Background Check and Disclosure Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backgroundcheck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Regular poster here, just looking for added anonymity as I seek to ease my anxiety.

I was recently issued a ticket for public consumption while I stopped by some tailgating friends at a sports event in NYC (I am in school in a different state). The ticket explicitly states that if I plead guilty, it would be to an offense that is not a crime in New York (ie: not even a misdemeanor), but will be on record at the office. I guess that would make it a civil offense of some sort.

Is this something I should be worried about? Most job applications I've seen only ask about crimes/misdemeanors & felonies, but it is possible that other applications might ask about any convictions for anything. And I'm also not sure if this is something that would come up on criminal background checks, which are a certainty in this field.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it could unfortunately be a problem. I have seen a few applications that want disclosure of any convictions other than traffic tickets. You may want to consult a lawyer

Hi all,

Regular poster here, just looking for added anonymity as I seek to ease my anxiety.

I was recently issued a ticket for public consumption while I stopped by some tailgating friends at a sports event in NYC (I am in school in a different state). The ticket explicitly states that if I plead guilty, it would be to an offense that is not a crime in New York (ie: not even a misdemeanor), but will be on record at the office. I guess that would make it a civil offense of some sort.

Is this something I should be worried about? Most job applications I've seen only ask about crimes/misdemeanors & felonies, but it is possible that other applications might ask about any convictions for anything. And I'm also not sure if this is something that would come up on criminal background checks, which are a certainty in this field.

Thoughts?

From what I recall, the APPIC application for internship does ask if you ever got convicted of anything aside from a minor traffic violation. I believe the VA applications also ask about this, but I can't remember now.

Members don't see this ad :)
disclose it. No company is going to bounce you for that.

Btw I (and about (30,000 of my friends) drink in the parking lots of my state's team every Saturday Sept-November, Is this a illegal, lol

disclose it. No company is going to bounce you for that.

Btw I (and about (30,000 of my friends) drink in the parking lots of my state's team every Saturday Sept-November, Is this a illegal, lol

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that too much. I have known multiple people who had worse offenses on their records and were able to get federal security clearances.

But ALWAYS disclose. It's not shady unless you don't.

Yea, tailgate drinking is often illegal, but usually selectively unenforced. The cop who wrote my ticket claimed it was to prevent "soccer fights" from taking place. :confused:

Thanks all for the advice! Should have made it clearer that I haven't been found guilty/convicted of anything yet. After reading your responses I decided to talk to someone at the DA office (friend of friend), who said I should be able to have it adjourned and then dismissed with good behavior. woot woot!