Backed into a corner by residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice here. I’m a categorical pgy2 in a new general surgery program. I’ve had attendings comment on my financial background and personal background and hold a prejudice against me since I was an intern. I have been told by faculty that “I should ask my parents to buy me a different car”. I was pulled off my vascular surgery rotation during my second year due to prejudice from the attendings. My program put me on remediation this year due to a small HIPAA violation on social media. I worked extremely hard, and got many positive comments and evaluations from attendings. My PD recently told me the other faculty want to punish me for the HIPPA violation even more than the initial punishment I was given and the program is forcing me to repeat my PGY2 year on remediation.

I have objective data from my evals showing I’m at level or ahead of my peers. My division director told me what was happening with me was wrong and I needed to take my case up to national. He was helping me with everything until he unexpectedly resigned and is nowhere to be found. My PD and DIO refuse to listen to me and told me their decision is final. Our GME resident manual states you can only put a resident on remediation for 90 days. The DIO basically told me the CCC will meet every 90 days to renew my remediation and make me repeat the entire year.

They did say, however, if I leave the program and transfer to another program, they will state I completed PGY2 so I can transfer into a PGY3 position. I don’t feel like the attendings will ever give me a fair shot in this program and feel very uncomfortable working with those attendings and residents. I have a month left to figure out my next move. Should I try to get legal representation? Should I contact ACGME? My program is a new program and we have an ACGME site visit coming up in a few months. If I stay in this program, my chances of transferring to another residency program will diminish significantly. But if I leave a categorical residency, what are my odds of finding an open pgy3 position?

I’ve been struggling with this and need some perspective. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is really no such thing as a “small” HIPAA violation, especially when it comes to social media. Beyond violating a patient’s trust, it makes the hospital vulnerable to large fines and lawsuits. I think you’d have a tough time transferring with that on your record.

My personal choice if I were in your shoes would be to try to get through it.

You can try to find an open spot but that is unlikely to happen in a month. Most PDs have filled any open spot they might have had at this point in the year. I would also shut down every social media account you might have.

You need to show you are taking this seriously and show some contrition. One of the Six core competencies is professionalism so they can easily show you are not meeting that milestone with this transgression.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I also agree that HIPAA issues, especially if it involves social media, are a really big deal. You could have easily been terminated over that alone.

If your performance is actually fine and the only issue is the HIPAA thing, then I agree with you that repeating the year seems excessive. Fixing professionalism issues doesn't usually require more training time (unless someone is right at the end of training). Instead, I would have put you on remediation / probation with a warning that any further professionalism problem, even minor issues, could result in immediate termination.

But what I think, and what you think, are meaningless. Your PD has decided to extend your training. You may be able to appeal this (your program's policies should describe this), but if the DIO is already agreeing with the PD I don't think this is going to get you very far. There's nothing to tell the ACGME -- the program is fully within it's rights to make you repeat the year over this, and maybe if we had the full details we'd agree. Also, perhaps your performance isn't quite as good as you think -- I've had residents whose average score is high, but whose performance is problematic, usually something that only comes up intermittently.

You are welcome to get a lawyer. Sometimes, doing so will scare the program into changing their plan, but as mentioned although you may feel this is unfair they can certainly demand it. You made some vague comments about people commenting on your personal and financial background -- that might be illegal discrimination depending on the details.

Transferring as a PGY-3 in surgery is difficult. Doing so from a new program that no one knows the quality of is more so, and with any sign of clinical problems even more so. Chances are you'll be repeating your PGY-2 in most cases. Getting a new PGY-2 or 3 spot at this time of the year will be very difficult.

If you lose your current spot, you may never get another surgical position.

EDIT: Looking at your post history, I see that you're an IMG and have a Step 1 of 205. This makes any chance of getting another surgical spot even smaller. You need to make this position work. You're unlikely to get another chance.

Reactions: 18 users
keep your head down, do your work, and suck it up to get to the end...you have a professionalism ding against you...the fact that you think that the HIPAA violation is small, is concerning.

you don't have a lot of wiggle room...want to be a surgeon in the US, stop fighting your program...as an IMG, GS is competitive...as mentioned by not aPD, it will be difficult to near impossible for you to get another spot somewhere else...and your program knows that...why else would they offer up support, they know they will not have to give.

Reactions: 2 users
HIPAA violations are a big deal. You can be justifibly terminated on that alone. Keep your head down and just grind.

Reactions: 3 users
Forgive me for being cynical, OP, but having seen way too many threads like these, what are you omitting?

Tip of the iceberg syndrome is real
In this case very possibly nothing. HIPAA violations are enough to merit pretty much any punishment.

Reactions: 7 users
I appreciate the feedback.

I am in no way stating the HIPAA violation wasn’t a big deal. I understand I was wrong and have definitely learned my lesson. I’m just upset about the transgression of actions in that the program gave me a punishment, I served that punishment and now they are deciding that wasn’t enough and want to punish me further. My program also has not secured a vascular surgery rotation for me and do not know if I will be given that rotation even in my repeat year. Isn’t it their responsibility to make sure I get a proper education?

You've edited your initial post.

Not sure what anyone meant by you "take your case up to national". That's really bad advice. The ACGME does not get involved with individual resident issues.

Your vascular surgery rotation is the least of your worries. You are going to get fired if you make waves, complain, or have any further problems during your training. In fact, if you had problems with the faculty on that rotation you're better off avoiding it.

I'm going to repeat this again, so it's clear: You're at very high risk of being fired for the next problem, regardless of how small or insignificant you may think it is.

If you lose this spot, you will not get another surgery position, and perhaps not any position at all.

Do whatever they say. Have a good attitude about it. Be the best resident you can be.

I too worry that there are other issues, and that your performance is not as good as you state it is. You tell us that people are prejudiced against you -- which is certainly possible. Or, your performance is sub par. Or both - and faculty are blaming / explaining your poor performance on your background.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
We understand where you are coming from. The crime does not necessarily match the punishment. Whenever a story does not make sense on here, there is always something left out. Maybe you are leaving details or you yourself do not truly understand why they came to that decision. Really talk with your program director and try to understand where they are coming from so this situation does not happen again.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate the feedback.

I am in no way stating the HIPAA violation wasn’t a big deal. I understand I was wrong and have definitely learned my lesson. I’m just upset about the transgression of actions in that the program gave me a punishment, I served that punishment and now they are deciding that wasn’t enough and want to punish me further. My program also has not secured a vascular surgery rotation for me and do not know if I will be given that rotation even in my repeat year. Isn’t it their responsibility to make sure I get a proper education?

It wouldn’t be unusual not to rotate on vascular every year. Where I was a fellow, the gen surg residents only rotated on vascular as PGY1 & PGY4.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in no way stating the HIPAA violation wasn’t a big deal.
I mean, you literally tried to say it’s a “small HIPAA violation” to make yourself sound better.

I agree with everything that has been said, you’re extremely fortunate that you weren’t immediately fired. All I would add is that the spotlight effect is real—once the program has its eyes on you, suddenly every little transgression that might have gotten glossed over gets amplified. This can result in a vicious spiral where the increased scrutiny results in further “deficiencies” discovered which can ultimately lead to you failing remediation. You’re in very grave danger of losing your spot, and you will never find another one, so you need to put the idea that you could move on to another program out of your head. It’s a fantasy to think you’re ever going to get another chance if this position doesn’t work out for you.

It is entirely possible that if we knew all of the facts of the case we would agree that they are overreacting and that the punishment doesn’t fit the crime, but it also doesn’t matter at this point. I don’t know what all of this business about you previously having attendings have a prejudice against you based on your background is, but your program basically has you over a barrel—if they ever get to the point where they decide you need to be terminated, they are going to win because they can always point to the HIPAA violation and say you’re unprofessional, and that will be nearly impossible for you to beat. So your only course of action here is to put your head down, actually be the best resident at your level, express profound remorse whenever this HIPAA thing comes up, and make it clear you’re super grateful for the opportunity to remediate.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
And quit talking about your personal background... the only way they find out this information is if you talk about it.

• Love
If you do get fired, there's always "residency rehabilitation" programs. The people above offer "Its your fault" advice and it is your fault...the above don't seem supportive. I would recommend finding a residency clerkship program online ("residency rehab") and hire another doctor to talk to your PD to figure out what you can do. If your PD is one of the following (stubborn, malignant, lazy) then I would recommend transferring out when possible. Resigning is always better than a non-contract renewal. If you have to start over, then you start over. There are always second chances in residency world. You just have to find the right people willing to support you. Your choice to listen to the people above that play the biased "blame game."

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
If you do get fired, there's always "residency rehabilitation" programs. The people above offer "Its your fault" advice and it is your fault...the above don't seem supportive. I would recommend finding a residency clerkship program online ("residency rehab") and hire another doctor to talk to your PD to figure out what you can do. If your PD is one of the following (stubborn, malignant, lazy) then I would recommend transferring out when possible. Resigning is always better than a non-contract renewal. If you have to start over, then you start over. There are always second chances in residency world. You just have to find the right people willing to support you. Your choice to listen to the people above that play the biased "blame game."
What on earth are you talking about?

Nobody is playing the "blame game," and in fact a few of us specifically said that sometimes the punishment doesn't fit the crime. But that doesn't change the fact that if he washes out of a surgical program as an IMG with a step 1 score of 205, it is going to be very difficult to find another position. There are, in fact, NOT always second chances in the residency world. So by far his easiest path to actually practicing surgery for his career is to make the position he already has work out.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
The blame game is still being played though.

The blame game is still being played though.
HIPAA violation on social media...it can get him fired and it IS his fault...not blame game, its stating the facts...the fact that his program didn't immediately terminate him is his 2nd chance...he needs to be grateful for the chance and make it work.

• Love

What in the world is a residency rehab program?

The OP committed a HIPAA violation on social media and then came here to tell us how "small" it was. IMO, he should be grateful he still has any kind of future/job in medicine.

The OP committed a HIPAA violation on social media and then came here to tell us how "small" it was. IMO, he should be grateful he still has any kind of future/job in medicine.

Google the term. You get http://www.residencyrehab.com/

Self explanatory. This is the advice most people who are dismissed for whatever reason (their fault/environment/etc) turn to. There are resources to help the person GET BACK into residency.

I will be the bad guy. OP, you are not going to get another shot at GS with that score and IMG. SO, you better make this one work and do whatever they want. They have the power and you do not. I am sure in your mind they are at fault and its not your fault. But, the bottom line is you need to finish residency and specifically this one if you want to be surgeon, bend over and take it like a champ. :love: :love: . They do not need to complete a residency and will come to work well after you are working elsewhere more than likely outside of medicine. Welcome to residency!!

What on earth are you talking about?

Nobody is playing the "blame game," and in fact a few of us specifically said that sometimes the punishment doesn't fit the crime. But that doesn't change the fact that if he washes out of a surgical program as an IMG with a step 1 score of 205, it is going to be very difficult to find another position. There are, in fact, NOT always second chances in the residency world. So by far his easiest path to actually practicing surgery for his career is to make the position he already has work out.

If it makes you feel better to say you're the only compassionate person here, go ahead. We're not being mean or rude, we're just trying to make the reality of the situation clear.

Read past posts you all comment on. The HIPAA thing, yes it is severe...but we don't know the circumstances of what led to it. Most comments that I have observed boil down to "your fault...you can't work in medicine anymore." Instead of belittling the person...can't we suggest any alternatives for the person to do? Transfer, resign but have the support of the PD...something like that? I'm apologize for my candor with my posts but there has to be something else asides "your fault...you can't work in medicine anymore"

I will be the bad guy. OP, you are not going to get another shot at GS with that score and IMG. SO, you better make this one work and do whatever they want. They have the power and you do not. I am sure in your mind they are at fault and its not your fault. But, the bottom line is you need to finish residency and specifically this one if you want to be surgeon, bend over and take it like a champ. :love: :love: . They do not need to complete a residency and will come to work well after you are working elsewhere more than likely outside of medicine. Welcome to residency!!

See what you can do OP...but if this doesn't work out...then there is always "rehab" into another specialty.

Google the term. You get Residency Rehab - Consulting, Residency Termination

Self explanatory. This is the advice most people who are dismissed for whatever reason (their fault/environment/etc) turn to. There are resources to help the person GET BACK into residency.

Your advice for hiring someone else (another doctor) to speak with your PD is not likely to go over well. It's a waste of money for the OP to do. He needs to buckle up, head down, and don't rock the boat. This is likely his only chance to be a surgeon and even moving to another field is going to be difficult with his red flags.

Read past posts you all comment on. The HIPAA thing, yes it is severe...but we don't know the circumstances of what led to it. Most comments that I have observed boil down to "your fault...you can't work in medicine anymore." Instead of belittling the person...can't we suggest any alternatives for the person to do? Transfer, resign but have the support of the PD...something like that? I'm apologize for my candor with my posts but there has to be something else asides "your fault...you can't work in medicine anymore"
I'm not sure how more plainly we can put this. It doesn't matter if the OP is at fault or not, the reality is that his program holds the power. Nobody is saying that "you can't work in medicine anymore," in fact we want him to take full advantage of this second chance he is being given.

Any of the options that you suggested would be literal career suicide compared to the much easier route of just putting your head down, doing whatever is asked of him, and graduating for the program he is already in.

Reactions: 6 users
Google the term. You get Residency Rehab - Consulting, Residency Termination

Hooooooboy. I actually just read through the entire “My Story” section of that website. If you think that story is something to hold up as a torch to freedom for residents in difficult circumstances, I don’t think anything we say can convince you otherwise.

Also, amphetamines are bad.

The OP still has a residency spot. Honestly if they didn’t fire them straight off for the HIPAA violation, then they have a decent shot if getting through if they just keep their head down and there aren’t anymore major errors.

I would NOT try to find another spot In surgery. If the OP wants to be a surgeon, this is their best chance, given IMG status and scores and the HIPAA issue. I’m not saying that is right or wrong, I am saying that IS the situation.

Trying to go to OccMed etc might be an option but I don’t get the sense that the OP has given up on wanting to be a surgeon and THEY STILL HAVE A SPOT now.

I’m not sure why you are trying to convince the OP that they should move specialties right now.

Your advice for hiring someone else (another doctor) to speak with your PD is not likely to go over well. It's a waste of money for the OP to do. He needs to buckle up, head down, and don't rock the boat. This is likely his only chance to be a surgeon and even moving to another field is going to be difficult with his red flags.
I'm not sure how more plainly we can put this. It doesn't matter if the OP is at fault or not, the reality is that his program holds the power. Nobody is saying that "you can't work in medicine anymore," in fact we want him to take full advantage of this second chance he is being given.

Any of the options that you suggested would be literal career suicide compared to the much easier route of just putting your head down, doing whatever is asked of him, and graduating for the program he is already in.
Hooooooboy. I actually just read through the entire “My Story” section of that website. If you think that story is something to hold up as a torch to freedom for residents in difficult circumstances, I don’t think anything we say can convince you otherwise.

Also, amphetamines are bad.

The OP still has a residency spot. Honestly if they didn’t fire them straight off for the HIPAA violation, then they have a decent shot if getting through if they just keep their head down and there aren’t anymore major errors.

I would NOT try to find another spot In surgery. If the OP wants to be a surgeon, this is their best chance, given IMG status and scores and the HIPAA issue. I’m not saying that is right or wrong, I am saying that IS the situation.

Trying to go to OccMed etc might be an option but I don’t get the sense that the OP has given up on wanting to be a surgeon and THEY STILL HAVE A SPOT now.

I’m not sure why you are trying to convince the OP that they should move specialties right now.
That website hasn’t been updated since 2013 and most of the links on that site don’t work. Where did even pull that one from?

I said if **** really hits the fan. One to blame much?

• Okay...
  • Dislike
@Swampurt I don't think I've ever seen that much bad advice in a single post.
There are no "residency rehabilitation" programs.
The advice from the group is supportive in that they are trying to help the OP see that there aren't other options. Its a bad situation and the OP showed a lack of insight.
Resigning is really no different than being fired in this situation.
There is no starting over without a spot and his chances of getting another spot are low.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I said if **** really hits the fan. One to blame much?

For unclear reasons, you continue to deliberately apply a false label of “blame” to what is generally supportive good advice based on what the situation IS. Not sure what supportive advice would actually mean to you based on your posts. This is like trying to converse with a Russian Bot on Twitter.

Your posts are entirely unsupportive because they provide zero helpful advice to the OP.

Done replying to you.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
That website hasn’t been updated since 2013 and most of the links on that site don’t work. Where did even pull that one from?

Oh they updated the “My Story” portion with a running dialogue. It’s a train wreck and NOT the kind of thing I would advise anyone to emulate.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh they updated the “My Story” portion with a running dialogue. It’s a train wreck and NOT the kind of thing I would advise anyone to emulate.

After all of this time, he still thinks he has a chance at an Ortho spot... 14 years after he graduated medical school. Also, he supposedly was a do or die time to get a residency spot, so he decided on FM and only bothered to apply at one spot. Plus, he didn't give them his supporting documentation that he had?

• Wow
After all of this time, he still thinks he has a chance at an Ortho spot... 14 years after he graduated medical school. Also, he supposedly was a do or die time to get a residency spot, so he decided on FM and only bothered to apply at one spot. Plus, he didn't give them his supporting documentation that he had?

Yeah. Complete. Trainwreck.

I have to admit this made me laugh like an infomercial:

Are you a pediatric resident who has significant interpersonal issues and a HIPAA violation? Easy always "rehab" into PM&R!

Are you a family medicine resident who has a substance problem, crimes against nature, and several firearm violations? Easy always "rehab" into Integrated Plastics!

Are you an ER resident who tactically nuked a small country? Easy always "rehab" into Derm!

but seriously that website

• Haha

Are you a pediatric resident who has significant interpersonal issues and a HIPPA violation? Easy always "rehab" into PM&R!

Are you a family medicine resident who has a substance problem, crimes against nature, and several firearm violations? Easy always "rehab" into Integrated Plastics!

Are you an ER resident who tactically nuked a small country? Easy always "rehab" into Derm!

While that may have been the case in the past for PM&R, that is a thing of the past. PM&R matches 100% for several consecutive years in a row, and has many more times applicants than spots these days. Just saying.

What kind of HIPAA violation did OP have? Maybe I missed it.

So 4-5 million dollars and 6 years down the drain. With that money that resident could have bought up a bunch of clinics and hired doctors, set up a bunch of cosmetic shops, started a VC fund, used whatever MD and limited residency to get a consulting or pharma gig somewhere, invested the money to make millions or just outright retire. dumb on so many levels!

Reactions: 1 user
For unclear reasons, you continue to deliberately apply a false label of “blame” to what is generally supportive good advice based on what the situation IS. Not sure what supportive advice would actually mean to you based on your posts. This is like trying to converse with a Russian Bot on Twitter.

Your posts are entirely unsupportive because they provide zero helpful advice to the OP.

Done replying to you.
Yeah. Complete. Trainwreck.

Are you a pediatric resident who has significant interpersonal issues and a HIPAA violation? Easy always "rehab" into PM&R!

The hell did I just read...
While that may have been the case in the past for PM&R, that is a thing of the past. PM&R matches 100% for several consecutive years in a row, and has many more times applicants than spots these days. Just saying.

What kind of HIPAA violation did OP have? Maybe I missed it.
So 4-5 million dollars and 6 years down the drain. With that money that resident could have bought up a bunch of clinics and hired doctors, set up a bunch of cosmetic shops, started a VC fund, used whatever MD and limited residency to get a consulting or pharma gig somewhere, invested the money to make millions or just outright retire. dumb on so many levels!

Sigh. Someone cannot read apparantly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200601-174432__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200601-174432__01.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 180

Old forum...but scrutiny.

Recent...but scrutiny.

Scrutiny but better advice. I like this one the best.

Scrutiny.

Scrutiny.

I understand that information is needed to understand the situation and provide adequate advice in what to do next...but at least be a little more human? These are people who failed residency because of an unfortunate situation that may or may not be their fault. I know that the guy's website probably crap....but at least he is able to offer advice and navigate this area. Most responses I've seen from past posts are "good luck" to "your fault....kiss your career goodbye." I believe in second chances after people take a while to see what needs to be fixed. Damaged goods can be repaired with the right people.

Old forum...but scrutiny.

Recent...but scrutiny.

Scrutiny but better advice. I like this one the best.

Scrutiny.

Scrutiny.

I understand that information is needed to understand the situation and provide adequate advice in what to do next...but at least be a little more human? These are people who failed residency because of an unfortunate situation that may or may not be their fault. I know that the guy's website probably crap....but at least he is able to offer advice and navigate this area. Most responses I've seen from past posts are "good luck" to "your fault....kiss your career goodbye." I believe in second chances after people take a while to see what needs to be fixed. Damaged goods can be repaired with the right people.

Just because someone gives advice, doesn't mean it is GOOD advice. Bad advice is worse than no advice at all. You have many people in here who have gone through residency and know some of the ins and outs of this process. If your advice is being uniformly panned, there's probably a reason for it.

As for all of these stories you listed, there is ALWAYS another side to the story. The truth is usually never quite as initially posted. Time and time again we see this happen. A story is posted and then little by little the truth is dragged out until the final picture is very different than the initial post. As for your link earlier with something circled, I'm not sure what that's supposed to tell us.

• Love
That there are programs to rehab people back into residency?

Not advertising here but americlerkships helped former residents match.

OP, you were extremely fortunate to land a surgery spot given your situation. You then blew it hard with a hippa violation and were fortunate to not be immediately fired.

they are letting you stay at work and be a surgeon. You should thank them, apologize for the bother, keep your head down (don’t argue about this vascular rotation), never give them a reason to get a bad phone call about you, and graduate so you can be a surgeon

you can still win, don’t mess this up by seeing this situation for anything other than what it is

Read past posts you all comment on. The HIPAA thing, yes it is severe...but we don't know the circumstances of what led to it

You don't need to know the circumstances of what led to it. A HIPAA violation is instant death in medicine. EVERYONE knows this, even those outside of medicine. The OP is lucky to be working.

• Love

It actually isn't self explanatory. I just wasted a half hour reading that nonsense. There wasn't one thing there that even explained what "residency rehab" is, just a bunch of stories about people dismissed from residency and what you should or shouldn't do. Hardly "rehab." I maintain that 99% of people dismissed from residency are rightfully dismissed.

That there are programs to rehab people back into residency?

There are ALWAYS unscrupulous people ready to exploit the desperate. Just because they present it as “compassion and understanding” doesn’t make it a viable option.

OP, put your head down and hang onto this spot for dear life.

So swampurt exactly what are your credentials? There are surgeons, program directors, other attendings here that are giving basically the same advice to the OP, and yet you seem to know better...are you advertising for the “rehab” website?

So swampurt exactly what are your credentials? There are surgeons, program directors, other attendings here that are giving basically the same advice to the OP, and yet you seem to know better...are you advertising for the “rehab” website?
From his post history, appears to be an IMG (not FMG) who is looking for PGY1 or 2 position, and takes umbrage when corrected about incorrect notions. Seems to have had quite a few threads locked.

From his post history, appears to be an IMG (not FMG) who is looking for PGY1 or 2 position, and takes umbrage when corrected about incorrect notions. Seems to have had quite a few threads locked.
So exactly like conversing with a Twitter bot. I put him on ignore. Not worth it.

• Haha