...it just the way swing is...which is why I hate swing...prefer nights over swing....he needs to decide the crap he is willing to deal with and find the place that works with that.

Reactions: 2 users
Networking is key. find positions that are not advertised i.e those desirable jobs that have good WL balance and good leadership. He made mistake once, dont make it again

Members don't see this ad :)
Money

Cush

Choose 2 out of 3.

Reactions: 7 users
Go with cush + location, and then find a way to make more money (inside and outside work).

Go with cush + location, and then find a way to make more money (inside and outside work).

That's just money plus location with extra steps.

Reactions: 3 users
Well
rick.jpg

• Haha
So you're saying I got all 3? I thought we had to pick 2?

Again, if choosing - then I'd choose: CUSH (JOB) + LOCATION.

Money can always be made afterwards no matter where you are. I took a cush position (with a lower capped salary), in an ideal location.

It was then up to me to make money by either picking up extra shifts, real estate investments, private equity investments, and stocks.
(I ended up going heavy on the latter options, and stopped picking up extra shifts within 2 years of becoming an attending - no longer worth my time.)

So you're saying I got all 3? I thought we had to pick 2?

Again, if choosing - then I'd choose: CUSH (JOB) + LOCATION.

Money can always be made afterwards no matter where you are. I took a cush position (with a lower capped salary), in an ideal location.

It was then up to me to make money by either picking up extra shifts, real estate investments, private equity investments, and stocks.
(I ended up going heavy on the latter options, and stopped picking up extra shifts within 2 years of becoming an attending - no longer worth my time.)
Why did you even become a doctor then if you could have done that the whole time? :unsure:

Why did you even become a doctor then if you could have done that the whole time? :unsure:

I wasn't sure and didn't know I'd be lucky enough to do all of this back then.
At the time, it aligned with my long term goals. Help people out, kept my interest, but also the easiest route to a $250k+ salary (accredited investor status).
I've posted that I once interviewed with McKinsey write out of medical school. I was not certain about clinical medicine.

Money

Cush

Choose 2 out of 3.
This is the way

I think the only time you should choose one of these big cities and such is if you're young and compromising pay for having better fun in life. However, if you are >35, it's a million times better to get a good-paying cush job in a ****ty location

This is the way

I think the only time you should choose one of these big cities and such is if you're young and compromising pay for having better fun in life. However, if you are >35, it's a million times better to get a good-paying cush job in a ****ty location
Some people want to live close to family... It can be a tough decision.

I understand why people have been saying here that you can't have all 3. I have friend that are getting 300k+/yr in the midwest while I can't find a gig that pays 250k/yr in a desirable location in the southeast

Last edited:
Some people want to live close to family... It can be a tough decision.

I understand why people have been saying here that you can't have all 3. I have friend that are getting 300k+/yr in the midwest while I can't find a gig that pays 250k/yr in a desirable location in the southeast
Sorry to revive this. Are the examples posted here not attainable?